Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next Saturday at the Valley

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
what an utter load of rubbish......your club is suffering from 'foreign owner disease' , as someone has already said, if you lot don't want to go, hand your tickets over to real football supporters !

Incredible. What are 'real football supporters' in your book?

You don't remember where we came from, and who helped us get here from there, yet claim to be 67.

Where were you in the 90s? Did you disapprove of those protesting? Were those who boycotted Mansfield, and who broke the goalposts against York not 'real football supporters'?

I am so pleased that you seem to be entirely isolated on this thread, as your attitude stinks. I am really looking forward to the match on Saturday, and will, of course, support Charlton fans in any way that I can.

As they have always done.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Having read Webbo's posts, I'm hoping that Charlton supporters get their point across just as much as the Albion get the 3 points.

The heart of football is all about supporters up and down the country connecting and identifying with their team.

Where that's threatened by foreign owners and people like Katrien Meire who can't understand that the primary stakeholders of clubs are its fans and not shareholders, direct action must be taken to preserve something that's sacred and precious to thousands in the immediate community.

Any parochial rivalries or promotion-chasing seasons really don't come into play here.

We've been there ourselves all too recently to forget or conveniently ignore this.

The survival of a club is worth far more than a season in the Premiership sun.

Good luck Charlton. Do what you need to do.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To be fair, this is not about US! It's about Charlton. We just happen to be the high profile,for this division, team and will mean they get maximum publicity. Good luck to them due to the fantastic support Charlton have always given us.

Some short term memories in evidence. If it wasn't for the likes of Charlton and teams like them we wouldn't have a club!

Now that is bollox. Brighton fans saved Brighton.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We know how important this game is, but we simply MUST remember our history here.
Support the Charlton fans' protest 100% because it is the right thing to do. Win the match.
And that support will hopefully ensure full backing from them for a fired-up Charlton to do their best to take 3 points off Burnley...

Don't agree with a lot of your posts but on this I 100% concur.

To not support Charlton fans in this would be to ignore our history.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I didn't realise things were getting this bad at Charlton:

Charlton have identified two experienced men as potential appointments to head up their recruitment.

The Addicks have made filling the role a priority position this summer - especially after a number of expensive mistakes in the transfer market.

And the South London Press understands that David Burke, formerly head of football operations at Brighton, and Keith Burt, who had a number of years as director of football at Bristol City, are both admired by the South London club.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/a...lton Athletic&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Good luck.

I'll never forget the York fans applauding us even though they'd come all that way for 15 minutes of football, in what was an important game for them.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
charl.JPG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Now that is bollox. Brighton fans saved Brighton.

So you don't think the support of fans around the country helped in provoking debate at the FA or media coverage? It was all us was it?

Blimey

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
So you don't think the support of fans around the country helped in provoking debate at the FA or media coverage? It was all us was it?

Blimey

Crikey, and it must have only been one bunch of flowers sent to Prescott on Valentines Day, one message of support for the stadium...

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Incredible. What are 'real football supporters' in your book?

You don't remember where we came from, and who helped us get here from there, yet claim to be 67.

Where were you in the 90s? Did you disapprove of those protesting? Were those who boycotted Mansfield, and who broke the goalposts against York not 'real football supporters'?

I am so pleased that you seem to be entirely isolated on this thread, as your attitude stinks. I am really looking forward to the match on Saturday, and will, of course, support Charlton fans in any way that I can.

As they have always done.

stamps foot !!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I didn't realise things were getting this bad at Charlton:

Charlton have identified two experienced men as potential appointments to head up their recruitment.

The Addicks have made filling the role a priority position this summer - especially after a number of expensive mistakes in the transfer market.

And the South London Press understands that David Burke, formerly head of football operations at Brighton, and Keith Burt, who had a number of years as director of football at Bristol City, are both admired by the South London club.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/a...Charlton Athletic§ionIs=sport&searchyear=2016

That way lies oblivion.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hmm.....I'm not convinced. Yes of course I know that we have done it. But then we had ******** Archer and ******* Belotti steal every penny from the club and selling the ground. We ended up with no ground and came perilously close to having no club. Can't really see that Charlton are in comparable dire straights.

I'm surprised Charlton fans can even generate the passion. When we came up last year they were banging a nice big drum but nobody bothered to sing!

You are just going through a bad time OP. It happens. But all the time you have a ground and a club you can go to watch every week, you aren't doing so bad fella! Having said that I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you and support the protest...unless or until you do something stupid to get the game abandoned.

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
Hmm.....I'm not convinced. Yes of course I know that we have done it. But then we had ******** Archer and ******* Belotti steal every penny from the club and selling the ground. We ended up with no ground and came perilously close to having no club. Can't really see that Charlton are in comparable dire straights.

I'm surprised Charlton fans can even generate the passion. When we came up last year they were banging a nice big drum but nobody bothered to sing!

You are just going through a bad time OP. It happens. But all the time you have a ground and a club you can go to watch every week, you aren't doing so bad fella! Having said that I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you and support the protest...unless or until you do something stupid to get the game abandoned.

The start of it all for us was having no ground and coming perilously close to having no club. In the days of fanzines, and no internet as such, we had to fight the campaign to return home to the Valley. It perhaps wasn't so perilous as it was for Brighton at that time, but it was pretty close.

So fast forward to the sunny uplands when Brighton and Charlton had gone through similar journeys and had seemingly emerged out of the other side.

This is where Brighton fans ought to thank whatever they believe in, that you are owned by a Brighton fan. In that respect similar to Boro or Everton (until recently) and others, and for me it is the ideal situation...provided the fan owner can always keep the show on the road.

For us at Charlton we have been forced down that other fork in the road that has led to a distant entity acquiring a club almost as a curiosity. This is the land of changing team colours or names, appointing favoured nephews to the post of head coach, bringing in a player because a best mate said to the owner they were any good. Our particular fork in the road has not though led to dalliance with the premier league like Hull or Cardiff or Watford, nor lovely new facilities like those clubs either. Nor has our plight led to the owner being bothered about team results unlike like all the clubs with the nuttiest of owners like Birmingham or Leeds, at least these teams try to win matches however rubbish their set up may be. Our bloke does not go to matches and looks at the player stats before noticing if we have won (rarely), drawn (sometimes) or lost (very often).

So we at Charlton feel we have somehow ended up with a double whammy. We have had to journey through the Brighton, Bristol Rovers, Coventry type of have we even got a ground scenario, and shazaam we are in a deluded owner scenario with knobs on.

I know I have been making comparisons, and moaning on, and the experience you Brighton fans had to undergo in your wilderness years was shockingly bad, and as a poster said above, to the immense credit of each and every Seagull, it was indeed Brighton fans who saved Brighton at the end of the day and you should feel pride in that.

As for Saturday you will witness a stadium with huge gaps, and passion for this team in the last two years has been wrung out of us like slow torture, but you are very unlikely to see the game abandoned. It will be more like this beginning of the match against Birmingham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAs-LNT9lXA

Oh I nearly forgot, I know Brighton had it bad regarding Gillingham especially, but I raise you five years at that vile place that exists between the back end of beyond and the middle of nowhere, Selhurst Park!

Once again sincere thanks to the Brighton fans who have offered good wishes.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Why not stage a sit in after the game has finished?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here