Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Going Mental Over This One?

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
I agree with our Saints fan here. He's a qualified psychologist and is obviously playing mind games but only with limited success. I wouldn't worry about Adkins. If (and I do expect them to) Saints go up then I really don't think Adkins is the man to lead them to a premiership push. He has far too many limitations as a manager and he won't be able to play the big fish in a little pond/every game's a cup final for the opposition card in the Championship. Saints are just another medium-sized provincial club in a league full of medium-sized provincial clubs.

I just wish commentators would not indulge these managers so often. Adkins isn't the worst by a long stretch although he's the most cliched but yesterday he was saying that it was impossible to judge the Saints current position against the other contenders because of a lack of parity regarding matches played. Not quite true as Brighton and Saints do have parity and we are top ahead of Saints by 10 points. That's 4 games we'd need to lose and 4 games Saints would need to win just to start to overtake us.

As I said, Adkins won't be Saints manager for too much longer so stop fretting.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Adkins knows that if Plymouth fold before the end of the season and they beat us at Withdean there is only a 1 point gap to make up and would they have a superior goal difference.

Should this unlikely scenario occur.......we would also have a game in hand on Southampton too.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Brighton are easily the best team in this division. Gus Poyet has done a marvellous job in instigating a winning blend of continental flair and technique married with British character and passion - and he's done it without having the playing budget of some of the other clubs in this division. Their marvellous fans, who travel in vast numbers, are a credit to football with their deafening, non-stop support and amazing repertoire of witty and cutting songs. None of us have a cat's chance in hell of stopping them from being crowned champions and they're probably the best team ever to get promoted into the Championship. It's a privilege and an honour to play them even though they are so superior that every match results in a Brighton victory. Us lesser mortals can only marvel at their brilliance and prostrate ourselves at their feet."

Signed: All the other managers in League One.

There. That better?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Adkins is under a lot of pressure, he is managing one of the two 'big' clubs in the division (The other being Wendy). If Stains not get promoted somehow his days are numbered. He has to keep stringing their fans along rather than admit he's a loser. Frankly why bother worrying about what he says, it's all hyperbole at the end of the day.

For the record, talking of 'big' clubs the most successful in this division is 'Udders although you need to go a long way back to find it. In terms of the last of the last ten years however the most successful club is the one that has won two Championships, a Play Off Final and it on it's way to another Championship, apparently they're a 'small' club according to some.

Stumpy Tim

Adkins comes across perfectly fine in that interview. Some people on this thread come across as self-absorbed fanny farts. So a manager wants his team to win the league... What's the f***ing problem with that?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Previous posters are right...Adkins won't survive...he's not good enough for them and their ambition.
He'll talk the talk until the cows come home, smile his cheesey smile and dish out as many soundbites as he can manage but deep down he knows he's punching above his weight. The Saints fans have been taken in by him so far but if they go up,his limitations will be exposed.
He talked his way up from physio to manager at Scunthorpe and had reasonable success and you can't blame him for putting himself in the frame for the Saints job...after all...it was the plummiest job in Div.1, with promotion a shoe-in. He obviously interviews well, as a lot of managers do but eventually it catches up with them.
He has no pedigree and no clout within the game. He is just a good talker.
Now, you might argue that a good motivator backed up with a good coach is an ideal scenario but he is too cliched, too predictable and too full of himself.
Southampton didn't expect to play catch-up this season. They expected to walk this division and with their resources, they should have done.
He's talking up them winning the title because thats what all Saints fans expected. Anything short of this is below par.
I still think they will go up automatically but it is not down to Mr.Soundbite...its down to the players and the coaches.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I agree with our Saints fan here. He's a qualified psychologist and is obviously playing mind games but only with limited success.

I think "Making Plans For" Nigel is a qualified physiotherapist rather than a psychologist.

I'd much rather he was a psychologist as there are endless comic possibilities of having Barnard on the couch trying to deal with his brawling tendencies and Lambert getting aversion therapy to treat his thirst for booze.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here