Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New LB from Premier League Club - Joe Bennett Signs

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
True, but look what happened with Ward. If we don't get them permanently, they leave at the end of the season. I understand when it's a bridge type situation when we have a unique opportunity to get a player who we can't normally afford, but surely we could get Bennett permanently. It's clear Villa don't want him.

We may not want him permanently.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
I thought he [layed well against us in the first season at the AMEX when Boro won 1-0. Happy to reserve judgement as in all cases until seeing him play a few games. I treust our scouting system. Now get us a couple of strikers.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Villa fan here and I thought I'd offer my tuppenceworth,

Firstly, I won't try and embellish the fact that it hasn't worked out for him with us and his is likely the beginning of the end of his Villa career especially given the arrival of Aly Cissokho. His first season was poor, he didn't settle from the off and always seemed overawed by the pressure of being thrown into a Premier League side. His biggest problem in my opinion is his mental strength. He often came across as jittery and unconfident in his perfomances. This wasn't helped at all by the fans quickly turning on him, he along with Bannan were specifically singled out and I don't think he's ever recovered.

He missed a lot of last season due to injury, so never got the run he needed to stake a claim. Bertrand was then loaned in January which killed off his chances really. As a player I've seem glimpses to believe that he isn't as bad as some of our fans make out though. He is competent technically and can whip in a mean ball when he gets forward. I wouldn't say he is an instrinsically bad defender either. As I eluded to already, when he is low on confidence, he can become very rash and clumsy in his play. It should be noted that Paul Lambert is a poor defensive coach and his system leaves the full-backs heavily exposed also. One thing he could improve on is his strength, a bit powderpuff at times.

Anyway, this move is ideal for him and I hope he can find his way. He really needs a run of games and he couldn't have gone to a better club. Good luck to you guys also, I like what Brighton have been doing over the last few years, it'd be nice to see you continue your progression.

Thanks for the words. Reckon this is a good signing for us. We now have competition in this key position.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Most football fans haven't got a clue, especially the ones on twitter!

I make it 25 tweets with every single one saying how terrible he is. As I say I won't judge from that but it's often some sort of sign. Hopefully he makes a fresh start here and does well at champs level. He has been playing prem after all...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is it you that's been saying that Chicksen is shite???? (If not, I apologise!)

You are wrong about him, hope you are about Bennet :wink:

Don't think I said shite but yes I don't rate Chicksen at all & one good performance won't change my mind I'm afraid. If you think Chicksen is good enough for the Championship (promotion pushing team) than we would both call black different colours I'm afraid! If Chicksen looked confident in his own ability I may feel a little more comfortable with him out there but he's nowhere nr the class of Ward & Bridge and therefore not good enough if we re serious about maintaining a top half team. IMO of course! Don't see how anyone can argue he is good enough though...

Fwiw I wasn't there Tues so missed his good performance so I accept I'm prob not as qualified to judge as others. But I've seen him several times & barely seen him complete a forward pass. I too hope I'm wrong about Be nett but if you'd seen the 25 or so tweets I have you'd prob be sceptical!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting point the Villa fan made about Lambert being a poor defensive coach. I tend to agree, Ron Vlaar being a case in point - looks ordinary for Villa but world class for Holland.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
View attachment 57619

image.jpg

Just to show you a small example of what I'm banging on about fwiw

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Villa fan here and I thought I'd offer my tuppenceworth,

Firstly, I won't try and embellish the fact that it hasn't worked out for him with us and his is likely the beginning of the end of his Villa career especially given the arrival of Aly Cissokho. His first season was poor, he didn't settle from the off and always seemed overawed by the pressure of being thrown into a Premier League side. His biggest problem in my opinion is his mental strength. He often came across as jittery and unconfident in his perfomances. This wasn't helped at all by the fans quickly turning on him, he along with Bannan were specifically singled out and I don't think he's ever recovered.

He missed a lot of last season due to injury, so never got the run he needed to stake a claim. Bertrand was then loaned in January which killed off his chances really. As a player I've seem glimpses to believe that he isn't as bad as some of our fans make out though. He is competent technically and can whip in a mean ball when he gets forward. I wouldn't say he is an instrinsically bad defender either. As I eluded to already, when he is low on confidence, he can become very rash and clumsy in his play. It should be noted that Paul Lambert is a poor defensive coach and his system leaves the full-backs heavily exposed also. One thing he could improve on is his strength, a bit powderpuff at times.

Anyway, this move is ideal for him and I hope he can find his way. He really needs a run of games and he couldn't have gone to a better club. Good luck to you guys also, I like what Brighton have been doing over the last few years, it'd be nice to see you continue your progression.

Thanks for taking the time to give us some background on Bennett. Hopefully he'll be as successful as our last two left back loans.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sure I read somewhere that he got Boro's POTS in the season they sold him?

Maybe mate - someone may be able to confirm?

Like I say really not trying to be negative but this just reminds me of Obika big time!

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Maybe mate - someone may be able to confirm?

Like I say really not trying to be negative but this just reminds me of Obika big time!

Found it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19416943

"The Rochdale-born player, who graduated through Middlesbrough's youth academy, started 84 games for the Teeside club and won their 2010-11 player of the year award.
He made 41 appearances in the Championship for Tony Mowbray's men last season and was named the North East Football Writers' Association's young player of the year."

So boro fans saying that he's shit may be a bit bitter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here