Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No Spurs for us as we came back from Anfield with COVID...

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So I was right, the answer is you would go out and spread covid if you had it.

He's just treating it like anything else. Do you hunker down every time you have a bit of a cold? I don't have any tester kits anymore. If I had it I wouldn't know, and I wouldn't buy one if I just developed a bit of a cold. If I felt like shit I guess I would. The government took away free testing so its a given that its just treated like colds, flu and everything else now

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
If I tested positive of course I wouldn't go out. But last time I had Covid it was like a very mild cold and the only reason I tested myself was because Mrs WS felt rubbish so tested herself and was positive. Nowadays I don't even have any testing kits so won't know if I have Covid or not. I treat it like any other illness - if I feel like crap I stay at home and rest if I just feel a bit under the weather, like last time I had Covid, I just carry on as normal.

You can buy tests in chemists etc. So that's no excuse.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
He's just treating it like anything else. Do you hunker down every time you have a bit of a cold? I don't have any tester kits anymore. If I had it I wouldn't know, and I wouldn't buy one if I just developed a bit of a cold. If I felt like shit I guess I would. The government took away free testing so its a given that its just treated like colds, flu and everything else now

Tell that to the highly vulnerable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the laissez faire attitude of some I know I made the right decision not to go yesterday due to my wife being vulnerable. These are the choices people in my position have to make now, covid is not going away and more than a few people are not going to consider that they may be putting others at risk potentially. People are bored with covid and will not be living their lives to suit others. Just the way it is, you make your own choices.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Tell that to the highly vulnerable.

I get that, but you could say the same about flu etc. I wouldn't actively walk around spreading it if I knew I had it, as I wouldn't if I had flu. But the fact is without free testing etc we are effectively living with covid now as a society.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I get that, but you could say the same about flu etc. I wouldn't actively walk around spreading it if I knew I had it, as I wouldn't if I had flu. But the fact is without free testing etc we are effectively living with covid now as a society.

If you had flu you’d struggle to get out of bed, let alone go anywhere :smile:

I think a bad cold is called flu by people these days.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Test kits are available. You just have to buy them now.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Test kits are available. You just have to buy them now.

Indeed - and I had to buy three a couple of weeks as Mrs WS was going in for major surgery and needed to test herself before admission and I had to test to be allowed to enter the hospital out of visiting hours. BUT I'm not going to keep testing myself every time I feel slightly unwell. I assume the cost of living crisis has passed you by ? Because a vast majority of people are not going to go and buy testing kits when they are having to finds huge amounts of money to pay for the rises in mortgages/rent, food and energy. NSC is a strange demographic - many preaching testing and masks - yet not a single mask in sight in WSU yesterday ! Maybe NSC isn't as quite in touch with the majority as it likes to think it is.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Indeed - and I had to buy three a couple of weeks as Mrs WS was going in for major surgery and needed to test herself before admission and I had to test to be allowed to enter the hospital out of visiting hours. BUT I'm not going to keep testing myself every time I feel slightly unwell. I assume the cost of living crisis has passed you by ? Because a vast majority of people are not going to go and buy testing kits when they are having to finds huge amounts of money to pay for the rises in mortgages/rent, food and energy. NSC is a strange demographic - many preaching testing and masks - yet not a single mask in sight in WSU yesterday ! Maybe NSC isn't as quite in touch with the majority as it likes to think it is.

No the cost of living crisis hasn't passed me by. I'm in the same boat as everyone else.
By the way hope your wife is now OK and makes a speedy recovery back to normal health.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But unfortunately although we can buy kits, most people will not pay for them. Covid is not a cold, and can be extremely nasty, but I've only had it once but have tested probably hundreds of times for work. Even if I had only tested with a symptom or two, I would have spent a fortune and I could not afford to carry on like that. I think almost everyone is not and will not test from this point on.

I agree, most will not buy kits but that is not the same as not having access which is what you said. That said, I agree with most of what you are saying and my view would be that the government made a political decision to take away free tests, ie the figures will look a lot better if people stop testing. As a country we stopped publicising data a long time ago, again a political decision.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How do you know if you don't test for it!!!

Because there's a lot of medical evidence from around about 100 years to back that up. And flu is also noticably different some years. Last year's flu was relatively mild, this year's by all accounts is somewhat worse unfortunately. I don't have personal knowledge as yes I don't test myself but that's not necessary with the data available.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's totally incorrect. Flu is very variable, like Covid.

In my experience a dose of flu 100% means I won’t be leaving the house. Lightweight obviously :smile:

I wouldn’t be interested in going to the Amex if you gave me £200

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because there's a lot of medical evidence from around about 100 years to back that up. And flu is also noticably different some years. Last year's flu was relatively mild, this year's by all accounts is somewhat worse unfortunately. I don't have personal knowledge as yes I don't test myself but that's not necessary with the data available.

The point I'm making is that no one tests for flu so no one knows whether they have it or a bad cold and even if you do have it there's no record that you do unless you go to the doctor's or you die from it. A lot of people will say they have flu when all it is is a bad cold or vice versa.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Myself and other half are on day 2. Our first infection, which fortunately is mild.

Hopefully it stays mild for you.

If I can offer one piece of advice - even if you feel OK, rest anyway. I had a couple of days around Day 4 / 5 where I thought I was OK so decided to do some housework and ended up completely wiped out and back in bed.

It's a proper sneaky little git of a virus.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In my experience a dose of flu 100% means I won’t be leaving the house. Lightweight obviously :smile:

Tend to agree. I've just turned 60 and am pretty sure I've only ever had flu once although I can't be sure as I was never tested. Being slightly asthmatic I've tended to suffer from the average cold once a year but never as bad as the flu.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Yes, but my point is that sometimes you may have had flu but thought you'd had a heavy cold.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The point I'm making is that no one tests for flu so no one knows whether they have it or a bad cold and even if you do have it there's no record that you do unless you go to the doctor's or you die from it. A lot of people will say they have flu when all it is is a bad cold or vice versa.

I totally agree! 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here