Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NOW is time to get excited about the play-offs this time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have a feeling of aprehension rather than confident expectation for Friday but we shall just have to wait and see how CH has picked the team up and installed fresh confidence in them.

Last edited:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Haven't posted in bloody years but this is the one thread that has provoked me to. I, for one, am ridiculously excited and can hardly think of anything else. Probably for purely selfish reasons that I'd rather be with tens of thousands of Brighton fans on Monday night and then at Wembley to cheer us to the Premier League, rather than in a Coventry pub with zero atmosphere like I was on Saturday. Not sure if anyone else who had to stay at home felt this way or not, but going up at Boro whilst watching elsewhere just didn't feel a right way to end 33 years outside the top flight. I'm probably in the minority here. I'm simply buzzing for Sheff Weds at home and I honestly think we will batter them out of pure frustration.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
No. Totally the reverse. As soon as we got Palace in the playoffs in 2013 I had the creeping onset of doom. In 2014 we pulled off a mini-miracle just getting to the playoffs and it always felt as though Derby were a class apart.

This time around I feel like we are proper contenders. We've the squad and the manager to really complete. Let's do this!

Absolutely. Granted that the play-offs can be a lottery and we could still have more refs like that xxxx on Saturday, but surely we are far stronger than in the two previous competitions. It will not be easy, and doubtless edgy at times, but we do have the team to come through it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Haven't posted in bloody years but this is the one thread that has provoked me to. I, for one, am ridiculously excited and can hardly think of anything else. Probably for purely selfish reasons that I'd rather be with tens of thousands of Brighton fans on Monday night and then at Wembley to cheer us to the Premier League, rather than in a Coventry pub with zero atmosphere like I was on Saturday. Not sure if anyone else who had to stay at home felt this way or not, but going up at Boro whilst watching elsewhere just didn't feel a right way to end 33 years outside the top flight. I'm probably in the minority here. I'm simply buzzing for Sheff Weds at home and I honestly think we will batter them out of pure frustration.

Why don't you post more out of interest?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Why don't you post more out of interest?

For my own sanity. Let's put it this way, I managed to wind myself up all over again about Stephens' red just by spending 45 minutes browsing NSC and Owlstalk last night. Imagine if I was actively contributing to the discussion...

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
For my own sanity. Let's put it this way, I managed to wind myself up all over again about Stephens' red just by spending 45 minutes browsing NSC and Owlstalk last night. Imagine if I was actively contributing to the discussion...

Don't read the Palace forum right now fella. You won't have any sanity left.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
If we get to the final I'll be in full albion mojo mood. At the moment I can't help but feel like it's been snatched away from us.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Wonderful. I agree completely.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Does anyone else feel like this?

It's not that we've been there twice recently, it's not that I don't think we have a fighting chance, it's just that I STILL feel numb after Saturday. I just can't get excited by these fixtures. Anyone else feeling like this, or is it just me?

100% this. I hope it will change and i'm sure it will after Friday. It would be brilliant to have a big Wembley promotion party to look forward. The Millennium, Stadium play off was brilliant but i can't think past these 2 Wednesday games at present.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Does anyone else feel like this?

It's not that we've been there twice recently, it's not that I don't think we have a fighting chance, it's just that I STILL feel numb after Saturday. I just can't get excited by these fixtures. Anyone else feeling like this, or is it just me?

Completely agree with this. Exact opposite of last time when we sneaked in at the end. The whole Stephens thing has made me feel the fates are against us too. However, by Friday I'm sure I'll be up for it again.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Actually i am the opposite......looking forward to them WEMBLEY TO WEMBLEY VIA HEREFORD......They will write a book about it one day..

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
r

the decision to send off Stephens had little effect on the game, we showed more attacking intent and looked more likely to score with 10 men!

Absurd, I'm afraid. We had just scored. The momentum was with us. We would have battered at their door with Stephens involved, and still had a real go with 10. How you can think that we had more attacking intent because we were down to 10 (which is what you infer) is beyond me.

Personally, I feel quite flat. If Friday is not a disaster, this will change.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Hope you are right. After what happened Saturday, I don't feel very confident. However, will be much more up for it by the time I get to Hillsborough on Friday.

I hope i am right too,would make a great fairytale....

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm very meh about the playoffs, predominantly because I don't think we'll be the team that goes up and that just means more bitter disappointment. HOWEVER I don't believe my jadedness stems from the Boro match on Saturday and in fact I think we bollocks'd up with the Derby game.

Given that Boro dicked us the last time we played them we really needed to head there with the upper hand, like only needing a draw from the game rather than having to win. Beating a Derby side without a great deal to play for would have handed us that chance to be the *******s who go up north and spoil the promotion party at the Riverside. But we didn't beat Derby. We were shit.

It was after the Derby game that I realised this wasn't our season after all and I felt really deflated, despite the fact we still had TWO potential routes to promotion. I had zero faith we'd beat Boro and was resigned to the fact we'd be glumly facing the festival of disappointment that is the playoffs.

Why this is so disappointing is because of how we started the season and all the stats being bandied about that seemed to show all the odds were in our favour. No other teams doing what we were doing had failed to go up before. Surely the writing was on the wall and the glory was our destiny...

We had our wobble but we brought in reinforcements and came back stronger and we were on a right roll before the Derby game which looked as if we were hitting our peak just in time to seal promotion in truly glorious style.

But we fudged it against Derby. The team just didn't play very well and then Dunk let us down (again). That was when the season ended for me. Yes I'll watch the playoff games but I foresee only misery. With a deflated atmosphere in the camp and two of our best players unavailable, not to mention the fact that the likes of Kayal and Bruno are proper shattered, I honestly think that over two legs Wednesday will do it. Still, at least we'll be spared the heartache of a Wembley defeat.

On the plus side I like the Championship and am hopeful we won't lose any of our better players over the summer (realistically I'd say it's probably only Kayal and Stephens who'd attract any Premier League interest, and I'm hopeful they'll stay put) so perhaps next season we'll absolutely storm the title. Of the relegated Premier League teams Villa won't be much of a threat and I'd certainly fancy Hughton to get the better of Newcastle so the most likely competition we'll face will come from a mediocre Norwich side hoping to bounce back and the two other playoff teams who don't make it. I mean, there are bound to be a few surprise packages (like us this season), but all in all we've got most of it in place so I don't see why we can't mount a more sustained title assault for 2016/17.

Now to just get this pesky playoff defeat out the way

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm very meh about the playoffs, predominantly because I don't think we'll be the team that goes up and that just means more bitter disappointment. HOWEVER I don't believe my jadedness stems from the Boro match on Saturday and in fact I think we bollocks'd up with the Derby game.

Given that Boro dicked us the last time we played them we really needed to head there with the upper hand, like only needing a draw from the game rather than having to win. Beating a Derby side without a great deal to play for would have handed us that chance to be the *******s who go up north and spoil the promotion party at the Riverside. But we didn't beat Derby. We were shit.

It was after the Derby game that I realised this wasn't our season after all and I felt really deflated, despite the fact we still had TWO potential routes to promotion. I had zero faith we'd beat Boro and was resigned to the fact we'd be glumly facing the festival of disappointment that is the playoffs.

Why this is so disappointing is because of how we started the season and all the stats being bandied about that seemed to show all the odds were in our favour. No other teams doing what we were doing had failed to go up before. Surely the writing was on the wall and the glory was our destiny...

We had our wobble but we brought in reinforcements and came back stronger and we were on a right roll before the Derby game which looked as if we were hitting our peak just in time to seal promotion in truly glorious style.

But we fudged it against Derby. The team just didn't play very well and then Dunk let us down (again). That was when the season ended for me. Yes I'll watch the playoff games but I foresee only misery. With a deflated atmosphere in the camp and two of our best players unavailable, not to mention the fact that the likes of Kayal and Bruno are proper shattered, I honestly think that over two legs Wednesday will do it. Still, at least we'll be spared the heartache of a Wembley defeat.

On the plus side I like the Championship and am hopeful we won't lose any of our better players over the summer (realistically I'd say it's probably only Kayal and Stephens who'd attract any Premier League interest, and I'm hopeful they'll stay put) so perhaps next season we'll absolutely storm the title. Of the relegated Premier League teams Villa won't be much of a threat and I'd certainly fancy Hughton to get the better of Newcastle so the most likely competition we'll face will come from a mediocre Norwich side hoping to bounce back and the two other playoff teams who don't make it. I mean, there are bound to be a few surprise packages (like us this season), but all in all we've got most of it in place so I don't see why we can't mount a more sustained title assault for 2016/17.

Now to just get this pesky playoff defeat out the way

Yes, this. That's the spirit. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here