Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Travel Subsidy Tomorrow

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Beach Hut will be delighted.

This means his kickback freebie, negotiated by the unions he so despises, will save him £7.30, rather than him forever whining about his £2.18 travel surplus - as if this was ever about just him...

Oh, very well said, TLO

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I will be buying a ticket as I was one of the mugs who bought travel vouchers in out first season. I believe the club have got it wrong tomorrow and I predict big hold ups and an argumentative atmosphere at Brighton station tomorrow. Not looking forward to it.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
I've worked out it'll cost an extra £6 taking the recent fare increases into account and travelling from shitty Milton Keynes Central. Still after 1 April its only the Goring to Shoreham fare I have to worry about. Good reason to move south.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Nothing as my journey is covered by the monthly ticket I use to travel to and from work.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Would there be any way to make Season Tickets compatible with the new Southern Key system (the Oyster card equivalent)?

The season ticket smartcards would only need to be made ITSO compliant to integrate with both Southern and B&H Buses "Key" smartcard system.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Absolutely this. Anyone east of Lewes will be better off tomorrow than had a travel levy been added to the ticket. There are two options next season to make the scheme farer:

1 - Scrap it altogether.

2 - Shuffle the free travel boundaries. For Example, they could start at Polegate, Newhaven, Wivelsfield and Southwick. The boundaries were drawn up to reflect the location of Withdean. With the stadium being located at Falmer, the scheme is unfair to those east of Lewes as the travel levy they pay is more than the difference of a return ticket between Lewes and Falmer.

It should cover the whole BN postcode

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It will cost me nothing extra to get to the game tomorrow.

I don't care about paying a couple of quid a match (or whatever it is) for a travel subsidy if i am not benefitting from it personally myself, i will happily continue to pay it if it means we are able to get more fans to the ground and to support the team if it is in place and knowing that it is there for me to use if i needed it.

I mean, what does a quid or 2 actually buy you these days anyway?

Would there be any way to make Season Tickets compatible with the new Southern Key system (the Oyster card equivalent)?

They're based on the national standard (that's why they work on Brighton Buses too) so I would think that it is possible at some future point. I don't know if there'd be an issue with providing two systems in one card though.
They're still working on this. Key Cards are issued by B&H Buses, Metrobus Buses and Southern Rail - but they are not interchangeable even among these three companies (even though they are all part of the Go Ahead Group). I believe the first steps towards interavailability will happen later this year.

Why so slow? God knows. I was a member of a regional working group back in the 1990s that was trying to ensure that a single smartcard might be developed to cover all bus, tube and rail services throughout the South East (including London) - but nothing much came of this, largely because of squabbles about detail, that focused on technical issues, rather than customer convenience. Eventually, London Buses and London Underground got fed up with the lack of progress and went their own way with Oyster. That now leaves everyone with the problem of integrating Oyster with The Key.

Getting other smartcard systems (like Albion season tickets, Nectar Cards and Costa Coffee Cards) all working the same way is a dream - but I'm not holding my breath. I guess someone might invent a universal system sooner or later. I've got a great idea for the brand name. It could be called "Cash".

Last edited:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I'm gonna try & wing with my Bri-Lon seaso, hopefully no check at Falmer :)

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
They're still working on this. Key Cards are issued by B&H Buses, Metrobus Buses and Southern Rail - but they are not interchangeable even among these three companies (even though they are all part of the Go Ahead Group). I believe the first steps towards interavailability will happen later this year.

Why so slow? God knows. I was a member of a regional working group back in the 1990s that was trying to ensure that a single smartcard might be developed to cover all bus, tube and rail services throughout the South East (including London) - but nothing much came of this, largely because of squabbles about detail, that focused on technical issues, rather than customer convenience. Eventually, London Buses and London Underground got fed up with the lack of progress and went their own way with Oyster. That now leaves everyone with the problem of integrating Oyster with The Key.

Getting other smartcard systems (like Albion season tickets, Nectar Cards and Costa Coffee Cards) all working the same way is a dream - but I'm not holding my breath. I guess someone might invent a universal system sooner or later. I've got a great idea for the brand name. It could be called "Cash".

Doesn't the Southern Railway Key start working on the London Underground next month?

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
It will cost me nothing extra to get to the game tomorrow.

I don't care about paying a couple of quid a match (or whatever it is) for a travel subsidy if i am not benefitting from it personally myself, i will happily continue to pay it if it means we are able to get more fans to the ground and to support the team if it is in place and knowing that it is there for me to use if i needed it.

I mean, what does a quid or 2 actually buy you these days anyway?

Yep, agree with this

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Southampton to Shoreham £9.90 rtn.
Southampton to Brighton £9.90 rtn.
Southampton to Falmer £9.90 rtn.

No extra and in real terms, like quite a few, I'm paying less.

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
When we went to Villa Real game we started queuing at Lewes for a train ticket, then the fat guy at the barriers said " just use your ticket as it says travel included on the back" everyone in the queue went without a ticket and, to my knowledge know one was pulled up on this. So even southern rail employees don't really care if you have a ticket or not. That said I still will be buying a ticket from Lewes.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Told on Twitter by the Transport Manager there is only 100 spaces in each car park today. The decision not to open Race Hill (even if the conditions aren't great) could backfire badly.

Since I'm working in Eastbourne until 1, it's drive to Lewes and train from there for me !!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Told on Twitter by the Transport Manager there is only 100 spaces in each car park today. The decision not to open Race Hill (even if the conditions aren't great) could backfire badly.

Since I'm working in Eastbourne until 1, it's drive to Lewes and train from there for me !!

Might be better driving to Seaford. Free parking and you'll get a seat on the train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here