Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next Saturday at the Valley

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
If your game, or the Burnley game gets abandoned there will be a huge problem for the league.
Say for example we fluke a draw against you, even though there is disruption and hold ups, but then the game against Burnley gets abandoned. It can't be right in those circumstances to award Burnley 3 points, and it is a bit of an urban (or rural) myth to assume an abandonment is a 3-0 win to the innocent party.
Clearly we (Charlton) will suffer penalties, but seeing as how we stopped being an actual football club two years ago it will matter little, but the league will struggle to handle a situation that might affect teams going for promotion.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
If your game, or the Burnley game gets abandoned there will be a huge problem for the league.
Say for example we fluke a draw against you, even though there is disruption and hold ups, but then the game against Burnley gets abandoned. It can't be right in those circumstances to award Burnley 3 points, and it is a bit of an urban (or rural) myth to assume an abandonment is a 3-0 win to the innocent party.
Clearly we (Charlton) will suffer penalties, but seeing as how we stopped being an actual football club two years ago it will matter little, but the league will struggle to handle a situation that might affect teams going for promotion.

I guess the FL will make a decision and the club which loses out as a result of that decision will sue the FL for £100 million.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I am NOT Rural. :annoyed:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The League can order a replay. See Blackpool v Huddersfield, although in that instance, the League didn't. Huddersfield were winning anyway.

20 years ago we managed to get the York city game abandoned which was then played behind closed doors for season ticket holders only.

They'll probably use the same approach.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
what an utter load of rubbish......your club is suffering from 'foreign owner disease' , as someone has already said, if you lot don't want to go, hand your tickets over to real football supporters !

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good luck with your endeavours, I hope we both get the result we're after.

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
what an utter load of rubbish......your club is suffering from 'foreign owner disease' , as someone has already said, if you lot don't want to go, hand your tickets over to real football supporters !

Fair enough this is your board and I don't want to be out of place so I must apologise for posting an 'utter load of rubbish'. However I have been watching Charlton since 1963 and held a season ticket continually since 1971, but I suppose i will await the accolade of being a 'real football supporter' for some time in the future.

Perhaps this protesting/struggle thing is a generational issue, and maybe younger supporters don't get it because they weren't there, which is understandable.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hello guys,

I'm a Charlton fan, may I firstly express my condolences to the family of the Brighton fan who passed away on Friday (sorry but I don't know his name), and extend that to you his fellow supporters. It may be inappropriate to say this, but his passing was the way many of us football fans would like to exit. However he is a loss, and I feel sure Albion fans will respond appropriately.

I have come here to talk about the game next Saturday, and I hope that isn't too objectionable. By the time of the game we will have been relegated, and of course you are pushing hard for promotion. There will be a kind of cross purpose agenda going on. You will rightly be cheering on your team to victory and the points (something you do very well, certainly recently at the Valley) however our focus will be somewhat different.

It could well be (and I don't yet know the plans) that the match is disrupted. It won't be personal to Brighton, but part of our current struggle, however it is likely to annoy Brighton fans who will come rightly intent on losing themselves in the business of the football match, and it will be annoying being messed up somewhat by some actions by Charlton fans. I am sure that the match will be completed however. You will have every right to be annoyed if the football is disrupted, but I am here to inform rather than justify.

I am not here for sympathy, or support, or to call in any favours, but to explain that Charlton fans are once again involved in a struggle for their club, and for our club to be 'normal' again. We thought our major struggle ended almost three decades ago when we fought to return home to the Valley, but sadly we were wrong.

I won't go into the history of everything, but I believe Charlton fans had a particular perspective on the Brighton nightmare years that you endured. We witnessed you having to trek to Gillingham, previously we followed (with bated breath) that game at Hereford where you scored an own goal, but survived with a Reinelt equaliser. That game was just after your last game at the Goldstone, we could identify with the awful pain of that because we had been through a final game ground share scenario ourselves, and we were all rooting for Brighton, not just because of shared antipathy to Crystal Palace, but because your manager was Charlton club legend Stevie Gritt who we have always felt great affection for.

Earlier part of your campaign was the fantastic Fans United day. It was brilliant to see fans from as far apart as Plymouth and Grimsby, and yes Crystal Palace and Liverpool, and I am pretty sure we organised at least two coachloads from Charlton to join you. This picture shows some Charlton fans united with you on that day.

View attachment 73729

I say all this, not because I want to call in any favours at all. We at Charlton have called upon the spirit of the days when we struggled for the Valley, and we have got our act together and have been campaigning since the end of October 2015 with a wide range of protests against our current absentee owner Roland Duchatelet, and his Chief Executive Katrien Meire (who last week was on holiday in Dubai!). For me personally the struggle has been heartbreaking but necessary, just as it must have been for Albion fans under Archer.

I won't list all the things we have done, but they range from lone wolf activity to mass protests and a little bit of research on your part (if you're that interested) will reveal more. This brings me back to the game on Saturday.
I am hoping that even if Brighton fans are pissed off by any disruption, that they understand that we are now in a place that many of your good selves were in before and we feel we have no choice.

Incidentally I am delighted with your present circumstances, and to top it off you have the best seats in the league, and the best vegetarian food too!

We have to do our thing as best we know how during this struggle. Who knows, by next Saturday we might have been sold on, but I doubt it. It will be nothing personal to Brighton as we have taken action against Boro too, and Birmingham, and on the last day it will be Burnley, but I suppose I have joined up here in an attempt to explain where a lot of Charlton fans will be coming from, and I suppose it is a kind of apology in advance for any of you that get pissed off by our actions.

Also, is it too much to ask for you to get promoted and relegate Palace?

Completely support whatever Charlton fans need to do to get your club back. Can't believe you're having issues again after having to fight to get back to the Valley. Good luck!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Fair enough this is your board and I don't want to be out of place so I must apologise for posting an 'utter load of rubbish'. However I have been watching Charlton since 1963 and held a season ticket continually since 1971, but I suppose i will await the accolade of being a 'real football supporter' for some time in the future.

Perhaps this protesting/struggle thing is a generational issue, and maybe younger supporters don't get it because they weren't there, which is understandable.

I'm quite shocked at some of the comments on this thread. There are a lot of Albion fans who remember where we've been and will fully support you. Sadly there are one or two who don't seem to and they are on this thread. I'm confident that 99% of Albion fans want you to do what you need to do (and it's not the fans fault that we've not been given more tickets).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm quite shocked at some of the comments on this thread. There are a lot of Albion fans who remember where we've been and will fully support you. Sadly there are one or two who don't seem to and they are on this thread. I'm confident that 99% of Albion fans want you to do what you need to do (and it's not the fans fault that we've not been given more tickets).

Bingo

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
In our war years, the Charlton Valley saga really spurred me on - it proved that fan power could work. The inspiration for the Seagulls Party came from the Valley Party. I won't forget the support we had from Charlton fans and you have my full support in whatever protests you organise. Fans United will never be defeated.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Blues Rock DJ is cock - ignore him

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here