[Albion] Nottingham Forest vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If you try refereeing a high level match for 90 minutes with the majority of decisions being in a grey area you would realise how difficult it is to be spot on. But a ref will never be spot on because everyone, well most, see it through a prism.

And then you get comments like #770 @Seagull58 who thinks that someone who didn't referee to their team's benefit is 'an utter ****. Just a disgusting waste of oxygen'. If it causes that much of a reaction I would suggest reading a good book on a Saturday afternoon instead.
He was and is an utter ****. He is an utter **** in every match he referees Completely useless, random decision-msking. He'll give a yellow for kicking the ball away once but not the next time. He's also arrogant and over-officious.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Much like ours it was soft. Unlike ours it wasn’t given on pitch.

Bizarre decision for VAR to decide they needed to intervene on such a subjective decision.
.......................and that is what rankles, not so much the decisions VAR makes, but the random way they seem to decide when to intervene. Soft penalty? - go with the on-field decision. Which they failed to do today.
Where they should have intervened today was the foul on Pedro - clear red, or at least a second yellow; classic example of where they should have told the ref to have a look at the screen.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
No-one has actually pinpointed what Taylor did wrong.
Well he booked Bounanotte for kicking the ball away and didn't Gibbs-White for doing the same.

He waved play on for the Forest pen and on looking at a VAR replay which seemed inconclusive he changed his mind.

He didn't speak to or book (red card) the Forest player who stood on J.Pedro and then kicked him trying to reach the ball.

He.................. (I lost count)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well we won but I was not at all enamoured by the way we did. RDZ’s comments about referees clearly got to the players. Dunk was stupid to get sent off and we hung on. It now feels like an injury crisis with FatI and Lamptey joining the long list.
Lino should have helped him out there - literally a yard away
You wonder about there worth these days

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Even Fifa hardly award English referees tournament places any more because they are so poor.

Since 2000 the English refs have taken part in every World Cup and Euro tournament apart from the 2018 World Cup.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The rugby comparison is fair. Rugby ref's have respect for their consistency and their decision making which is heard by all of us, dissent is pretty much absent. In answer to your previous question, Taylor is poor, and I cannot for the life of me see how you think that was level headed given he was part of the reason it all kicked off. He has always been inconsistent, and has turned the tide of many a game as he did today. What Dunk did was wrong, but I would like to see on a replay what got Dunk so riled up, and I'd suggest it will be something Taylor completely missed (again). I'll eat my hat if it isn't.
Having watched rugby for many years, I can assure you that refs miss a lot. Much of which is unavoidable. The players, mostly, just accept it. There is also the help of VAR which is good at ruling on tries.

But right from a young age discipline is drilled in and the ref is off limits. But I can assure you that, although the language is politer, rugby forums are full of moans.

You cannot assume that Dunk was picking up on something that was missed. It's an example of the default position I'm talking about. Dunk clearly said something that crossed a bad line. Only has himself to blame.

I watch matches from a neutral point of view excepting that I have a team I support. In this case Albion. Sometimes I see poor refereeing decisions. But the majority that are claimed to be poor are partisan and decisions I had no beef with when I saw them live. There are grey areas, and as long as the referee is impartial it's fine.

I saw nothing, I say nothing, in Taylor's performance today that I did any more than 'maybe' waving hand to. The penalties with both Stockleys. And it kicked off after the second verdict. That is a player problem. And, as I said, the referee is not a nanny.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
  • Overturned a decision based on inconclusive evidence
  • Random implementation of giving yellow cards for kicking the ball away
  • Inconsistent bookings for timewasting
Have you noticed that all of the points you make affected Albion only ?

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Had to crack open the red wine early after that! That was STRESSFUL. Loved the reaction from De Zerbi and the boys on the full time whistle.
Cheers all! 😅

Brilliant season defining win - the whiole point of De Zerbisin is to build the team that doesn’t rely on one player. Ok let’s do that now

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Brighton striker Evan Ferguson speaking to BBC Match of the Day:

"It was a mad old game! It was worth it for the three points."

"We've dropped points in those moments [after Lewis Dunk's red card] and today we came together as a team to push over the line."

"Every game there's an opportunity to impress and that is what I hope to do when I come in. The manager is very invested, really emotional and he can't help himself. He wouldn't just walk over to the fans and celebrate!"
that's a great comment from young Evan 👍...."The manager is very invested"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well we won but I was not at all enamoured by the way we did. RDZ’s comments about referees clearly got to the players. Dunk was stupid to get sent off and we hung on. It now feels like an injury crisis with Fati and Lamptey joining the long list.
Probably got to the referees too - can't see us getting the benefit of the doubt too often for a while!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports