Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newhaven-Dieppe Ferry advice please

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
That first tweet doesn't make sense or this one doesn't.
[tweet]624257879957241856[/tweet]

If there were migrant problems, the delay would be at the Calais side, but they're running to schedule.

Hmmm caught the 13:36 i think it was, no problems. Ask the guy about issues in the train and he said the delay on Monday was due to deaths of people trying to catch the train after its moving.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's a great service! The ferries are lovely. Drinks and food are good and really cheap. Yes, it would be good to have the fast service back, but it's a no-brainer to use it, particularly if you're going to that part of France.

It would be good if they spent a bit of money on the Newhaven port to bring it up to the standard of the Dieppe one. Fingers crossed they will do one day.

Totally agree about the food Notters...we had a really nice meal on there. Think mine was £8? Big serving and good quality too.
Unfortunately agree about the state of Newhaven port compared to Dieppe too....Dieppe is a lovely little town with a good modern port building. Shame we cant say the same thing for this side of the channel.

Agree with what you are both saying here about the ship and how nice Dieppe is.
The problem with Dieppe though it's not great for foot passengers.

A few of us went to France about 3 years back at the end of September, when the ship docked in Dieppe we got on a small shuttle bus to the Railway station, we then picked up a hire car and spent a few days in Normandy.

After returning the hire next to Dieppe station we found out the shuttle bus stopped running at the end of September, we also couldn't find a cab and no buses go to the port.
We managed to get a bus part way and then had a fair hike to board the ship.

One thing the port of Newhaven has is 2 nearby train stations and decent bus links, after getting of the ship in Newhaven it took me minutes to find a taxi.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
After returning the hire next to Dieppe station we found out the shuttle bus stopped running at the end of September, we also couldn't find a cab and no buses go to the port.

That's generally true in France though: we had the same problem in Boulogne and on our holidays in the south. It only took about a minute to fire up the web on my phone and find a cab number - that's the way it goes over there, the French don't really do cab ranks

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On the Operation Stack shenanigans, we got up an hour earlier than originally planned, and despite the detour via the M2 it was plain sailing.

The ferries are running about an hour late, however.

We're just off the French coast now 😀

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
We are getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander then driving camper van home through France. Dieppe to Newhaven ferry on the way home.

Its really bloody reasonable so I thought it would be bloody awful, but after a couple of weeks in the camper van with the family I thought i just want to get back to Sussex asap, so this has cheered me up, sounds like the ferry is better than I had planned. Bon voyage indeed

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
"After returning the hire next to Dieppe station we found out the shuttle bus stopped running at the end of September, we also couldn't find a cab and no buses go to the port.
We managed to get a bus part way and then had a fair hike to board the ship."

Ouch I know that's a fair hike and in the open too, no fun if it's raining. I wonder why they pulled the bus service, it had been there ever since the berth was moved over the river back in the 1990's I guess.

I really liked it when you could get a train in direct from Paris, hop off and get some wine in the main shopping street in a supermarket and then walk back and onto the boat. THAT was civilised.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A few years ago, we'd often do a day trip to Dieppe on a Saturday. The market in Dieppe is fantastic and it's a lovely town. But the ferry times have changed now so you don't get long in the town.

Mrs P and I love Dieppe, it's a lovely little town. Occasionally now we will go over on the Friday, book a cheap-as-chips hotel on the seafront and come back on the Sunday ferry. That way at least we get the whole of the day Saturday for the market, and there's some great restaurants along the front by the harbour that don't break the bank for dinner.

Last time we went, on the Sunday we drove along the coast to Le Tréport where they have a funicular running up and down through the cliffs. It's another really quaint seaside town again with lots of lovely restaurants on the front for a leisurely lunch before driving back to Dieppe for the ferry. Oh, and the funicular is free to use :thumbsup:

funicular.jpg

Last edited:

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Many years ago we did a daytrip to Dieppe on a Friday.

Got the first ferry over, spent the day wandering round the town and various bars. Had a lovely fish dinner in a restuarant.

Then went to a bar in the evening, and spent most of the time playing pool with the friendly local, until 0200, when it was time to get the ferry back.

Slept on the chair in the bar on the way back.

Such a marvelous day :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We are getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander then driving camper van home through France. Dieppe to Newhaven ferry on the way home.

Its really bloody reasonable so I thought it would be bloody awful, but after a couple of weeks in the camper van with the family I thought i just want to get back to Sussex asap, so this has cheered me up, sounds like the ferry is better than I had planned. Bon voyage indeed

It's cheap because it's subsidised by the French regional government, not because it's sub-standard.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Thinking of doing a couple of nights in the Dieppe/Normandy region the end of the month. First time doing this so nothing too adventurous as find feet. Just a light driving tour, nice little towns, hotel with easy parking that kind of thing. Any ideas for an itinerary?

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Thinking of doing a couple of nights in the Dieppe/Normandy region the end of the month. First time doing this so nothing too adventurous as find feet. Just a light driving tour, nice little towns, hotel with easy parking that kind of thing. Any ideas for an itinerary?

I literally took the 11pm sailing last night, and am typing this from my hotel room in Rouen!
I love Normandy, and often over this way. Dieppe is pleasant for a port town, the fish markets/seafood are worth checking out, and I stayed in a really nice B and B in Arques la Bataille last summer. Etretat is an artistic haven, and Caen is very good for William the Conqueror/D Day type history. We spent my 40th birthday in Les Andelys in this place http://www.hotel-lachainedor.com/fr/, a year or so ago. I'm going to Jumieges tomorrow, and want to get to Monet's gardens in Giverny in the near future.
But for me, I think Rouen is possibly my favourite spot. It ticks all the cultural/ history/ gastro boxes and is the sort of place where you can lounge around in a café all afternoon, alternately drinking red wine and espresso, naval gazing, pontificating, smoking gitanes and arguing on NSC.
It does rain a lot, so bring a brolly.
For further reading the DK eyewitness Top 10 Normandy guide is full of excellent ideas/ itineraries.
Hope you have a good time!!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

there are some lovely villages along the coast in the direction of Brittany .... Roses, St Valery. Fécamp is a pleasant town to visit. Not sure what the drive is like as I was hiking/camping when I went

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I literally took the 11pm sailing last night, and am typing this from my hotel room in Rouen!
I love Normandy, and often over this way. Dieppe is pleasant for a port town, the fish markets/seafood are worth checking out, and I stayed in a really nice B and B in Arques la Bataille last summer. Etretat is an artistic haven, and Caen is very good for William the Conqueror/D Day type history. We spent my 40th birthday in Les Andelys in this place http://www.hotel-lachainedor.com/fr/, a year or so ago. I'm going to Jumieges tomorrow, and want to get to Monet's gardens in Giverny in the near future.
But for me, I think Rouen is possibly my favourite spot. It ticks all the cultural/ history/ gastro boxes and is the sort of place where you can lounge around in a café all afternoon, alternately drinking red wine and espresso, naval gazing, pontificating, smoking gitanes and arguing on NSC.
It does rain a lot, so bring a brolly.
For further reading the DK eyewitness Top 10 Normandy guide is full of excellent ideas/ itineraries.
Hope you have a good time!!

Hello sailor!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

An excellent and helpful post for the questioner.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

D

Deleted member 22389

It's good to see the ferry filling up yesterday. Let's hope they keep it going. That side of the port has so much potential. Needs a developer to flatten the lot, create a new port, create a new industrial estate, and turn it in to a decent marina with shops, restaurants, flats and houses. It would transform Newhaven because that side has become so run down now. obviously something needs to be done about access.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's good to see the ferry filling up yesterday. Let's hope they keep it going. That side of the port has so much potential. Needs a developer to flatten the lot, create a new port, create a new industrial estate, and turn it in to a decent marina with shops, restaurants, flats and houses. It would transform Newhaven because that side has become so run down now. obviously something needs to be done about access.

There's quite a bit in the offing (I've been working on some of it)... Details to follow! Mostly flats though, I have to admit.

What would be great is Gunwharf type development along the waterfront.

The big new access road is already there, btw. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...:0x3eb9e8f1e73ab1da!8m2!3d50.79307!4d0.045574

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here