Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Monks Farm Development

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've no objection to them building the place, but do people really get that excited about IKEA? I've been to the one in Purley a few times and yet the most I've ever come away with is a lampshade or two and a few multipacks of bargain basement batteries. I end up looking at the furniture and thinking it nearly all looks like it belongs in a student house. Never ever bought anything of significance in there...not even the meatballs.

I wouldn't say I get excited by it, but we've ended up with quite a bit of IKEA stuff in the house and I've no complaints. Unlike other bits of furniture from elsewhere that is more expensive, but a much inferior product. Mrs B is, as I type, ordering some bits from there I believe.

In fairness, same reason people get excited about Lidl and Aldi, you get okay stuff for cheap prices. I hate the dynamics of the place, a feel like a sheep there. Things is, you can kit out a house on budget....

Totally get that – especially the Southampton one, which I had the misfortune to visit once. I hate, detest and loathe that branch and couldn't get out quick enough :rant:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've no objection to them building the place, but do people really get that excited about IKEA? I've been to the one in Purley a few times and yet the most I've ever come away with is a lampshade or two and a few multipacks of bargain basement batteries. I end up looking at the furniture and thinking it nearly all looks like it belongs in a student house. Never ever bought anything of significance in there...not even the meatballs.

What Ikea demonstrated when it arrived is how shit UK high street / retail park furniture stores are in general. Habitat, Heals etc. can end up costing you a fortune, then you have a variety of outlets doing derivative melamine tat, or OakWorld or whatever that does nothing to inspire. Lets face it, Ikea has some fun stuff, jokes about the little tools apart, you can bowl up in a reasonably size family car, pack up enough furniture for a 3 bed house and be home in time for tea (or have tea there ha ha) and have enough money left in the back to buy a new telly. Yeah, some of it looks a student like, or designed by a student, but actually some of it is pretty well designed, and rather than kitting out your whole house, they've got enough decent stuff to supplement other nice furniture options. For those lacking in imagination, the show setups also throw up a bit of inspiration.

Personally, I'd rather pick up some nice second hand properly made bit of furniture if I can, but it really isn't hard to understand why its so successful and why people do get excited about it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Oh god that lot, remember arguing the toss over ground rent for the beach hut we had given the facility provided was a water tap that dogs peed on.

They do come across as more than a little backward. It may have ended well in the end but the site that the Perch occupies was half built for years, partly due to opposition from these half wits.The uproar when they thought they were going to get a Thai restaurant there :smile:

The developers are never going to be able to persuade everyone that they have eliminated the risk of flooding, especially as there is an existing problem nearby, that apparently stems from covering over a spring fed pond in the 1930's, but from what I can see they are having a good go. As a local however I do want to see a safe cross from the Airport to Coombes Road for pedestrians and cyclists. Sensible concessions like this tend to get lost in the noise from the not over my dead body raging nimbies.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The agenda is quite amusing.

http://www.lancingparishcouncil.gov.uk/files/meetings/Agenda 01-02-17.pdf

Discussion include the following

• How successful was a cinema evening
  • Can Gerry Cottles Circus get a discount on pitch fees
  • Update about unveiling a plaque
  • Update on the garden competition
  • Update on air raid shelter

Oh - and do a bunch of laymen know more about drainage issues than experts. Seems like they do, apparently.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
An air raid shelter :laugh: is that to protect them from Trump or the Muslims. Will it have capacity for 15 x 60 year old men only.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here