Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next season

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's not negativity, it's more the thing of, been here, done it and f***ed it up!

SCFC_Lurker

Feb 20, 2011
Stoke-on-Trent
Its all history though. I realise that I am bias being from the Potteries and seeing nothing short of a transformation in our football team from mid table Champioship to mid table Premier League and semi-finals of some tin cup, but the point is that we were a team that luck was against and a team that was destined for no-where - But we did it! just like Wigan and Fulham! And I reckon that BHA can do the same.

I have only looked out for your results since the FA cup meeting at the Brit so I am no man to criticise really, but BHA can and will do it! and I look forawrd to our premier league meeting in 2 seasons time!

:D

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
New stadium and promotion will give us massive momentum going in to next season, if Bloom wants to go to the next level there will be no better time to do it. Exciting times.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Of course it depends on how much of the revenue TB will allow Gus to spend on players. Also if we can keep Gus. With the current squad I think we could survive (there will be more clubs in financial trouble next year, so one or two of the bottom places will be accounted for, in effect making the drop zone smaller) next season. With smart buys, we could reach the play-offs.

Dreamland: Play-offs
Hope: Comfortable mid-table with prospects
Expect: Mid-table

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's not negativity, it's more the thing of, been here, done it and f***ed it up!

No. We haven't. We really, really haven't. When have we EVER been in this position, let alone f***ed it up? We've been shit in the past. Many times. We've been mediocre in the past. Many times. We've lost games that we should have won. Many times. Those times have no bearing whatsoever on now. None. At. All. The future is brighter now than at any time in the 23 years I've been following the Albion and I'd hazard at any time in our history. It's not even pessimism when people say that they've seen it before and we've f***ed it up. It's simply not true. And, frankly, it's little more than cowardice.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
In answer to the o.p's question, I think we'll be comfortably mid table. Relegation really shouldn't be a worry. I we can sign the players that Gus wants and hit the ground running then I think we could emulate Leeds and be challenging for the play-offs. This is all assuming we keep hold of Poyet. If e don't, I have no idea at all how we'll do.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I am hoping we can hold our own next season and avoid any kind of relegation scrap then push on towards the playoffs the season after

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You can be assured gus certainly will gun for the prem ASAP and i would think our budget will be as good as anyones in the championship next season.:)

Cheers from the stokey as they,ve done brilliant and have fantastic fans:thumbsup:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I am hoping we can hold our own next season and avoid any kind of relegation scrap then push on towards the playoffs the season after

The second season can be difficult. I think we've got more chance of doing well next season than the following one due to momentum, the stadium and Gus.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
We have achieved back-to-back championships before, from arguably a far weaker position, is it beyond the realms of possibility that it might be achieved again. This may sound like the ramblings of a madman but once you have built up an impetus and winning seems like second nature then anything is possible, it really is. Look at Norwich this season, they are doing very well with only a little tweaking of the squad from last season. As the Stokie said...believe!

No. We haven't. We really, really haven't. When have we EVER been in this position, let alone f***ed it up? We've been shit in the past. Many times. We've been mediocre in the past. Many times. We've lost games that we should have won. Many times. Those times have no bearing whatsoever on now. None. At. All. The future is brighter now than at any time in the 23 years I've been following the Albion and I'd hazard at any time in our history. It's not even pessimism when people say that they've seen it before and we've f***ed it up. It's simply not true. And, frankly, it's little more than cowardice.
That deserves a ...

... THIS.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

To be fair I accept what you say and my post was badly worded. However why the hell do you have to spoil it by gobbing on about cowardice? Wtf's that all about? Interested to read your explanation on this little pearler.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If I'm honest I fully EXPECT us to be in contention for a play-off place next season.

We will have a big and much-improved squad, not one filled with "names" but one comprising players who can do what the manager asks of them.
We will have a manager who is astute tactically (the qualifier is simply that sometimes we seem to lack a counter to teams who play us high up the field - as we progress, sides will not tire and we may not get away with being as proflgate with goalscoring chances as this season).
We will have momentum on our side.
We will have better playing facilities.

My only concerns are that hitting the ground running is important and there are two key factors that may impact on that................

One is the new ground and how long it will take us to acclimatise. Initially it will be like playing away for us too and I am not convinced that the vocal support will be as good as some expect.

The second is whether Gus has learned from last year and how early he can pull together his new squad. Players like LuaLua and Wood being unavailable then joining a month in to the season won't help us in the critical first five or six games so players of first choice pedigree need to be here in July and then kept happy once they drop to the bench.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
To be fair I accept what you say and my post was badly worded. However why the hell do you have to spoil it by gobbing on about cowardice? Wtf's that all about? Interested to read your explanation on this little pearler.

What I mean is that (in my opinion) people are scared of the possibility of failure, that somehow it will all go wrong. They don't want to face the, I don't know what, embarrassment? pain? of it going wrong. It's like that old saying: a pessimist can never be dissapointed. But to me, a pessimist is someone who isn't brave enough to dream because they're scared of failure. And when people-in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary-continue to hide behind pessimism or tired, paper thin excuses then it's only a slightly hyperbolic step to a certain kind of cowardice.

And it's insulting to the players and managers. They have done nothing to deserve such beliefs, they deserve the opposite- loud and sustained acclamation of their outstanding achievements.

I should point out that my little rant wasn't aimed solely at you, but at the number of posts and threads where people say they're worried we're not going to make it, or that they've been watching the albion too long to accept we'll achieve promotion etc.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
people saying they EXPECT play offs i do love the optimism but the aim first season will surely be to consolidate! yes leeds and Norwich have done well but i still believe the jump in class is more substantial than some believe it to be

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What I mean is that (in my opinion) people are scared of the possibility of failure, that somehow it will all go wrong. They don't want to face the, I don't know what, embarrassment? pain? of it going wrong. It's like that old saying: a pessimist can never be dissapointed. But to me, a pessimist is someone who isn't brave enough to dream because they're scared of failure. And when people-in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary-continue to hide behind pessimism or tired, paper thin excuses then it's only a slightly hyperbolic step to a certain kind of cowardice.

And it's insulting to the players and managers. They have done nothing to deserve such beliefs, they deserve the opposite- loud and sustained acclamation of their outstanding achievements.

I should point out that my little rant wasn't aimed solely at you, but at the number of posts and threads where people say they're worried we're not going to make it, or that they've been watching the albion too long to accept we'll achieve promotion etc.

This was actually the first time I have said that I was worried so to speak, I have been optimistic for months, it was almost tongue in cheek and not aimed at this season. But it is insulting being called a coward for merely saying been there, done it. I don't really find that comment worthy, but I will accept your explanation.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
people saying they EXPECT play offs i do love the optimism but the aim first season will surely be to consolidate! yes leeds and Norwich have done well but i still believe the jump in class is more substantial than some believe it to be

I bet Tony and Gus, regardless of what they may say in public (TB might well have learned from last year) will EXPECT continued success from the team and why not? We all expect that TB is going to throw a reasonable amount of money at it and we already know that GP is a good judge of players on whom to spend it. Setting the bar low may mean achieving the target is less challenging but will it actively encourage achieving more? Setting a more difficult challenge from the outset is always more likely to result in optimum achievement. If they fall short, then okay - we will be midtable. Fall short of a target to "consolidate" and we will be relegated and back where we started.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why am I the only person refusing to even contemplate next season until we've done what we need to do this time around?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here