Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No sign of the promised striker

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
So we know that we are looking to add goals, and are looking for value. We also know that we identified a certain South American as a suitable target. I've found this scouting report on him, from a South American Chelsea fan, which gives us further insight into the type of player he is. This gives us a clue to the type of player the club want, even if it is not him.

"As for Calleri's style of play, he might be the epitome of a poacher. He prefers to stick to the central areas as it is where he's most likely to get a good chance to score. Outside the box, his off the ball movement is subpar, at best. At 5'10'', he's not exactly tall but he's still a threat in the air. His main strength would be his opportunism and his finishing ability. He's almost always making the right runs to connect crosses in the box, and with his right foot he's capable of finishing chances."

So we can deduce that we are after a proper old fashioned 'fox in the box' goal poacher who is good at getting on the end of crosses, not a number 10.

Crouch and Lambert both seem to fit the bill and I'd be happy with either.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes - good point. I just have a feeling he won't get recalled, but I agree it's a risk... Are we 100% certain he can be recalled at any time now? There have been so many conflicting opinions on here - originally, various posters were convinced there was only a small period in Jan he could be recalled, as after Jan it turns from a youth loan into a half season loan..? Maybe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] knows if this is the case or whether he can be recalled any time?

Agree mate. I just have this hunch Murray would be there for the taking and with the rumours from several on here that he'd like to come back, his insistence on living in Brighton etc, you'd think it's a very likely scenario, given he seems out of favour at BMuff... Maybe the club will put the deal in place now, if that's the case and possible...?

Sky report indicated it was a youth loan (meaning it was a single agreement at the time he joined us - not a conversion to another type of loan later), and also meaning he can be recalled at any time after 28 days have expired.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-make-united-return-after-good-brighton-start

FA Rule

53.3.10 Emergency Loans and Youth Loans may contain a break clause but only where that break clause is exercisable after the expiry of the initial 28 day period of the loan.

Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section6.aspx#oGsUQT7bU6Kyq5b7.99

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes - good point. I just have a feeling he won't get recalled, but I agree it's a risk... Are we 100% certain he can be recalled at any time now? There have been so many conflicting opinions on here - originally, various posters were convinced there was only a small period in Jan he could be recalled, as after Jan it turns from a youth loan into a half season loan..? Maybe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] knows if this is the case or whether he can be recalled any time?

Sorry - don't know much about this one, but others seem to have kept close tabs on it, suggesting a recall is a possible option for Man Utd.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Hunch - except I 'know' we are trying to get a fairly well known striker from a PL club.

Not that many that fit the bill that could be allowed to go out I would think:

Crouch, Odemwingie, Murray, Steven Fletcher, Emnes, Jelavic, Lambert - anymore for anymore?

Obviously there are prospects like Patrick Roberts but arguably not well known or what we would be looking for at present.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1. A striker has never been promised.

2. Despite that, I believe the club are trying hard to add more firepower but they'll only do so if:
i) The striker is better or 'different' to what we already have.
ii) The deal represents value for money. That doesn't mean being cheap, but means not being ripped off.

While I can completely understand the club not promising, the idea of us not moving heaven and earth to get a quality striker is utterly absurd.

It is painfully obvious that that is pretty much all we are missing now.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So we know that we are looking to add goals, and are looking for value. We also know that we identified a certain South American as a suitable target. I've found this scouting report on him, from a South American Chelsea fan, which gives us further insight into the type of player he is. This gives us a clue to the type of player the club want, even if it is not him.

"As for Calleri's style of play, he might be the epitome of a poacher. He prefers to stick to the central areas as it is where he's most likely to get a good chance to score. Outside the box, his off the ball movement is subpar, at best. At 5'10'', he's not exactly tall but he's still a threat in the air. His main strength would be his opportunism and his finishing ability. He's almost always making the right runs to connect crosses in the box, and with his right foot he's capable of finishing chances."

So we can deduce that we are after a proper old fashioned 'fox in the box' goal poacher who is good at getting on the end of crosses, not a number 10.

Crouch and Lambert both seem to fit the bill and I'd be happy with either.

I'd say that Lambert and Crouch aren't poachers, more 'lump it up to the big man' type players - not a traditional number 10 but i'd say too close to Hemed; he's the hold up, hustle and bustle player and we'd need an upgrade on Baldock (though I rate him).
Someone like Javier Hernandez. Obviously not him but someone with similar attributes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So bored of this endless Murray bollocks.
We. Are. Not. Signing. Him. Again.
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarr

You are aware he was a Gary Dicker tackle away from DEFINITELY resigning for us previously.
Still lives in Brighton.
Never wanted to leave in the first place.

It's pretty obvious why this (correctly) rumbles on and on, isn't it?

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I'd say that Lambert and Crouch aren't poachers, more 'lump it up to the big man' type players - not a traditional number 10 but i'd say too close to Hemed; he's the hold up, hustle and bustle player and we'd need an upgrade on Baldock (though I rate him).
Someone like Javier Hernandez. Obviously not him but someone with similar attributes.

I don't think Crouch is just a big lump up top, hold up player. Try to ignore his size. Because he is not great in the air, but he has great feet, a silky first touch and great intelligence, something Hemed seems to lack.

I would sooner get an upgrade on Hemed than Baldock, at least Baldock has the excuse of being injured lately.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As with fashion history often repeats itself.

So do pickled onions.

I don't think Crouch is just a big lump up top, hold up player. Try to ignore his size. Because he is not great in the air, but he has great feet, a silky first touch and great intelligence, something Hemed seems to lack.

Top scorer with headed goals in the history of the Premier League (currently).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Personally, I would prefer a perm signing to plug our oh so obvious striker gap. Bobby aside, are any of our strikers really good enough (Wilson being a loanee)?

So half our available strike force is good enough?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I would sooner get an upgrade on Hemed than Baldock, at least Baldock has the excuse of being injured lately.
Error Crouch is very good with his head.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Top scorer with headed goals in the history of the Premier League (currently).

Wow, I did not know this, and am genuinely surprised. He always seemed to miss with his head whenever I saw him play for Liverpool.

Error Crouch is very good with his head.

I stand corrected, you're right, he is very good with his head.

Sign him up!

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton

Why not hernandez, i think he could do a job :)

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton

This.
I saw crouch play when i went to se england play, and i remember thinking hes actully very good with the ball at his feet.
Looked better live than on the tv

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here