Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No poppies on the shirt !

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Same old, same old, every year. A mix of people with differing views being told they must justify their position, being insulted and getting PMs from the same usual suspects.

FWIW I think that whether people wear poppies or not, go to remembrance services or not, or observe the minute's silence today should be a solely personal decision, justifiable to no-one.

I disagree strongly with poppies on cars, pizzas etc and believe that poppies on football shirts was the beginning of this slippery slope. If professional footballers want to wear poppies they should wear them on their civvies, in their own time. They shouldn't have to wear them (or have to decide not to wear them) because they are part of their kit. I believe that the act of remembrance is in the head and heart, not on the clothes.

And no, i'm not going to tell anyone whether i wear a poppy or not, that is entirely my decision.

two minutes silence

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
barkley-reuters_3100616b.jpg

Just to go slightly O/T for a moment, when did Jay-Z sign for Everton? ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bushy, grow up, for goodness sake.

Quite. And the bit about issuing threats only after personal insults is a bit rich given the deeply personal comments he made about Edna yesterday. People in glass houses etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Am I the only one who thinks the poppy on the football shirt is representing the football club respecting those who gave their lives in war and not the individual footballer ?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Am I the only one who thinks the poppy on the football shirt is representing the football club respecting those who gave their lives in war and not the individual footballer ?

exactly!

and those football clubs represent the towns & cities they play in,which all would of been affected by the great war & ww2

this weekend was so much more than football

personally I was far more interested in the Royal British Legion on saturday night than motd

and likewise with Rembrance Sunday than the football league show

just for one weekend is it so bloody hard to show your respects to all of those that gave up the ultimate price for our freedom

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Part of your reply to my post was a sentence deliberately full of glaring spelling mistakes and implying that I'd start to issue threats for the simple fact that you disagree with me, I won't deny I've issued threats in the past , but ONLY after posters have been personally insulting , you tried to play to the usual NSC crowd and came unstuck because you have the spelling and grammar of a nine year old, its really quite simple, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

I think you will find that I replied to you without throwing insults at you, you however criticised by spelling and called me two derogatory names implying I masterbate regularly and was a penis. Im not "dishing it out" as you can see I have only expressed my own opinion and have not, as yet, debated my opinion with you because of yhe aforementioned degree of name calling and no substance from yourself As to what Iis being talked about just your bigotted "youre a tosser for not loving thr boys" veiw. As for "the regular nsc crowd, come unstuck" I really do not understand what you are implying.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I think you will find that I replied to you without throwing insults at you, you however criticised by spelling and called me two derogatory names implying I masterbate regularly and was a penis. Im not "dishing it out" as you can see I have only expressed my own opinion and have not, as yet, debated my opinion with you because of yhe aforementioned degree of name calling and no substance from yourself As to what Iis being talked about just your bigotted "youre a tosser for not loving thr boys" veiw. As for "the regular nsc crowd, come unstuck" I really do not understand what you are implying.

Surry_Albion, put people like bushy on your ignore list. Starve them of the attention they crave. They are clearly not worth wasting your time and effort on.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I found myself wondering what people's views would have been if Paddy McCourt- also being from Derry- had expressed the same view.

(I had a little look at the match worn shirts online and his, poppy and all, is definitely on there).

I see what you're saying, but I don't think McLean has either disgraced Wigan or himself. Perhaps if he'd written that letter a couple of years ago, when this all first kicked off, he'd have had less flak in the meantime. I felt it was quite eloquently written.

On the subject of poppies, I've just seen a Pompey player kissing the poppy on his shirt when he scored a penalty at Fratton Park a couple of minutes ago. Perhaps he has his personal reasons. But that looked a bit odd to me too.
The fact that the Pompey player Wallace goaded Shots fans after he scored puzzled me as he watched The Shots as a lad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here