Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No trains to London

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At the back of the queue at east croydon, been told two hours from here to the platform. Not bad considering I left watford at 4!

Maybe consider walking to Purley instead? Would take less than two hours and you might pick up a spare taxi on the way. Good luck anyway fella.

Well done Ernest, you played a blinder today. Take a bow son! :clap2:

Hope everybody gets home for a pint before closing time.

I've been giving Ernests info to a customer stuck in London today and he said thats the best info he's been given.

Fair play tou. Up The ARS

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Decided to get a cab (not a black one) from work in Bishopsgagte to Shoreham. 3 hours and £145 later I'm home. Expensive, but I had no real choice - I had lots of medication to take. Still, as I gave a colleague a lift to Redhill, it sounds like I might geet the whole thing on Expenses. I've never had to do that before in all my Shoreham to London commuting years.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Decided to get a cab (not a black one) from work in Bishopsgagte to Shoreham. 3 hours and £145 later I'm home. Expensive, but I had no real choice - I had lots of medication to take. Still, as I gave a colleague a lift to Redhill, it sounds like I might geet the whole thing on Expenses. I've never had to do that before in all my Shoreham to London commuting years.

Worth putting in a claim to Southern with the receipt and an explanation about why you need a cab i.e. medication

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
[QUOTEM=Hatterlovesbrighton;4268195]You needed to be on the platform not in the queue for buses. Trains flowing well through ec now

Sent from my U8220/Pulse using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
evidently so, however they were making people get into the original bus queue! Fair enough really if they've been waiting a few hours! Anyways the two hours turned into half an hour, am now nearing. haywards heath. Pint at the bar please squire!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Expense it then claim from Southern :lol:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Went from Victoria to littlehampton and then back to Brighton. If I'd waited another 30 mins at London vic I would probably have been home and hour earlier. Oh well!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm on the 1845 gatwick express running all the way to Brighton. Left on time, fingers crossed it doesn't take 6hrs from here!

I was on that one after a rather major detour and wasted day... 11:56 from Angmering to Victoria, stopped at Haywards Heath for about 15 mins before being advised to take the First Capital Connect on the other platform to Three Bridges. Replacement buses, absolutely packed, huge queues, hot day = f*** that! Sat in the pub across the road, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours... 5 hours and some good cricket later decided to try to get back to Angmering. After a sizeable wait got a totally unexpected all stations train from Bridges to Brighton. Saw on the board that the Victoria train was 'on time' at Brighton, was told it was actually going to Victoria, jumped on and finally walked into my flat at about 8.45... long old day for doing nothing!

Tulip

May 3, 2008
Brighton
Brilliant News - thanks again Ernest - NOW - for a friendly taxi driver that used to take me to games..............

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
Thanks for all the information Ernest, i was lucky enough to escape this today as was working from home but need to be in the office tomorrow so appreciate you keeping us posted.

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
Ernest. Wish Id had seen these updates whilst standing in the queue but thanks anyway! Would you know what will happen on the Uckfield line tomorrow? Been told that I may have the joys of a bus service from Oxted again?

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Thanks for all the info Ernest - you saved me a good couple of hours by the sounds of it. A shame those of us in the know apparently knew more than platform staff, though I couldn't help but think that sending everyone to East Croydon was just a ploy to keep Victoria clear. Some very pissed off people on my train when they discovered how (relatively) easy it had been for those of us that had stuck it out.

Can't be easy running a railway when half an embankment has fallen on top of it though...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Left West London at 1400. At Clapham Junction was only told there were buses running to Gatwick from East Croydon - no mention of the fact that the queue had hundreds if not thousands of people in it. If I'd been given some decent information (any information at all in fact), would have just gone into London instead and come back out via Havant or Hastings.

Instead, had to wait 20' for a train back to Victoria. No coaches available until 8.30pm so cabbed to Charing Cross for the Hastings train.. which then terminated at Tonbridge because of a fire further south. The guard had told me to change there anyway for Redhill but then we all waited 75 minutes plus for a train without a single announcement. Similar chaos at Redhill before getting a service to Three Bridges and finally an FCC to Brighton. Total journey time 6 hours. Helpful staff encountered = 3. Pig ignorant staff being rude to polite questions from surprisingly patient passengers = 5.

Nobody can blame train companies for disruption caused by natural events, but how they then handle the situation is important and this was an utter shambles. No excuse for being obnoxious to passengers who are perfectly entitled to ask politely whether a train might be coming within the next couple of hours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here