Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No poppies on the shirt !

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
By the way, it looks from the photos in the paper today that Sunderland didn't have poppies on their shirts. Just saying, like.

barkley-reuters_3100616b.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Exactly. Our church was packed out with kids, parents and older folk. About half were wearing poppies but they were still there supporting the act of remembrance. It's the remembrance that is important not the material symbols, in my opinion. :)

Do you think the material symbols encourage others to remember though? A little pin prick of the conscience if it were needed. I'll happily wear a poppy, and if by doing so the sight of it makes others stop and think for a second, then that's a good thing. This doesn't make me a better person as it's not about me. After all, the poppy is about those others wrongly affected by conflict that are no longer with us, I'm just wearing it on behalf of them.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Like a white feather

...or the Star of David or Pink Triangles the Nazis made Jews and homosexuals wear before exterminating them.

This is the regime our brave men and women fought and destroyed so we could retain our freedom of speech and democracy.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Do you think the material symbols encourage others to remember though? A little pin prick of the conscience if it were needed. I'll happily wear a poppy, and if by doing so the sight of it makes others stop and think for a second, then that's a good thing. This doesn't make me a better person as it's not about me. After all, the poppy is about those others wrongly affected by conflict that are no longer with us, I'm just wearing it on behalf of them.

Yes, I agree. It's your choice whether to wear it or not. I'm happy for other people to wear a poppy. I'm happy not to.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As an aside just one year, it would be nice for those of us who do choose to wear poppies not to be patronised by some of those who choose not to. Just one year without being told, like we were all completely unaware of the blindingly obvious: that innocents die, that atrocities and bravery occur on all sides, that some wars our armed forces have fought and continue to fight are for less than totally altruistic reasons (this one in particular, some people love shouting about as if it's a startling revelation) and also without the implication that we're either witting or unwitting pawns in a media campaign to romanticise war. Or that wearing a poppy is tantamount to supporting Imperialism.

As I see it, the main thrust of the Poppy campaign is always from the British Legion and by and large ex-service folk are the most assiduous fundraisers and they're the ones who know what war is really like and what effect it continues to have on all concerned. And if it's good enough for them to wear poppies then it's good enough for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There is obviously a reasoning behind not wanting to, don't be obtuse.

I genuinnely wasn't. My point is that getting yourslef a poppy and wearing it is a positive action - you need to actively WANT to do so. Someone not wearing it, doesn't have to have an active reason to not wear it - just NOT have the reason / motivation TO wear it. Does that make sense?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I genuinnely wasn't. My point is that getting yourslef a poppy and wearing it is a positive action - you need to actively WANT to do so. Someone not wearing it, doesn't have to have an active reason to not wear it - just NOT have the reason / motivation TO wear it. Does that make sense?
To a certain extent yes , but he seems happy to remember but is reluctant to wear the symbol , I'm curious as to the reason.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Btw you gave me a thumbsup by mistake if you want to correct it.

I gave you a thumbsup for contradicting someone who suggested that all our servicemen revelled in being 'trained killers' in it for the glory. Thumbsups / downs are for denoting what you think of a POST, not a poster :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To a certain extent yes , but he seems happy to remember but is reluctant to wear the symbol , I'm curious as to the reason.

Perhaps his remembrance is just something he sees as personal, and not something he wants to display or share?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here