Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No sign of the promised striker

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I find it hard to believe there's a striker on planet who is actually value for money.
Esp one the club feels can push on at the top of the Championship.

Surely Charlie Austin already represents fantastic value!

What on earth were the rest of the PL doing not having a look at him for £4m. That would have been 1000deg+ on hotukdeals.com

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm actually happy with our squad even if we don't sign anymore players. We have signed two good players this window one i'm very excited about. With key players returning from injury we are easily a match for anyone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

What on earth were the rest of the PL doing not having a look at him for £4m. That would have been 1000deg+ on hotukdeals.com

I think it's the £100k a week price tag that might have had a fair few having second thoughts.

Esp if they already have players with 'Darren Anderton' clauses in their contracts.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I'm actually happy with our squad even if we don't sign anymore players. We have signed two good players this window one i'm very excited about. With key players returning from injury we are easily a match for anyone.

Yep, I am providing we know for sure that we will keep Wilson until the end of the season. I'm sure the club know where they stand on this.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think it's the £100k a week price tag that might have had a fair few having second thoughts.

Esp if they already have players with 'Darren Anderton' clauses in their contracts.

Charlie Austin was definitely not on £100k a week.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North

There was more to that deal then meets the eye as reported in The Football League Paper this weekend.
To paraphrase
Charlie Austin was out of contract in the summer so would have walked away for nothing but with a huge signing on fee.
He is (allegedly) a decent bloke and didnt want to leave QPR without them getting something for him.
So he was also paid 4m as a signing on fee thereby bringing the fee up to 8m which was probably realistic.
Just what I read this weekend. Dont think they publish these articles online.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think our strikers are good they've just suffered from a lack of decent service all season, 2 decent balls from Knocky on Saturday and 2 strikers score.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

This is pretty much how I feel. With Lua Lua back, the signings of Knockaert and Sidwell, Bong back soon and Rosenior back not long after we're looking in good shape. Sidwell allows us to keep playing two in the middle without losing any quality which in turn allows Knockaert and Lua Lua to see plenty of the ball which means plenty of service to the front men where hopefully at least one of Wilson and Zamora is on the pitch at all times.

That said, I'd be absolutely delighted if we signed another quality striker. We'd then be in an excellent position to make the top two as opposed to being in with a shout like we are now. So fingers crossed Peter Crouch is unveiled in the next week:rave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think our strikers are good they've just suffered from a lack of decent service all season, 2 decent balls from Knocky on Saturday and 2 strikers score.

This is pretty much how I feel. With Lua Lua back, the signings of Knockaert and Sidwell, Bong back soon and Rosenior back not long after we're looking in good shape. Sidwell allows us to keep playing two in the middle without losing any quality which in turn allows Knockaert and Lua Lua to see plenty of the ball which means plenty of service to the front men where hopefully at least one of Wilson and Zamora is on the pitch at all times.

That said, I'd be absolutely delighted if we signed another quality striker. We'd then be in an excellent position to make the top two as opposed to being in with a shout like we are now. So fingers crossed Peter Crouch is unveiled in the next week:rave:
A straw clutcher like myself could say Hemed's inability to score has coincided with Kaz' inability to play.

As much as more goals are needed, the team have been set up with 2 attacking wingers (Rosenior being a slightly more defensive away option).
I don't think they've played a single game, this season, where BOTH wingers have been on top form.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

I have to disagree, Murphy put in an excellent ball across the face of the 6 yard box and both Zamora and Hemed didnt gamble or even go for the ball. We need a striker that would have thrown everything into getting a touch on that.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I have to disagree, Murphy put in an excellent ball across the face of the 6 yard box and both Zamora and Hemed didnt gamble or even go for the ball. We need a striker that would have thrown everything into getting a touch on that.

Like a fox in the box, aka Adam Le Fondre.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Playing devil's advocate here, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to it that just Zamora and Hemed didn't gamble.

They aren't a strike partnership, they don't train together, and Murphy can be a bit 'hot and cold'.

I think we are all pinning to much on the orchid that is Kaz.
But (he says piling more hope on Kaz) with 3 good attacking options available, and some consistent crossing, the 'gamble' is less so and more a natural reaction.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If it's going to require luck to finish 6th, how on earth have we managed to make it into 4th position with over 60% of the season already played then?

In my opinion, and that is all it is, teams with weaker squads and limited options when they lose key players suffer more when the going gets tough, Feb - Apr. As I say it's just an opinion and I'd rather be facing the play-off push with the squads of Derby, Burnley, Boro etc. It's not a citicism of the team, any players or a lack of faith, just an opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't have thought Southampton would be paying any player over £60,000 a week let alone £100,000 a week.
It was widely reported at the signing, in a manner that didn't suggest rumour.

Along the lines of 'Saint's have spent £15m on Austin - a token £4m to QPR for his contract, and £11m to Austin over the duration'.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's really just your last paragraph I'm interested in Tim. The first sentence of which I agree with, the second one I don't.

It probably will only be an overseas of lower division prospect that TB will agree to shell out on, (if at all). But would I spend big bucks on a proven striker?, yes I would.

As you yourself say, it's all about ambition now. How much do we want to play in the Premier League? I know how much I want to. Very much indeed.

As I answered the other question, I don't feel it's where we are now I fear for the loss of a couple of keys players during the tough run in, Feb - Apr, heavier pitches, tiredness and luck all play there part, we only need to lose two or three of the current squad and it really is game over. We must strengthen, if we want to get to the Premier League

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here