[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
No, it's not because there's been no woman mentioned in the discussion. But Tyrone was putting forward the view that no men's team would ever accept being managed by a woman (even though one has). It's not happening at Brighton this week but there will definitely be a league team managed by a woman in the near future.

Maybe a League Two team. Maybe. Near future? Can't see it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
A woman managing in the English Prem? It will happen. It's not imminent, but it'll happen. How quickly it happens will depend on how quickly the women's game develops. It's making strides at the moment, and may need England to follow their recent success with more success, but those steps forward need to be consolidated and carried forward.

Why am I so confident it will happen? Because the skills required to be a good manager have nothing to do with gender - just look at Wiegman. I have no doubt she could succeed in the mens game. As the women's game grows and evolves, a larger pool of women managing, and showing the qualities needed to manage well, will emerge with it. It then becomes an inevitable matter of time before women managers start moving into the mens game - initially at the lower levels where clubs will sniff an opportunity to get a better manager that otherwise wouldn't be open to them, and then those women will begin making their way up the leagues.

It's just time - it'll happen. Just won't be the next Brighton manager.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'm starting to feel like this is becoming almost a straight contest between Knutsen and De Zerbi tbh. But I'm often wrong about this kind of thing.

Of those two, I think I like the cut of Knutsen's gib more, he seems like a closer fit for the way the team and club is set up. But De Zerbi has the (possibly key) advantage of being immediately available with no employer to compensate. At this stage, I think I'd be happy with either of them.

(With the caveat that, like most of us, I knew little about Knutsen before last week and literally nothing about De Zerbi until a couple of days ago.)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
This all sounds familiar. Let's look at what people thought about women becoming doctors

"Men have never made an outcry against women’s entering upon any occupation however hard or “degrading,” unless that occupation were one in which they would compete with men" (Westminster Hospital review)

“Whenever women are present, the male students, instead of turning to athletics, which keep the place together and create a valuable esprit de corps, turn to social distractions. They tend to become what are called in the Navy ‘poodle fakers’, that is, fellows who like parties more than games. (Daily Mirror)

"The ‘lady-doctor is a ‘traitress to her sex and in a civilised society, women should not follow their own eccentric longings for the will-o’-the-wisp pleasures of independence" (British Medical Journal)

"No woman of true delicacy would be willing in the presence of men to listen to the discussion of subjects that necessarily come under consideration of the students of medicine. Resolved, that we object to having the company of any female forced upon us, who is disposed to unsex herself, and to sacrifice her modesty by appearing with men in the lecture room" (Dean of Harvard College)

"Women seeking advanced education would develop monstrous brains and puny bodies and abnormally weak digestion." (Harvard again)

[Narrator's voice] Women now outnumber men at medical school

I read all of that in an Harry Enfield voice.
Women know your limits.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'm starting to feel like this is becoming almost a straight contest between Knutsen and De Zerbi tbh. But I'm often wrong about this kind of thing.

Of those two, I think I like the cut of Knutsen's gib more, he seems like a closer fit for the way the team and club is set up. But De Zerbi has the (possibly key) advantage of being immediately available with no employer to compensate. At this stage, I think I'd be happy with either of them.

(With the caveat that, like most of us, I knew little about Knutsen before last week and literally nothing about De Zerbi until a couple of days ago.)

Please do not try to re-rail this thread which has been nicely de-railed into the role of women in mens football and greater society.

It's not as if it's an important thread or anything

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Anytime around.

Its a fairytale for a woman to manage a top men's side, one day someone may risk it in a low division ( I doubt it ).

You don't even get women helping out as part of a coaching groups as yet, not that I am aware off.

we are much further away from this happening than people think or would like to think.

I personally don't see it ever happening

Wow.

Never is a very long time for your view to hold water.

The list of things men have thought women will never be able (/allowed) to do is a long one.

The list of things that it turned out they couldn't do (if given a chance) is a short one - I can't think of any TBH.

You can file these thoughts away with those who thought women could never be doctors, pilots, CEOs etc etc.

Perhaps you'd be at home somewhere they don't even let women drive?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'd fully support a woman in the role - tbh... why someone like Hayes would represent more of a risk than De Zebri or similar is lost on me ...?

I'd hope we'd be the first club to do something truly seismic - I'd like that a great deal.

That said, it's sadly more likely someone like Hayes would be required to 'prove' herself in the mens game - a club like Forest Green would be my best to go for a female manager/coach...

Although I wouldn't rule this out for us just yet ...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'd fully support a woman in the role - tbh... why someone like Hayes would represent more of a risk than De Zebri or similar is lost on me ...?

I'd hope we'd be the first club to do something truly seismic - I'd like that a great deal.

That said, it's sadly more likely someone like Hayes would be required to 'prove' herself in the mens game - a club like Forest Green would be my best to go for a female manager/coach...

Although I wouldn't rule this out for us just yet ...

I understand that Hayes has, in the past, been sounded out for managerial roles at L2 / Conference level but she has laughed them off. It was along the lines of why would she move to a lower league mens team when she has a huge budget at Chelsea, fantastic training facilities & support staff, winning trophies, playing CL football, managing some of the very best players in the world etc. I totally get that.

But a top half EPL team? Might be a different story.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Bruno’s odds shortening down to 10/1 and 5th favourite behind Knuts/Zerbi/Cooper/Poste :shrug:

Bizarre

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

The only explanation I can think of (other than the volatile/made up market being moved by the odd fiver for no real reason from hopeful, misty-eyed fans) is that Bruno is still in the conversation to take over.

Bloom, Barber & Weir want to conduct a proper selection process and would need a couple of weeks for that in order to properly consider the whole market. INCLUDING Bruno?

The club can't guarantee what his role will look like with a new manager (that isn't Bruno) as they don't know who it is yet. In the meantime, his departure is announced because if he doesn't get the manager gig, he'll be going with Potter...

There's an argument to suggest that taking over as caretaker would have put Bruno in a better position to get the permanent job, but it would still be an outside chance and perhaps too big a risk to take for him, if turning down Chelsea in order to be caretaker would mean no job at Chelsea.

So could the compromise with Bruno be... the club announces that he's going, but carry on the interview process with him and the other candidates. If Bruno's the right man for the job, he pulls out of the deal with Chelsea and comes back. If not, he gets to keep the coaching job at Chelsea, develop his experience and comes back when Knutsen is poached by Man City because he led Albion into the Champions League...

Lots of ifs and buts and all based on zero ITK info, but stranger things have happened :mad:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The only explanation I can think of (other than the volatile/made up market being moved by the odd fiver for no real reason from hopeful, misty-eyed fans) is that Bruno is still in the conversation to take over.

Bloom, Barber & Weir want to conduct a proper selection process and would need a couple of weeks for that in order to properly consider the whole market. INCLUDING Bruno?

The club can't guarantee what his role will look like with a new manager (that isn't Bruno) as they don't know who it is yet. In the meantime, his departure is announced because if he doesn't get the manager gig, he'll be going with Potter...

There's an argument to suggest that taking over as caretaker would have put Bruno in a better position to get the permanent job, but it would still be an outside chance and perhaps too big a risk to take for him, if turning down Chelsea in order to be caretaker would mean no job at Chelsea.

So could the compromise with Bruno be... the club announces that he's going, but carry on the interview process with him and the other candidates. If Bruno's the right man for the job, he pulls out of the deal with Chelsea and comes back. If not, he gets to keep the coaching job at Chelsea, develop his experience and comes back when Knutsen is poached by Man City because he led Albion into the Champions League...

Lots of ifs and buts and all based on zero ITK info, but stranger things have happened :mad:

They certainly have, you are correct.

But Bruno has already demonstrated that he can easily be bought off by a huge pile of notes once. Would the club even start to think about recruiting him as a manager when his loyalty can be bought so easily?

Not for me.

#nolongeralegend

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
If Bruno was really in the running, we would have told him to hold off when he said he was leaving.

Now he has a brand new contract that we would need to buy out.

Non-starter.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They certainly have, you are correct.

But Bruno has already demonstrated that he can easily be bought off by a huge pile of notes once. Would the club even start to think about recruiting him as a manager when his loyalty can be bought so easily?

Not for me.

#nolongeralegend

Of course they would, they're running a football club, not a fan's ideological sentiment centre.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Bruno was really in the running, we would have told him to hold off when he said he was leaving.

Now he has a brand new contract that we would need to buy out.

Non-starter.

Well, the odds would say different at this point - so something somewhere has triggered his odds being slashed. He is only a first team coach remember, not a manager or assistant manager or principle first team coach. I doubt there is much of a severance clause, and even so, probably has a 14 day cooling off period or something anyway.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Well, the odds would say different at this point - so something somewhere has triggered his odds being slashed. He is only a first team coach remember, not a manager or assistant manager or principle first team coach. I doubt there is much of a severance clause, and even so, probably has a 14 day cooling off period or something anyway.

Somebody's put a tenner on him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports