Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Northampton Town v Brighton & Hove Albion Carling Cup 1st Round *** Official !!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Argus Report:

Disastrous night for Albion

9:49pm Tuesday 10th August 2010
Albion crashed out of the Carling Cup with a 2-0 defeat on a disastrous night at Northampton.

Goalkeeper Michael Poke made a huge howler for the Cobblers' first goal to get the evening off to a bad start.

It got worse as Matt Sparrow was controversially sent off before the interval and half-time substitute Alan Navarro was stretchered off with what could be a serious knee injury.

Gus Poyet made seven changes to the side that won at Swindon on Saturday, including giving debuts to Poke, Agustin Battipiedi and Cristian Baz.

On the bench was first-year pro Ryan Thomson along with fellow youngsters Steve Cook and Mitch Walker plus four players who started Saturday's game.

Albion fell behind on 12 minutes when Poke allowed a shot from youngster Michael Jacobs through his legs, although he may argue Marcos Painter should have blocked the strike.

It was 2-0 seven minutes later when Ryan Gilligan sent over a delightful cross from the right which Billy McKay headed into the corner.

The game was effectively over ten minutes before the break when Sparrow was harshly shown a straight red card. He pushed Abdul Osman to the ground after conceding a free-kick but it looked no more than a bookable offence.

Poyet made a double change at half-time but Navarro lasted just eight minutes before falling awkwardly and immediately signalling to the bench.
After that it was a case of damage limitation, with substitute Elliott Bennett having Albion's only shot on target in the second half in the dying seconds.

While disappointing to lose to a League Two side, the biggest loss of the night will be Sparrow to a three-match suspension and Navarro to injury.

Albion: Poke; Whing, Elphick, El-Abd, Painter; Battipiedi, Sparrow, Dicker; Holroyd (sub Navarro 46 (sub Smith 55), Hart, Baz (sub Bennett 46). Subs: Barnes, Cook, Thomson, Walker.

Northampton: Jansson; Johnson, Beckwirth, Holt, Hall; Gilligan (sub Thornton 61), Osman, Wedderburn, Jacobs; McKay (sub Herbert 78), Guinan (sub Purcell 72). Subs: Rodgers, Walker, Konstantinou, Harris.

Referee: Craig Pawson (South Yorkshire).
Match analysis and pictures in The Argus tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 2719

Argus Report:

Disastrous night for Albion

9:49pm Tuesday 10th August 2010
Albion crashed out of the Carling Cup with a 2-0 defeat on a disastrous night at Northampton.

Goalkeeper Michael Poke made a huge howler for the Cobblers' first goal to get the evening off to a bad start.

It got worse as Matt Sparrow was controversially sent off before the interval and half-time substitute Alan Navarro was stretchered off with what could be a serious knee injury.

Gus Poyet made seven changes to the side that won at Swindon on Saturday, including giving debuts to Poke, Agustin Battipiedi and Cristian Baz.

On the bench was first-year pro Ryan Thomson along with fellow youngsters Steve Cook and Mitch Walker plus four players who started Saturday's game.

Albion fell behind on 12 minutes when Poke allowed a shot from youngster Michael Jacobs through his legs, although he may argue Marcos Painter should have blocked the strike.

It was 2-0 seven minutes later when Ryan Gilligan sent over a delightful cross from the right which Billy McKay headed into the corner.

The game was effectively over ten minutes before the break when Sparrow was harshly shown a straight red card. He pushed Abdul Osman to the ground after conceding a free-kick but it looked no more than a bookable offence.

Poyet made a double change at half-time but Navarro lasted just eight minutes before falling awkwardly and immediately signalling to the bench.
After that it was a case of damage limitation, with substitute Elliott Bennett having Albion's only shot on target in the second half in the dying seconds.

While disappointing to lose to a League Two side, the biggest loss of the night will be Sparrow to a three-match suspension and Navarro to injury.

Albion: Poke; Whing, Elphick, El-Abd, Painter; Battipiedi, Sparrow, Dicker; Holroyd (sub Navarro 46 (sub Smith 55), Hart, Baz (sub Bennett 46). Subs: Barnes, Cook, Thomson, Walker.

Northampton: Jansson; Johnson, Beckwirth, Holt, Hall; Gilligan (sub Thornton 61), Osman, Wedderburn, Jacobs; McKay (sub Herbert 78), Guinan (sub Purcell 72). Subs: Rodgers, Walker, Konstantinou, Harris.

Referee: Craig Pawson (South Yorkshire).
Match analysis and pictures in The Argus tomorrow.

Shit that depressed me i had forgotten all about the match...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
From the Official Site:

Northampton vs Brighton
ClubLogo.gif

2 - 0
ClubLogo.gif

Date:
10/08/2010 Venue:
Sixfields Stadium Attendance:
2,431 Referee:
C Pawson​

By Luke Nicoli, at Sixfields

Albion crashed out of the Carling Cup on a disastrous night at Sixfields.
Aside from losing the game to two first-half goals inside three minutes, Matt Sparrow was sent off following a clash with Cobblers midfielder Abdul Osman, while sub Alan Navarro was stretchered off with a serious-looking knee injury.

Sparrow's early bath leaves him sidelined for the forthcoming league games with Rochdale, Sheffield Wednesday and Walsall, while Navarro's absence is yet to be determined.

Having made seven changes from the side which beat Swindon Town on Saturday, Gus Poyet's side endured a torrid opening to the game and were two down inside the first 20 minutes.

The Cobblers simply flew out of the blocks and took a deserved lead on 13 minutes when Michael Jacobs cut in from the right before drilling his shot through the legs of Albion debutant keeper Michael Poke.

With their tails up, they doubled their lead soon after when Billy McKay rose highest to connect with Ryan Gilligan's deep right-wing cross.

Albion's night went from bad to worse on 35 minutes when Sparrow was given his marching orders for raising his arm in a tangle with Osman.

Unfortunately for the former Scunthorpe man it happened right under the nose of referee Craig Pawson, who had no hesitation in sending off Saturday's two-goal hero at Swindon.

The closest Albion came to reducing the deficit before the break came on 23 minutes when Agustin Battipiedi connected with compatriot Cristian Baz's corner, only to see his close-range header well held by Oscar Jansson.

Baz also saw a long-range drive well held by Jansson but the hosts were good value for their half-time lead.

Poyet made two changes at the break, with Navarro replacing Chris Holroyd and Baz making way for Elliott Bennett.

Bennett's pace down the right flank set up a speculative effort for Marcos Painter but just as the visitors looked to have found a foothold in the game, the night got even worse when Navarro was stretchered off just eight minutes after his introduction.

In an attempt to cut out a cross down Northampton's left flank, he appeared to get his studs caught in the Sixfields turf. After some lengthy time receiving treatment, the midfielder looked in some distress as he left the field.

Jamie Smith entered the fray but the incident appeared to knock the wind out of Albion's sails, and they were lucky not to fall further behind when Nathaniel Wedderburn's close-range header fell the wrong side of the post.

Sub Tadhg Purcell also flashed a header wide for the hosts, while Poke saved well from Courtney Herbert.

The best Albion could muster was a weak and wayward shot by Smith - an effort which just about summed a sorry night up for Poyet's lacklustre men.

Northampton: (4-4-2) Jansson, Johnson, Holt, Beckwith, Hall; Gilligan (Thornton 62), Osman, Wedderburn, Jacobs; Guinan (Purcell 72), McKay (Herbert 79). Subs not used: Rodgers, Walker (GK), Konstantinou, Harris.

Albion: (4-4-2) Poke, Whing, Elphick, El-Abd, Painter; Dicker, Battipiedi, Sparrow, Baz (Bennett 46); Hart, Holroyd (Navarro 46 (Jamie Smith 53)). Subs not used: Walker (GK), Barnes, Cook, Thomson.

Referee: Craig Pawson.
Yellow Cards: Gilligan (Northampton); Battipiedi, Elphick, Dicker (Albion).
Red Cards: Sparrow (violent conduct, three-match ban) (Albion).

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Both the Argus and Official Site match reports are being very kind to Whing.

The second goal was a direct result of him hitting a speculative 50 yard cross field ball which was intercepted, fed down the right channel and led to the goal seconds later.

Unfortunately he then continued to be woeful for the rest of the night.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hopefully he will get sent off too.

Oh shit, that means making a tackle.

Looks like he will run around in the centre circle for another 45 minues then.
Must be getting dizzy

(Willing to take a week's ban for this)

Seriously, shut the f**k up. What is your obsession with personally abusing one of our players? He's nowhere near as bad as you make out. I will admit he has been "average" in his time at the Albion. He got Man of the Match on his debut for a reason, he was excellent.

The fact you suggest he never gets anywhere near the box shows you know nothing about football, he always plays on the last man when upfront, at MK Dons last season he was CONSTANTLY on the shoulder of the last man, on the edge of or IN the box, waiting for through balls that never came.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Couldn't care less about the result, but the loss of two midfielders is a nightmare. As others have said, I just wish Nav a speedy recovery - fear he could be out for the season though. Sparrow - what an idiot, just as the midfield has finally been sorted out after many years of it being our weakness. I know we have the brick wall PFA union to contend with, but in my view it is time to end this two week fine maximum, and fine players who get themselves sent off something like five weeks' wages as an example. Oh well, Bloom will have to get the cheque book out if he wants to get promotion. Personally I would rather have a promotion run at Falmer next season than a relegation struggle, but that is not supposedly Mr Bloom's view.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Without wading through the ridiculously long thread I would love to know the general consensus on baz and battipiedis first outing please?

Feel very sorry for nav but have huge confidence in dicker for Saturday.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
(Willing to take a week's ban for this)

Seriously, shut the f**k up. What is your obsession with personally abusing one of our players? He's nowhere near as bad as you make out. I will admit he has been "average" in his time at the Albion. He got Man of the Match on his debut for a reason, he was excellent.

The fact you suggest he never gets anywhere near the box shows you know nothing about football, he always plays on the last man when upfront, at MK Dons last season he was CONSTANTLY on the shoulder of the last man, on the edge of or IN the box, waiting for through balls that never came.
'ROYD RAGE.

Which game was his debut? I thought he made his debut as a sub against Norwich?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
'ROYD RAGE.

Which game was his debut? I thought he made his debut as a sub against Norwich?

His "full" debut was at home against Huddersfield. He linked play excellently, made a lot of intelligent runs, some good passes, and came close to scoring (!)

Perhaps I've been lucky, but every time I've seen him he's looked a useful player with a good technique and clever football brain.

When the Man of the Match was read out, there was general murmurs of assent in the crowd.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
His "full" debut was at home against Huddersfield. He linked play excellently, made a lot of intelligent runs, some good passes, and came close to scoring (!)

Perhaps I've been lucky, but every time I've seen him he's looked a useful player with a good technique and clever football brain.

When the Man of the Match was read out, there was general murmurs of assent in the crowd.
We lost 1-0 and were fairly poor if I remember right. :lol:
He wasn't terrible in that game, admittedly. He's not a noticably awful player, his touch is alright, his passing is alright. But his movement is horrible, he just seems to run in straight lines behind the defence and expect the midfield to be able to play to that. Maybe he can learn on that, obviously he's got a decent amount of pace and that would have been enough for him in the Conference I expect. But aside from that he is also horribly lightweight, and I don't think I've seen him shoot - having seen most of his appearances. Not a great sign for a striker.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
If we're allowed to go back to discussing the game now, obviously I wasn't there but to me it just seems to be another clear indication that although we appear to have an above average first team, once again our 'back up' is no where near good enough. It's an issue that needs addressing, shown quite blatantly by the absence of two key players in Poyet's eyes for the next few games. The less said about the striker situation the better, but the only thing I would say is that it's a very big risk to be relying on Murray to be a goal scorer for us, as I think it's fairly safe to say no one has the foggiest what's going on in his head, even Gus. But still, no major concerns! League is clearly the priority as displayed in the team selection tonight, which in my opinion is the correct way to go about things! In Gus we trust.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We lost 1-0 and were fairly poor if I remember right. :lol:
He wasn't terrible in that game, admittedly. He's not a noticably awful player, his touch is alright, his passing is alright. But his movement is horrible, he just seems to run in straight lines behind the defence and expect the midfield to be able to play to that. Maybe he can learn on that, obviously he's got a decent amount of pace and that would have been enough for him in the Conference I expect. But aside from that he is also horribly lightweight, and I don't think I've seen him shoot - having seen most of his appearances. Not a great sign for a striker.

Nope, it was 0-0 and we absolutely battered them for the last 35 mins or so. Good performance just lacking a goal. Perhaps you're thinking of Swindon, a home game near that time we lost 1-0?

I don't agree, I think he makes intelligent looking runs off the shoulder of the last man. One problem last year was our most attack minded midfielder - Andrew Crofts - literally NEVER played a defence splitting pass. Not ONCE. Ever.

I think with someone like Sparrow behind him, perhaps Holroyd would actually get put through on goal a few times.

I take your points that he is a bit lightweight and has been goal shy though.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I've just got in from Northampton and a bit pissed off that Gus played such a shit team. The only player who deserves some credit from tonight is Gary Dicker.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've just got in from Northampton and a bit pissed off that Gus played such a shit team. The only player who deserves some credit from tonight is Gary Dicker.

I would agree, the plus from tonight could be that it will make Poyet realise that although our first choice starting XI may be good enough our squad isnt. The back up is poor and hopefully we have seen both Poke and Whing in a Brighton shirt for the last time as both were abysmal. The 2 Argies are not ready although Battipeidi did better in the 2nd half. Hart and Holroyd showed that they are not the answer as goalscorers.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here