Now with squad complete, where do you think we will finish?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
1st - I cannot wait for the end of the season when this thread is bounced

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Go on then. I've had a bit of a look, as it's always good to know what you're up against.

Barnsley - Past-it units Mido and Harewood came in, along with fellow free agents Cywka, Kelvin Etuhu and of course, last week's hero David Gonzalez. Very tough season ahead
Birmingham City - Jordan Mutch has gone, but Zigic didn't end up moving yesterday. They have got hold of Ambrose, the talented but mental Ravel Morrison, Lovenkrands and Swindon skipper Caddis. Fairly solid squad.
Blackburn Rovers - Rhodes has come in, as has CKR, loads of Portuguese youngsters and at the other end of the scale, Veteran Nuno Gomes. Lost the likes of Hoilett and Nzonzi, but still a very large squad
Blackpool - Have kept hold of Ince and Matt Phillips, and now have a lot of strength in depth going forward with pacy additions Dicko, Eccleston and Delfouneso giving Kevin Phillips and Taylor-Fletcher competition. No Dobbie though.
Bolton Wanderers - Retained of most of their squad that came down, and have added Jay Spearing, Afobe and Keith Andrews to their ranks
Brighton & Hove Albion - We all know
Bristol City - Sam Baldock is their marquee signing, but they also have Tom Heaton in goal and Paul Anderson (formerly of Forest) on their books now
Burnley - Rodriguez has gone, replacing him with Sam Vokes. Have also signed big defenders Shackell, Joseph Mills and Hull's Cameron Stewart
Cardiff City - Who haven't they bought? Obviously Noone has joined, but they have also added Bellamy, Helguson, Maynard, Tommy Smith, Jordan Mutch, Slovenia striker Velikonja and South Korean star Kim Bo-Kyung. Just ridiculous.
Charlton Athletic - Almost all of their League One winning squad are still there, along with Ricardo Fuller
Crystal Palace - Have signed Wilbraham, Goodwillie, Bolasie, Andre Moritz and ballerina Darcy Blake. Here's hoping for a struggle and six points off them.
Derby County - Lost Shackell and Davies, now have promising Northampton winger Jacobs and Conor Sammon. Clough junior is relying on stalwarts and a lot of youngsters coming through
Huddersfield Town - Rhodes has gone, but a lot of new players have come in, including James Vaughan, Adam Hammill, Scannell, former seagull Joel Lynch and Adam Clayton from Leeds
Hull City - Steve Bruce has bought big, landing Aluko, Proschwitz, Alhammady from former club Sunderland, Abdoulaye Faye and Ben Amos. And his little boy.
Ipswich Town - Paul Taylor has joined from Posh as their only permanent deal, but as there are some things that money can't buy, they have also got in midfield powerhouse N'Daw and Daryl Murphy in on loan
Leeds United - Colin, unsurprisingly, has bought a fair few players in this summer, including lovechild Paddy Kenny, Peltier, Varney and El Hadji Diouf, though Snodgrass will be tough to replace. Has done well to keep McCormack as well.
Leicester City - No major sales, still a strong squad and have now added non-league goal machine Jamie Vardy. Still amongst the favourites to win the division
Middlesbrough - Joe Bennett and Barry Robson have gone, but Emnes is still there. Lower league signings Friend, Carayol and Ledesma have joined, as well as Woodgate, Grant Leadbitter and loanees Ishmael Miller and most eye-catching, Josh McEachran. Lot of promising youngsters coming through too
Millwall - Defenders Danny Shittu and Karleight Osbourne have joined, but bar that, it's pretty much the same squad that finished well and pulled away from relegation trouble late last season
Nottingham Forest - New Kuwaiti owners, cue a shopping spree. In have come Simon Cox, Guedioura, Lansbury, Danny Collins and er, Greg Halford and Dan Harding. They've also just landed Billy Sharp on loan.
Peterborough United - Barely any business - the latest member of the Ferdinand football dynasty, Kane, joined from Southend yesterday. Front man Paul Taylor left for Ipswich, but George Boyd hasn't gone - yet.
Sheffield Wednesday - Quite a few new arrivals - Rodri from Barcelona B already looks to be the league's bargain of the season. Could strike up a cracking partnership with Jay Bothroyd. Reading's Antonio, Watford lump Martin Taylor and some bloke called Joe Mattock are also there now
Watford Have lost centre-halves Mariappa and Taylor, but have made the interesting summer singing of the entire Udinese development squad. And Nyron Nosworthy.
Wolverhampton Wanderers Have cashed in on Fletcher and Jarvis for silly money, but still have a pretty vast and useful group of players. Three summer signings from the French top flight, Doumbia, Sako and Boukari, could be absolutely anything.

Having trawled through the ins and outs everywhere, I think anything could happen this year - about 18 of the teams look strong, and everyone around all those sides must think they're in with a realistic shout of promotion. All this high expectation also means that there will be a lot of disappointed people come May.

We can compete, we can challenge, and we do have cover for every position now. It could be a brilliant season for us, but I have this niggling feeling that our away form might let us down though, and if I had to make any kind of prediction now, it would be that we finish about 12th or 13th.

I really don't think we need to concern ourselves too much with the competition''s signings.

For me, the key is who we have signed, relative to Gus' style of play.

We did not have the best squad when we walked League 1. We had a system, and the players to deliver it. Last season, we still had the system, but not the players to make it work when things got tougher.

Now, we still have the system, and we also appear have a squad of players capable of delivering it. I see a strong possibility of our recent League 1 exploits being repeated.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Same as I said 3 months ago. 4th.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still 5th.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hearing that. I reckon we'll finish somewhere between 1st & 24th possibly 1st to 21st... Sorry mate couldn't resist

:D deserved to be honest , I hedge my bets but I reckon as things stand around then .. however a few more decent results and the gap could shorten for me

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
We were missing strength in depth last season, we now have that. 4th for me.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
top 6, if CMS keeps firing then anything is possible. Only concern is injuries, Bridcutt out for any extended period of time and it will be tough. Can't wait to see Lopez, Dobbie & Orlandi, if they all settle and we find a good rhythm then we'll give anyone a very hard game this year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My concern, like many, is an injury to Bridcutt so I would like to see Gus bring in either a young Premiership loan player who could cover for him or even an old head on his last legs who is prepared to act as a stand by.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Now we've got some decent signings under our belt and CMS seemingly on fire, I'll go for 4th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports