Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nicolas Tagliafico

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I’m desperate for Cucu to stay BUT this guy wouldn’t be such a bad replacement.

796b6bb308648db1197cc63abaf55adf.jpg

I might not be quite as excited as Nicolas appears to be, but then I'm much older.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
My only watch out here is that although he's undoubted quality, at 29 he's not really the kind of player we look at age-wise when taking into account the (likely high) transfer fee.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
My only watch out here is that although he's undoubted quality, at 29 he's not really the kind of player we look at age-wise when taking into account the (likely high) transfer fee.

High experience to fill gaps on youth? Welbeck, Lallana & Veltman all fall into this category and I doubt the club are too disappointed with those three on the whole. I don’t think this transfer is likely, but if it’s true that Forest have a chance then I’d suggest we have a better one. Veltman’s Ajax links and our top half finish would help tremendously.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
I could have posted this photo:
3efa340acbef57c23dd7b14e54688c4c.jpg

But I didn’t want this thread sink to bottom of the taste barrel. Rather than focus on the quality of the player, I suspect most would comment on the quality of something else.

We’re better than that!

Crackin' photograph

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He appears to have been very much a squad player last season.

He made 30 appearances but the majority of them were from the bench. 270 games in his career at left back, 34 at centre back. Is he a realistic option as the left sided centre back of a three? If he is then he seems very much like a player we would be interested in at 4m.

Him at 4m and Van Hecke brought into the fold would sort out our defensive depth.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
He appears to have been very much a squad player last season.

He made 30 appearances but the majority of them were from the bench. 270 games in his career at left back, 34 at centre back. Is he a realistic option as the left sided centre back of a three? If he is then he seems very much like a player we would be interested in at 4m.

Him at 4m and Van Hecke brought into the fold would sort out our defensive depth.

Yes he would make a good addition to the squad regardless of other ins and outs.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
You’re right he can play CB but does so far less often than Veltman did (who was generally considered a RB but legitimately also a CB even before Potter got his hands on him). You could at a push put Veltman as a CB in a back four but probably wouldn’t want to do so with Tagliafico or Cucurella. And we like to have the flexibility to shift system mid-match so could fit both in provided have two centre backs plus a right sided deep role player in the line-up (80% of our squad have probably played RWB for Potter though at some point).

Would have laughed this type of signing off a couple years ago but seems quite a Brighton type of deal now especially if he’s seen how Veltman’s career has gone and fancies similar. They might even be friends.

Far from expecting Cucurella to be off to Citeh, I’d actually like to think this signing would mean we have another ready LWB/LB option (not just an incredibly talented prospect aged 18) to allow Cucurella to play further forward at times where we have a back four. That way he can contribute to both ends of the pitch and would suit the role better than March or Trossard.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Turns 30 later this summer so I really don't think he is a top priority for the big clubs.

Certainly won’t be going to Manure.

They’ve just agreed a fee for ‘the best left back in the Eredivisie’ Tyrell Malacia.

He‘ll compete with Shaw, Telles and Brandon Williams for a squad left back place at the big Manchester club. No way would they add Tag with all the other gaps they need to fill right now.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
You’re right he can play CB but does so far less often than Veltman did (who was generally considered a RB but legitimately also a CB even before Potter got his hands on him). You could at a push put Veltman as a CB in a back four but probably wouldn’t want to do so with Tagliafico or Cucurella. And we like to have the flexibility to shift system mid-match so could fit both in provided have two centre backs plus a right sided deep role player in the line-up (80% of our squad have probably played RWB for Potter though at some point).

Would have laughed this type of signing off a couple years ago but seems quite a Brighton type of deal now especially if he’s seen how Veltman’s career has gone and fancies similar. They might even be friends.

Far from expecting Cucurella to be off to Citeh, I’d actually like to think this signing would mean we have another ready LWB/LB option (not just an incredibly talented prospect aged 18) to allow Cucurella to play further forward at times where we have a back four. That way he can contribute to both ends of the pitch and would suit the role better than March or Trossard.
Also Mac Alistair, both play for Argentina.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
interest confirmed by romano

[tweet]1543237018989346817[/tweet]

I really hope this is true. Although he is a very different type of player to Cucarella, he is an excellent LB.

This piece of analysis,

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/a...rld-class-left-back-tactical-analysis-tactics

from 2019/20 examines the strengths of 8 of the leading left backs in world football, and guess what? Tagliafico ranks highest. (With the major caveat that his ranking is achieved with stats from the eredivisie. But still, he is Argentina's number 3.)

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
This would be a perfect signing imho. Great engine, really experienced.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I really hope this is true. Although he is a very different type of player to Cucarella, he is an excellent LB.

This piece of analysis,

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/a...rld-class-left-back-tactical-analysis-tactics

from 2019/20 examines the strengths of 8 of the leading left backs in world football, and guess what? Tagliafico ranks highest. (With the major caveat that his ranking is achieved with stats from the eredivisie. But still, he is Argentina's number 3.)

Veltman, Sherpen and Mac, the official pre welcome committee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here