Not Going Mental Over This One?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But surely rather than harping on about how they can win the league he should be saying that they can 'get promoted'. It's arrogance again. Rather than focusing on the main thing smack in their face (promotion - 2nd place / winning the play-offs) he hurdles that and keeps harping on about the title and us. He's a twat.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Compare and contrast to Lee Clark, who gave Swindon due credit for achieving a point against his team... I know who I would prefer to be the manager of the 2nd-placed team, and it ain't that arrogant t0sser Adkins...

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Adkins is an arrogant & gobby nobber.

That is my carefully considered addition to this particular discussion.

Good Day

sotonseagull

Feb 8, 2008
southampton
The man is a right doughnut. But I have to say its not just the manager thats soo frigging arrogant - it's the whole town.

For the past 3 months my neighbour has been telling me how they are gonna catch us up and beat us. I've maintained my inner confidence in our team with a quite smile...At the beginning of the season I thought it would be good If both Albion and Southampton go up - so it's an easy away game for me to get to (as I live in Southampton) but the more the season goes on, I'm now thinking f*** em - to be in a higher division then them next season would be quality...then let my neighbour tell me how good they are. C***. lol

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Compare and contrast to Lee Clark, who gave Swindon due credit for achieving a point against his team... I know who I would prefer to be the manager of the 2nd-placed team, and it ain't that arrogant t0sser Adkins...

This.

Despite being a Grade-A bellend when we faced them earlier in the season, I thought Lee Clark really came across well as an honest, grounded manager on The Football League Show last night.

As for Adkins, has he at any point this season given us the remotest plaudit or piece of credit that we in general, or any other side in the division that play well against them deserve?

To paraphrase Clark's old boss, I will love it if we beat them (SCC) and prevent them from going up with us.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
But surely rather than harping on about how they can win the league he should be saying that they can 'get promoted'. It's arrogance again. Rather than focusing on the main thing smack in their face (promotion - 2nd place / winning the play-offs) he hurdles that and keeps harping on about the title and us. He's a twat.
This. Why is he obsessed with catching us? He should be going on about them winning promotion, yet he seems strangely focussed on them being champions.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
:yawn: No one cares Adkins you muppet. The seagulls are owning this league and EVERYONE knows it. Lord knows how good a job Poyet could do if he had everything that Adkins has available to him in terms of facilities.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
God I hope they stay down and we nick Lambert from them in the summer(he is a real handfull).....Whats the chances of us winning the title and having the trophy a Withdean the night we play them...Is that mathamaticly possible???????.....That would just be fantastic.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who cares what Adkins thinks? I don't. And in terms of mind games wouldn't it be better for Adkins to "concede" the title to the Albion now. For me the only way we can f*** this up is thinking we've got it in the bag before we actually have. We had good teams breathing down our next in the Autumn yet have managed to increase the gap between us and them as each week has passed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Adkins knows that if Plymouth fold before the end of the season and they beat us at Withdean there is only a 1 point gap to make up and would they have a superior goal difference.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
God I hope they stay down and we nick Lambert from them in the summer(he is a real handfull).....Whats the chances of us winning the title and having the trophy a Withdean the night we play them...Is that mathamaticly possible???????.....That would just be fantastic.
Lambert playing for us in the championship NO THANKS

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just reading it I dont think that Adkins really believes that they will catch us but he has to say that to keep the fans happy but as he says anythings is possible if we bottle it, which incidentally I dont think that we will.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Southampton need Peterborough to lose a bit of form if they're to finish 2nd. I hope Peterborough come up behind us, Southampton vs Bournemouth in the play-off final would be fairly epic!

sotonseagull

Feb 8, 2008
southampton
Who cares what Adkins thinks? I don't. And in terms of mind games wouldn't it be better for Adkins to "concede" the title to the Albion now. For me the only way we can f*** this up is thinking we've got it in the bag before we actually have. We had good teams breathing down our next in the Autumn yet have managed to increase the gap between us and them as each week has passed.

This.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He has stated his belief that they can still catch Brighton- which they can. Bearing in mind that they have no guarantees of even a promotion slot, it is only natural that such belief would need to be instilled in his team. It is actually good management, the same kind of management that has afforded him success elsewhere. It is also a kind of belief that Ferguson instilled in Manchester United back in 95/96 when they were so far behind Keegan's Newcastle.....

If Adkins read these threads he would be most pleased at the reaction.
If so then he is genuinely a retard, upsetting a few people on the internet while Gus and the team just ignore it, or dismiss it if the question is ever asked, is not footballl management.

I don't see why people worry about it so, when they win, he mentions us, when they don't he doesn't. If anything this week's Brighton Mention seems more resigned than any so far.

"we have to keep believing that"

Hardly "if they can keep up with us" is it?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

I think is simply good management by Adkins. He is getting his players to fix their eyes not on the minimum he needs - promotion - but the prize slightly futher on. So even if they fall a bit short, they'll have achieved what they actually need. Imagine if you are in charge of a gang of lumberjacks. You know that you need 80 trees cut down today, you tell them their target is 100 and they bust a gut trying to reach them. Even if they only manage 85, the job is done.

Of course, it's not quite the same since Soton players should also know that promotion is all that really matters. But if Adkins can convince them they need to win the title (get the idea fixed in thier minds) it will work for him.

He may or may not be a tosser, but he seems to know how to manage an under-achieving club.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
To be fair, he just spews out the same Adkinisms at every interview - "it is about winning football matches", "since I've been in the building....(or on the bus)", "we just want to be as good as we can be", "the boys are now taking care of business before the next game" etc etc etc. He never really gives much insight into anything: SaintsWeb

I have only ever heard him mention Brighton when directly asked about them by the interviewer. He is bound to spout on about winning the title for as long as it is mathematically possible, just like Ancelloti, Wenger and Mancini bang on about still being able to win the PL. Most realistic Saints fans know that Brighton are all but Champions, and worthy Champions at that - but the club have still got to aim for the Title and fall one place short, because aiming for second and finishing one place short will be a failure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports