Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Cringers - look away now

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
A nice club in many ways though - the club itself, the supporters and the local Labour party were all helpful to the Albion during the war years.

They quite undid my hostility to everything at the wrong end of the Humber Bridge.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
But its WRONG

"You can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea" is INFINITELY better, it carries so much more meaning. Its the most evocative line in our unique anthem, and yet its been replaced by a line of generic nonsense. Its a real bugbear of mine (as you can probably tell), and was covered at length in its own thread a while back. I totally endorse our GOSBTS words on the screen, hopefully the next generation of Albion fans will learn the right line in the song, being as most Albion fans who have sung it wrong for years are unlikely to change now.
We've never sung the stand or fall line though have we? Traditionally we've always sung about going up and winning cups, we have all the time I've been supporting the Albion anyway.

:shrug:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
We've never sung the stand or fall line though have we? Traditionally we've always sung about going up and winning cups, we have all the time I've been supporting the Albion anyway.

Even though the original line is stand or fall , it is only recently becoming accepted as the lyric to sing , you can see people turning to correct going up to win the cuppers more and more , i reckon within 50 or so years nobody will remember us winning a cup at all :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I admit I used to go along with everyone else and mindlessly sing the "going up to win the cup" line too, back in the day. But having seen the correct lyrics over the years, I've grown fond of them and so that's what I've been singing for years now when the teams come out. I'm also growing into a cantankerous old fart, hence this is the kind of thing that now irritates me, probably to a disproportionate level.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Even though the original line is stand or fall , it is only recently becoming accepted as the lyric to sing , you can see people turning to correct going up to win the cuppers more and more , i reckon within 50 or so years nobody will remember us winning a cup at all :)
I quite like singing the proper version whilst everyone around me is der, der, der, derring.....makes me feel like a boss.

:lolol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I admit I used to go along with everyone else and mindlessly sing the "going up to win the cup" line too, back in the day. But having seen the correct lyrics over the years, I've grown fond of them and so that's what I've been singing for years now when the teams come out. I'm also growing into a cantankerous old fart, hence this is the kind of thing that now irritates me, probably to a disproportionate level.
The correct version is infinitely better than what we've been singing, the problem is that at the moment we've got two versions going on at the same time. I wonder what will win in the end.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The correct version is infinitely better than what we've been singing, the problem is that at the moment we've got two versions going on at the same time. I wonder what will win in the end.

The correct line now appears on two giant jumbotron screens at either end of the ground before every game, and is also permanently pinned in 6ft letters on a whacking great blue and white banner on the back of the North Stand. But most people STILL sing it wrong. So sadly, I think we already have our answer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

100% this (including the cantankerous old fart bit)

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
But its WRONG

"You can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea" is INFINITELY better, it carries so much more meaning. Its the most evocative line in our unique anthem, and yet its been replaced by a line of generic nonsense. Its a real bugbear of mine (as you can probably tell), and was covered at length in its own thread a while back. I totally endorse our GOSBTS words on the screen, hopefully the next generation of Albion fans will learn the right line in the song, being as most Albion fans who have sung it wrong for years are unlikely to change now.

But it is was what I have always sung since the 60s.

Football fans always change the lyrics, it is part of what we do :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hull fans came up with one of my favourite 'away' chants to us, in the cup game. It's original.

You're so southern, you're practically French.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I reckon within 50 or so years nobody will remember us winning a cup at all.
Fifty years? I doubt if there's anyone alive today who can remember us winning a cup (or in our case, a shield).

Still, 'We're all going up to win the shield' doesn't quite work as well, does it.............

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
39A2A8B700000578-3864322-image-a-166_1477230440598.jpg

I know a lot of you apparently physically shrink down into your coats when the words to GOSBTS are trotted out on the big screens. Personally I have no problem with it - ANYTHING that helps us learn to sing our hallowed 'Stand or Fall' line instead of the nonsensical 'going up to win the cup' line is alright in my book. However, Hull have taken it to a whole new level, by scrolling fans chants across the back of their advertising hoardings. Now I have to say, that truly does show an astonishing degree of TINPOTTEDNESS.

How the frig did they go up instead of us. What a total waste of a perfectly good PL place they are.

Thats just Simon Cowell doing the X-Factor Auditions in the Hull Region of the UK - That way he can reject everyone from Hull all at the same time to save them wasting their time applying individually

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There are three versions because some sing 'Going up to win the cup', some sing 'Going up AND we'll win the cup, and the proper version which is 'You MAY (not can) tell them all, that we'll stand or fall'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fifty years? I doubt if there's anyone alive today who can remember us winning a cup (or in our case, a shield).

Still, 'We're all going up to win the shield' doesn't quite work as well, does it.............

We've won several cups recently including the League 1, Division 1 and 2, and play off trophies/cups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here