Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sascha Lewandowski, and tbh with way things turned out if was probably best he didn’t join us. He hung himself in 2016 after being arrested by German police for Child abuse.

That's the one, but didn't know the backstory. Phew.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He is not an idiot but he's not infallible. Sami Hypia was a mistake. I would say hes has got 5 out of 6 correct though!!
Sami Hyypia is the reason I still have a little bit of apprehension over this appointment.

That was a colossal mistake - I hope all the right lessons have been learned ( or fed into the algorithm ).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's the understatement of the year. It's about as likely as Croydon being named an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

I mentioned it earlier but I do find it incredible there are no firm rumours as to who the Albion have in their sights. Within an hour of Tuchel getting the boot, the papers were full of Potter but there's not a dicky bird coming out of the club. I know Naylor's done a piece but it's all speculation

The only rumour that l heard, and that was someone on here, was that we had asked for permission to talk to Nathan Jones, Russell Martin, and Steve Cooper.

Luton and Swansea gave permission, but we were still waiting to hear from Forest. It may well all of been guff though of course.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sami Hyypia is the reason I still have a little bit of apprehension over this appointment.

That was a colossal mistake - I hope all the right lessons have been learned ( or fed into the algorithm ).

Well all that anybody can do is what they think is best at the time isn't it? any new appointment is going to be a gamble even after all the due diligence has been done.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Not only that, no-one in the mainstream media has even bothered to talk about it....it's all about Chelsea

This. Spurs supporting mate and my Liverpool supporting Brother in Law had no clue that he took the entire first team coaches and left us with the youth player/coach who has one years experience. Plus the very obvious 'tapping up' which had gone on beforehand.

They were shocked and asked why is it not talked about on Sky? Because it doesn't meet with their narrative of the English manager made good etc...

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Well all that anybody can do is what they think is best at the time isn't it? any new appointment is going to be a gamble even after all the due diligence has been done.

Tony Bloom said (at a fan forum) that Hypia was a very poor communicator (between owner and manager I presume rather than players and manager, although it could have been poor communicator full stop). That was something that should have been picked up during the appointment process and maybe it was but Tony decided other positives outweighed the negatives.

We all know that the management team will have had a succession plan drawn up so this will not be a spur of the moment appointment. I guess that the circumstances of any particular target can complicate things though so we may have to be patient. I think the Potter appointment took a while didn't it?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Tony Bloom said (at a fan forum) that Hypia was a very poor communicator (between owner and manager I presume rather than players and manager, although it could have been poor communicator full stop). That was something that should have been picked up during the appointment process and maybe it was but Tony decided other positives outweighed the negatives.

We all know that the management team will have had a succession plan drawn up so this will not be a spur of the moment appointment. I guess that the circumstances of any particular target can complicate things though so we may have to be patient. I think the Potter appointment took a while didn't it?

Hughton was sacked on 13/5/19. Potter took over 7 days later on the 20/5/19.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Hughton went on 13th May. Potter appointed on the 20th, so a week in total.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
There will be a lot of managers eyeing us up not least because of a top stadium and training facilities - the latter being the 9-5 base, youthful squad and league position. Being run professionally is a boost. Hopefully, quality ones and plenty of choice should see us dodge the duffers.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Bloom and Barber may have known that Chelsea were lining Potter up but until things moved on Wednesday we couldn’t make our move to replace him. We may have a short list of potential replacements but we could hardly approach anyone until Potter left.
With Potter replacing Hughton we would have already approached Potter beforehand ( I assume) to check whether he would be interested if the vacancy came up. I believe that this is the way things work.
So to replace Potter in seven days seems unlikely.
Thankfully we have some time and the team are in good form. I’d much prefer a bit of time and careful consideration about getting the right man, than a rushed appointment.
The other factor to this is that some of the potential targets work abroad. There will be the issue of whether they and their families would be prepared to move. There may also be work permit issues?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Vicente

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The more I read about Russell Martin, the more I like him. Although one non football related thing in particular might make me a bit biased.

Big Brighton connection too :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hughton was sacked on 13/5/19. Potter took over 7 days later on the 20/5/19.

I think much of that time was taken up in persuading the Swansea board to let us talk to their manager, the first couple of days anyway, as our first request was certainly refused. Although l'm sure Potter was top of our wanted list should Hughton leave the club by whatever means.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Having pondered over the last few days I think one thing is clear. We have reached a 'standard' where a far more experienced manager that ticks TBs boxes is needed. I would like THOMAS TUCHEL! Would be so sweet to not only beat Chelsea twice but also finish above them. It really would be the perfect film script. I suspect Tuchel will be taking a few months out as he's been going through a divorce.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The only rumour that l heard, and that was someone on here, was that we had asked for permission to talk to Nathan Jones, Russell Martin, and Steve Cooper.

Luton and Swansea gave permission, but we were still waiting to hear from Forest. It may well all of been guff though of course.

I saw that: it's not been repeated anywhere else though. Makes me think that it's just rumour

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The more I read about Russell Martin, the more I like him. Although one non football related thing in particular might make me a bit biased.

Big Brighton connection too :thumbsup:

I agree. Some people seem to have a problem with him, probably because Swanseas results aren't great... completely missing out on the fact that Swansea is a complete shipwreck and has been since asset strippers Levain & Kaplan bought the club.

Potter and Cooper did well to even keep the team in the Championship and same goes for Martin.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

If Hypia was a good communicator with the players that would suggest they understood what he wanted and were playing it. In which case did TB saying anything about him being a full on lunatic?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here