Noone to Cardiff - ** Confirmed **

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
He's got a great attitude and is a likable player, but has always struggled when it comes to end product, and thats not just this season either. If we can get something north of a million for him and put it towards a quality forward, then with the additional threat we're already carrying down the flanks from what are probably the best two fullbacks in the division, plus Buckers and KLL when fit, I really don't think we'd be particularly weakened without Noone in the squad.

£1.2m and I think we should bite their hand off.

Do you think Gus would go for Wing backs with 3 CB?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What the differences in terms of no of goals and assists between our 4 wingers?

Buckley 22 starts 13 subs, 8 goals 3 assists (last season - 0,0,0,0 this season)
Lualua 13, 18, 2, 3 (last season - 0,3,0,1 this season)
Noone 21, 16, 2, 5 (last season - 4,0,0,1 this season)
Vicente 11, 8, 3, 9 (last season - 1,1,0,0 this season)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Before people get excited Elliot Bennett is NOT out of favour at Norwich. Far from it. He is currently injured and on crutches although he expects to be back reasonably soon. He won't be coming back here for sure!

Orlandi will be the replacement from Swansea. Hopefully our doc will succeed where others have failed and get him fit then keep him fit. That is the one bit I am really rather uncomfortable with as he has such a bad fitness record but ability wise he should prove pretty effective if we can keep him on the pitch. He was out of contract this year and offered out on loan in January so my guess is that he won't be expensive.

We lose Noone but we do have Lua Lua. We do have Vicente. We do have Buckley. And as everyone points out we only ever play one out and out winger.

We will be slightly weaker for losing Noone. As Edna says he has had 2 fantastic games and looked back to his tricky best but still not much by way of actual end product (now watch him start scoring goals for Cardiff!). We will miss him more for his infectious good humour and ability to lift everyone around him but we won't suddenly be a worse side or offer significantly less threat. We now have two of the best and most adventurous attacking fullbacks in this league!

The fee at around £1.5m is a fair one and hopefully we will have the insurance of add-ons. Where he goes is less important than what we do with that fee and I am sure that is already committed. I'm guessing that as we bought him in a fire sale we might not have too much extra to pay Plymouth so all of the money plus any compo from Hall plus the savings from the planned offloading of Spaz and Vincelot plus anything that was left in the budget anyway..................... I reckon that we will be able afford to sign someone who will excite the fans (even if it is "only" Jay Bothroyd) with skill and complement our existing strike force.

And it will all be achieved within our budget - an affordable budget - we are Brighton and that is important because of our history.

I hate the thought of losing Nooney - absolutely love the guy. But buying and selling players is the nature of football and it's a move that makes sense even if it is not without some remorse.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
If there was winger Top Trumps, the categories would have to be:

Trickery
Pace
Crossing
Shot

I think Lua Lua would beat him in three out of four

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Buckley 22 starts 13 subs, 8 goals 3 assists (last season - 0,0,0,0 this season)
Lualua 13, 18, 2, 3 (last season - 0,3,0,1 this season)
Noone 21, 16, 2, 5 (last season - 4,0,0,1 this season)
Vicente 11, 8, 3, 9 (last season - 1,1,0,0 this season)

Thanks, as I thought, Noone only slightly better than Lua Lua in terms of assists but KLL has fewer games.

Vicente is a beast.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Should have said those appearances were for LEAGUE only.

Overall, then:
Noone: Starts: 21 Subs: 16 Unused Sub: 2 = 39 Match day squad appearances
Vicente: 11, 8, 2 = 21
Lualua: 13, 19, 6 = 38
Buckley: 22, 13, 0 = 35

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Who's to say the money from noone will be available for gus to buy a new player.

TB is a businessman after all.

TB makes money when we reach the Prem. And he's a shrewd dude. The money will be available and Gus will have someone lined up.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Before people get excited Elliot Bennett is NOT out of favour at Norwich. Far from it. He is currently injured and on crutches although he expects to be back reasonably soon. He won't be coming back here for sure!

Orlandi will be the replacement from Swansea. Hopefully our doc will succeed where others have failed and get him fit then keep him fit. That is the one bit I am really rather uncomfortable with as he has such a bad fitness record but ability wise he should prove pretty effective if we can keep him on the pitch. He was out of contract this year and offered out on loan in January so my guess is that he won't be expensive.

We lose Noone but we do have Lua Lua. We do have Vicente. We do have Buckley. And as everyone points out we only ever play one out and out winger.

We will be slightly weaker for losing Noone. As Edna says he has had 2 fantastic games and looked back to his tricky best but still not much by way of actual end product (now watch him start scoring goals for Cardiff!). We will miss him more for his infectious good humour and ability to lift everyone around him but we won't suddenly be a worse side or offer significantly less threat.

The fee at around £1.5m is a fair one and hopefully we will have the insurance of add-ons. Where he goes is less important than what we do with that fee and I am sure that is already committed. I'm guessing that as we bought him in a fire sale we might not have too much extra to pay Plymouth so all of the money plus any compo from Hall plus the savings from the planned offloading of Spaz and Vincelot plus anything that was left in the budget anyway..................... I reckon that we will be able afford to sign someone who will excite the fans (even if it is "only" Jay Bothroyd) with skill and complement our existing strike force.

And it will all be achieved within our budget - an affordable budget - we are Brighton and that is important because of our history.

I hate the thought of losing Nooney - absolutely love the guy. But buying and selling players is the nature of football and it's a move that makes sense even if it is not without some remorse.

This. Best response on the whole thread. You speak a lot of Severnside Gull.
We've got to look at the bigger picture sometimes, even though Nooney is loved by the club, players and the fans, we should cash in and make some money on players we brought for only £300,000. Nooney is far too inconsistent and struggles with his final end product.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Wolves have spent £11m

Yep.

Whatever people may think, we're still not in the same league (plus there are some clubs way over stretching.)

I don't see Noone fetching over a million once the final figures are out. My feel is still for just under this.

We are not one of the big boys yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports