Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] NFL Fans on NSC

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I know there are quite a few NFL fans on this board and I have just found something my brother gave me 37 years ago which may be of interest to them. He lived and worked in Chicago at the time when The Bears won Superbowl XX back in 1985, and as I was showing a bit of interest in the NFL he gave me several commemorative items celebrating their win. What I have found is the Super Season Commemorative Print Collection, commissioned by Sears and WGN Radio, painted by the renowned NFL artist Merv Corning. They are 4 large colour prints (22"x17") depicting scenes from the Bears successful season and the Superbowl final, they're in a large commemorative envelope with a leaflet explaining each of the prints.
I have no idea if they have any value and I don't want anything for them, but a contribution to the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund would be appreciated.
PM me if interested.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Good man.

It’ll be interesting to see if anyone admits to being a Bears fan*.

*I appreciate the irony of this post coming from a Jags fan.

He used to give me weekly updates on what their coach Mike Ditka had got up to that week, a very large character (like many of That Bears team). TV and Radio crews used to follow him around waiting for something to happen, he never used to disappoint them. My favourites were William (the fridge) Perry and Quarterback Jim McMahon , don't know if I've spelt his name right. They reminded me a bit of the Wimbledon Crazy Gang and were always good fun to watch.

:thumbsup:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Sadly .. The Browns.

But nothing sad about their game day 'experience'...

Best atmosphere I've been to at an NFL match, the pre-match drinking and fan banter brilliant...

Unlike Indianapolis, the city centre after the match on a Sunday was basically closed, utter shitehole...

Talking of shiteholes, I'm a Detroit Lions fan so no interest in the Bears

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
9122D095-CA61-4ACC-91FE-B8AE2702824D.jpeg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’ve only had the chance to go to one NFL game.

Back in 2009, I was about to honeymoon in NYC over the new year. Mrs H loves sporting occasions, so late in the year I booked tickets to watch the team I’d chosen to follow in the 80s, the Jets.

Little did I know that the Jets would have a brilliant season (very rare) and that the game I’d chosen would be the last ever game at Giant Stadium.

It was freezing. I mean freeeeeeeezing. Our water bottles froze under our seats. We should have known when we saw people on the overground with duvets. It was minus 20 or something.

The Jets won and went on as a wild card. Lost to the Bengals I seem to remember and we watched the game in a NY bar the following weekend.

While there, we were doorstepped in town by the New York Post. When they discovered we had honeymooned at the last game they penned an article about it and we had our photo taken.

However, that same week the owner of the Jets and the Post, Willy Johnson, tragically lost his daughter when she committed suicide. Unsurprisingly, fun stories were off the agenda.

I’m still waiting to go back.

And perhaps the Jets are waiting for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly .. The Browns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blimey, I thought me and Fignon's Ponytail were the only sufferers on here!

And for that reason Mr Barrow Boy, sorry, no, I don't want anything that celebrates the Bears winning. Still, at least it's not the Steelers, or worse, the Ravens. That was OUR Superbowl! D'you hear me? Ours!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Highly controversial for many on here I appreciate, but imho it’s the greatest sport there is, only ruined by its stop/start prisoner to commercial TV advertising aspect, which renders it barely watchable live, on TV or in the flesh. Game highlights, for me, are the preferred way to consume it.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Jesus! I really don't give a flying toss which team any of you support in the NFL, I didn't realise that The Chicago Bears were the most hated team in the NFL and NSC! I was just trying to maybe give someone the chance to own some NFL memorabilia from 37 years ago, sorry about that. All I was asking for was a small contribution to REMF, I will probably end up binning the prints if nobody want's them.
Only on NSC!

:shrug:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
There's a (really decent) Leeds Utd fan, who posts very, very occasionally on here as 'Starry' who I know is a big Bears fan - so he may be interested in the OP

Me - I'm a Packers fan, and looking forward to their first trip to London in October.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Jesus! I really don't give a flying toss which team any of you support in the NFL, I didn't realise that The Chicago Bears were the most hated team in the NFL and NSC! I was just trying to maybe give someone the chance to own some NFL memorabilia from 37 years ago, sorry about that. All I was asking for was a small contribution to REMF, I will probably end up binning the prints if nobody want's them.
Only on NSC!

Wow! :lolol: (I must admit, I don’t give a crap who anyone supports either, the whole relocating of franchises makes a joke of it imho, but it’s still the greatest sport)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Only on NSC!

Ha! Don't take it personally, it's just that it's a bit like someone offering you pictures of Man U winning the Champions' League or something. Be great for a Man U fan, not so great if you like football but happen to support someone else.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only on NSC!

I've just seen this. I will admit to being a Bears fan and to that winning team being the reason.

Back in the 80s NFL was shown on Channel 4 on Saturday mornings and I started to get really into it. It helped that one of my best mates at school was huge and very good at the sport. He ended up playing for Brighton B52s and High School football in the States and now coaches the game in Denmark (yes, really). The Bears were the best side that season but they also had brilliantly memorable players. The mulleted rebel QB Jim McMahon, the wonderful, wonderful Walter Payton and, of course, a bloke called The Fridge.

Looking back it was the equivalent of an American kid watching soccer because his mate played and picking Liverpool as his team.

Except the Bears aren't Liverpool. Since then we've been reliably crap and I have to regularly put up with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] 's "bantz" as the Pack beat us again. I've just renewed my Game Pass. God knows why. Stick all your money on the 49ers in week 1.

I think your offer is really thoughtful and good choice of charity (I say that having run two Brighton Marathons for REMF) but, unfortunately, I don't want the prints. We are tidying / renovating / improving the house and getting rid of lots of clutter and stuff the kids have grown out of. I have already had several version of the "do you really want all those books?" (yes) conversation. I'm afraid they'd sit in a draw for three years while we get our act together and then Mrs GB would recycle them.

You could maybe e-bay them and donate the proceeds to REMF yourself?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I've just seen this. I will admit to being a Bears fan and to that winning team being the reason.

Back in the 80s NFL was shown on Channel 4 on Saturday mornings and I started to get really into it. It helped that one of my best mates at school was huge and very good at the sport. He ended up playing for Brighton B52s and High School football in the States and now coaches the game in Denmark (yes, really). The Bears were the best side that season but they also had brilliantly memorable players. The mulleted rebel QB Jim McMahon, the wonderful, wonderful Walter Payton and, of course, a bloke called The Fridge.

Looking back it was the equivalent of an American kid watching soccer because his mate played and picking Liverpool as his team.

Except the Bears aren't Liverpool. Since then we've been reliably crap and I have to regularly put up with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] 's "bantz" as the Pack beat us again. I've just renewed my Game Pass. God knows why. Stick all your money on the 49ers in week 1.

I think your offer is really thoughtful and good choice of charity (I say that having run two Brighton Marathons for REMF) but, unfortunately, I don't want the prints. We are tidying / renovating / improving the house and getting rid of lots of clutter and stuff the kids have grown out of. I have already had several version of the "do you really want all those books?" (yes) conversation. I'm afraid they'd sit in a draw for three years while we get our act together and then Mrs GB would recycle them.

You could maybe e-bay them and donate the proceeds to REMF yourself?

Is there a way that the OP can contact 'Starry' the Leeds / Bears fan who posts on here - albeit not very often...?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is there a way that the OP can contact 'Starry' the Leeds / Bears fan who posts on here - albeit not very often...?

Unfortunately we can't give out contact details but I can mention [MENTION=3003]Starry[/MENTION] and the OP could PM her.

I can say that as far as I can see she last logged on in March this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here