Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newhaven-Dieppe Ferry advice please

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
There's quite a bit in the offing (I've been working on some of it)... Details to follow! Mostly flats though, I have to admit.

What would be great is Gunwharf type development along the waterfront.

The big new access road is already there, btw. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...:0x3eb9e8f1e73ab1da!8m2!3d50.79307!4d0.045574

blimey Notters,that took me back,I used to live down Clifton Road

Parker Pen wiped off the map!

as for the thread anyone metioned Honfleur

D

Deleted member 22389

There's quite a bit in the offing (I've been working on some of it)... Details to follow! Mostly flats though, I have to admit.

What would be great is Gunwharf type development along the waterfront.

The big new access road is already there, btw. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...:0x3eb9e8f1e73ab1da!8m2!3d50.79307!4d0.045574

It would be brilliant, the numbers of jobs that would be created building it, and after it would turn Newhaven around. Parker pen going finally finished Newhaven off. Depressing seeing nothing more than wasteland where it used to be. I worked there briefly just before it shut down, even then it felt like an excellent company to work for.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It would be brilliant, the numbers of jobs that would be created building it, and after it would turn Newhaven around. Parker pen going finally finished Newhaven off. Depressing seeing nothing more than wasteland where it used to be. I worked there briefly just before it shut down, even then it felt like an excellent company to work for.

To be fair, I've heard "Parker pen going finally finished Newhaven off", and "the ring road finished Newhaven off" and various other things, but it's a pretty good place to live all in all.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
To be fair, I've heard "Parker pen going finally finished Newhaven off", and "the ring road finished Newhaven off" and various other things, but it's a pretty good place to live all in all.

Newhaven was a different animal in the 70's

all the factory workers spending money in the town

sandy beach

no channel tunnel

7 o'clock boat on a Saturday!

the port was very busy as were the pubs

Lord Lucan running about :lol:

fond memories of growing up there and always enjoy going back there when I'm over

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I was going to mention Honfleur, but thought it might be a bit far from Dieppe
very lovely place though

yeah,it's a bit of a trot,hour and half I guess

but if your heading to the landing beaches,it's a good stop over

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Newhaven was a different animal in the 70's

all the factory workers spending money in the town

sandy beach

no channel tunnel

7 o'clock boat on a Saturday!

the port was very busy as were the pubs

Lord Lucan running about :lol:

fond memories of growing up there and always enjoy going back there when I'm over

I use to love getting the night crossing to Dieppe, there'd be a train waiting at the (old) port that went straight to Paris

There was a funny little bar at Newhaven ferry station full of characters ... great days

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I use to love getting the night crossing to Dieppe, there'd be a train waiting at the (old) port that went straight to Paris

There was a funny little bar at Newhaven ferry station full of characters ... great days

the ferry literally sailing into the middle of the town at Dieppe was great

I only managed Paris once from Dieppe

usually had too many sherberts on the boat over and stayed in Dieppe

D

Deleted member 22389

the ferry literally sailing into the middle of the town at Dieppe was great

I only managed Paris once from Dieppe

usually had too many sherberts on the boat over and stayed in Dieppe

I remember the train in Dieppe waiting for the ferry.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Many thanks Yes Chef and all. Plenty of food for thought (and drink!)

Don't think anyone's mentioned Bayeux yet. Which is where we went last time we were over there. Lovely town, lots of good restaurants. Obviously the tapestry but also the D-Day museum was excellent (both on one ticket). Admitedly it's a bit if a drive.

D

Deleted member 22389

It just needs some love.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's good to see the ferry filling up yesterday. Let's hope they keep it going. That side of the port has so much potential. Needs a developer to flatten the lot, create a new port, create a new industrial estate, and turn it in to a decent marina with shops, restaurants, flats and houses. It would transform Newhaven because that side has become so run down now. obviously something needs to be done about access.

Sounds good, as long as The Engineer is left alone.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is the engineer alright? Not been in yet!

I usually go when we have a Saturday match ( not very often then :down: )
It's handy for catching the train at Newhaven Harbour. It's what I would call a proper back street boozer, TVs showing football and horse racing, pool table, darts and fruit machine.
No food apart from crisps and nuts and swearing is allowed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I usually go when we have a Saturday match ( not very often then :down: )
It's handy for catching the train at Newhaven Harbour. It's what I would call a proper back street boozer, TVs showing football and horse racing, pool table, darts and fruit machine.
No food apart from crisps and nuts and swearing is allowed.

Is it packed with Albion legions on a Sat lunchtime on match days?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here