Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Are you sure you mean Richie Towell? I thought it was Liam Ridgewell who joined us from Portland Timbers.

Liam Ridgewell joined from Portland also but his Timbers team did not win the MLS cup. I do think Seattle finished in 2nd place but not to Portland.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Someone like Russell Martin might be a success, but it's a risk we don't need to take. We're fourth in the PL, we're on the back of our best ever season and we have an incredible squad - there is absolutely no need to take a punt on a manager who has achieved very little apart from playing attractive football with MK Dons & Swansea.

We were in a very different position when we appointed Potter, and in fairness he had achieved far more than Kieran McKenna and Russell Martin.

As an aside, Nathan Jones' Luton play awful football, it won't be him either..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I agree. Some people seem to have a problem with him, probably because Swanseas results aren't great... completely missing out on the fact that Swansea is a complete shipwreck and has been since asset strippers Levain & Kaplan bought the club.

Potter and Cooper did well to even keep the team in the Championship and same goes for Martin.

Agreed. Most important thing to me is playing style. He clearly likes possession based attacking football. Given their position in the table, their possession stats and successful pass stats are exceptional. They don't suffer from a massive lack of creating chances either, just converting those chances.

Just liked Potterball, given time and the right players to work with, goals and results will come.

Seems very much the new GP to me, and I'd take that football all day long.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Swansea mates say we’re welcome to him.

:lolol:

I've read the usual comments saying they'd gladly drive him here. :lol:

Always a good sign that. Look at some of the muppet threads and comments we've suffered on here during the Potter era. :rolleyes:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Tony Bloom said (at a fan forum) that Hypia was a very poor communicator (between owner and manager I presume rather than players and manager, although it could have been poor communicator full stop). That was something that should have been picked up during the appointment process and maybe it was but Tony decided other positives outweighed the negatives.

We all know that the management team will have had a succession plan drawn up so this will not be a spur of the moment appointment. I guess that the circumstances of any particular target can complicate things though so we may have to be patient. I think the Potter appointment took a while didn't it?

Tony also stated that the loss of Sammy Lee as his assistant was a big big issue as Sami didn’t know the ‘championship’, Tony didn’t realise how big at the time

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I’m going straight down the bookies if we pick Russell Martin, or Nathan Jones and sticking £50 on us to be relegated.

I find it so depressing that people are even mentioning these names. What is it with some Albion fans and their low self esteem?

Do they honestly think that is all we are worth?

We have the best opportunity we will ever have to attract top level talent and people are happy to settle for these low level coaches.

I really hope Tony and Paul are not thinking like this. I am sure they are not.

They’re not are they?

Use the £23 from Potter to pay Poch the same wages as Potters contract but on a 2 year deal. He is out of work, we lose nothing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I find it so depressing that people are even mentioning these names. What is it with some Albion fans and their low self esteem?

We have the best opportunity we will ever have to attract top level talent and people are happy to settle for these low level coaches.

They’re not are they?

Use the £23 from Potter to pay Poch the same as Potter but on a 2 year contract. He is out of work, we lose nothing.

Maybe people over the years just noticed that Brighton usually don't go for the most expensive options?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

They’re not are they?

Use the £23 from Potter to pay Poch the same wages as Potters contract but on a 2 year deal. He is out of work, we lose nothing.

Think you'll find it was a bit more than that. £22million apparently. £23 won't go very far.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maybe things need to change if we want progress?

Or maybe things need to stay similar considering there's been progress pretty much every year for the last decade?

Spending more does not necessarily mean you get better quality (though it is obviously sometimes the case).

Caicedo cost about £5m, does that make him any worse than Danny Drinkwater who cost Chelsea £35m?

If Tony Bloom can find a manager as good as Pochettino for a third of the cost, why wouldn't he go for it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here