Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Society isn't ready for a woman yet - I say society deliberately to mean not specifically football.

If the albion appointed a woman and then had to sack her how would wider society react ?

Sexist ! Chauvinistic ! Bhafc scum ! Barber's head is needed on a plate ! Bloom must go !

Basically a world of pain for the club.

We saw it with all the accusations of "racism" when Hughton was dismissed.

Society needs to grow up first. We wouldn't need the circus.

We should be sexist about our choice of manager, to avoid potential accusations of sexism?
It's a meritocracy, if there is someone out there that has all the attributes we are looking for and has proven their ability in a high standard professional league, they will be considered. There is only one reason we will likely not appoint a woman this time round, there is not a female coach out there with a track record that fits the bill.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We should be sexist about our choice of manager, to avoid potential accusations of sexism?
It's a meritocracy, if there is someone out there that has all the attributes we are looking for and has proven their ability in a high standard professional league, they will be considered. There is only one reason we will likely not appoint a woman this time round, there is not a female coach out there with a track record that fits the bill.

I didn't say that we should be sexist.

I said we should expect a world of pain if and when we had to sack a female manager. Maybe we'd just pay her to resign to avoid the backlash. Maybe we would just let all the insults and accusations under the sun bounce off us.

The accusations of racism when we "dared" to sack Hughton were pretty unpleasant - all I am saying is we'd have to be prepared for worse. Please don't read anything else into my words.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Kieran Mckenna is definitely worth a look. I don't his style of football Ipswich play but they have always been. A actracrive footballing side.
Could be a reasonable shout, I bet he’s one of the coaches the club have been tracking.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I said we should expect a world of pain if and when we had to sack a female manager. Maybe we'd just pay her to resign to avoid the backlash. Maybe we would just let all the insults and accusations under the sun bounce off us.

The accusations of racism when we "dared" to sack Hughton were pretty unpleasant - all I am saying is we'd have to be prepared for worse. Please don't read anything else into my words.

You said "Society needs to grow up first. We wouldn't need the circus." I took that to mean you think we should not appoint a woman at this point in time, apologies if that is not what you meant. When John Barnes was making a fuss about TB sacking Hughton, I thought it made Barnes look stupid, not TB racist. I mean, the club owner that hired Hughton in the first place, is getting stick for sacking him after 4 and half seasons, because despite squad strengthening, we ended up on less points and closer to relegation than the season before. What others might say is no reason to avoid a good candidate, and if it was purely because of someones sex, sexual orientation, religion or race, it would be illegal.

Chris36d

Banned
Sep 9, 2022
it would be great if we appointed a woman at least personally I would love that but I think we are a long way from that happening. Its bad enough all the homophobic comments without getting sexist ones too the the Amex. What might happen is an assistant that non-male but I cannot think of any club where they have that set up, can you?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Regarding next managers. How can Potter be the favorite for the England job (Sly Bet currently 2-1). The England job is likely to be available in January when Potter will have had only 3 months managing Chelsea. I suppose it is possible he could be available by January.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
But we could do better.

His implied criticism of the Muff board, will count him out of any chance he would have had of being employed by Tony Bloom

A lot better.

Sticking Mitro on the bench for the majority of his Fulham-in-the-EPL tenure due to ‘higher footballing ethics’ was unforgivable. He is a Championship level manager.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think TB would have a problem with hiring a woman if there was a clear and obvious candidate that fitted what the club wants (successful and willing to play brave, progressive possession football) and needs (used to working with fairly small resources and have emphasis on player development) but there just isn't a clear and obvious candidate like that in women's football right now. National teams often pay more than clubs in the women's side of football meaning that when you show some qualities you quickly go on to coach national teams, making it difficult to really know what they'd do with a club team. Hayes is probably as close as we can get, but she's worked for ten years in a club where she can just buy a world class player whenever she needs one which is just very far from the situation she'd be in if she came to Brighton.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You seem to be suggesting we shouldn't appoint a female manager (or a black one) because of the backlash if we have to sack them.

Not sure what else there is to read into your words. I would hazard a guess that you haven't though this one entirely through.

I should add I don't think we should appoint a female manager yet because none available have experience with top flight men's management, even in an assistant capacity.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
You seem to be suggesting we shouldn't appoint a female manager (or a black one) because of the backlash if we have to sack them.

Not sure what else there is to read into your words. I would hazard a guess that you haven't though this one entirely through.

I should add I don't think we should appoint a female manager yet because none available have experience with top flight men's management, even in an assistant capacity.

If a salient thought in the recruitment process is whether they will be difficult to sack, I’d argue we’ve lost our way a bit!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

In fairness, previously when clubs have sacked BAME managers (Hughton, Powell come to mind immediately), there have been articles almost immediately lamenting the lack of diversity within football management. Whilst this isn’t a discussion that shouldn’t be had, and certainly more often at that, it isn’t one that often occurs until a BAME manager is sacked from his position.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ays-Troy-Townsend-hints-just-bad-results.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...n-brighton-premier-league-black-managers/amp/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chris-powell-sacked-english-football-3229151.amp

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/10/bame-managers-english-football-history

The criticism often falls on the club doing the sacking through implication. Many articles read like “there is now one fewer BAME manager, thanks to this club”.

It shouldn’t be a hindrance to hiring a non-white male coach, and I’m certain it wouldn’t be for TB, but it is a reality that we would face based on prior evidence should a sacking occur.

It is more the implication than the content, usually,

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think TB would have a problem with hiring a woman if there was a clear and obvious candidate that fitted what the club wants (successful and willing to play brave, progressive possession football) and needs (used to working with fairly small resources and have emphasis on player development) but there just isn't a clear and obvious candidate like that in women's football right now. National teams often pay more than clubs in the women's side of football meaning that when you show some qualities you quickly go on to coach national teams, making it difficult to really know what they'd do with a club team. Hayes is probably as close as we can get, but she's worked for ten years in a club where she can just buy a world class player whenever she needs one which is just very far from the situation she'd be in if she came to Brighton.

Would Serena Weigman not be such a candidate?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In fairness, previously when clubs have sacked BAME managers (Hughton, Powell come to mind immediately), there have been articles almost immediately lamenting the lack of diversity within football management. Whilst this isn’t a discussion that shouldn’t be had, and certainly more often at that, it isn’t one that often occurs until a BAME manager is sacked from his position.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ays-Troy-Townsend-hints-just-bad-results.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...n-brighton-premier-league-black-managers/amp/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chris-powell-sacked-english-football-3229151.amp

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/10/bame-managers-english-football-history

The criticism often falls on the club doing the sacking through implication. Many articles read like “there is now one fewer BAME manager, thanks to this club”.

It shouldn’t be a hindrance to hiring a non-white male coach, and I’m certain it wouldn’t be for TB, but it is a reality that we would face based on prior evidence should a sacking occur.

It is more the implication than the content, usually,

Yes, we got pelters from one self-appointed spokes-organization for black people, which was retracted a few days later after the author was provided with some facts.

Misplaced criticism? Being thought to have been seen to be doing what we were not actually doing? Like the famous story about how our club sold the Goldstone for greed then started crying over the fact we had no stadium?

**** the implication. When our club makes decisions based around the best interest of the club, fortunately Mr Bloom has the balls not to be restrained by whether someone may decide to be offended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here