Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New LB from Premier League Club - Joe Bennett Signs

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Lots of negativity towards Joe on twitter, but the same was said about Bridge ("he's past his best" "he's lazy" etc etc) and Ward ("responsible for two relegations") but they turned out alright and gave us 2 brilliant seasons at left back. I will reserve judgement until ive seen our new signing play, but he must have been doing something right in the Championship to warrant a £2.75m transfer from Boro to Aston Villa 2 years ago.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Championship is a big step down from the Premier League, especially for full backs. Quality of forwards is much much better in the Premier. An OK full back in the Premier League can be absolute quality in the Championship :thumbsup:

Absolutely. I'm pretty optimistic for Bennett :)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
So a significant amount of money now to be spent on the final piece of the jigsaw..... A striker !!

Hope so although 2 would be better, I'm wondering if we might be resurrecting our interest in Baldock seeing as Bristol City have had a bid accepted for Kieran Agard?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Plenty of people said Ward and Bridge were crap when they first signed and he'll playing for us in the Championship not the Premier League, so he won't be coming up against players with ridiculous pace every match.

I could post 8 or so tweets from boro saying he's 'worst player I've seen' etc. Usually there's something in it. But of course I'll be judging him in the stripes - just worrying to read these tweets...

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Have we not learned from Holla and Teixeira? There was a lot of negativity on here (from some, not all) about them when they signed. Not being good enough etc etc...yet last night they were the best 2 players on the pitch. Wait until we see Bennett play before judging him!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another loaner is good news for Chicksen.

He can make steady progress and still know the starting spot is obtainable.

danb88

Aug 15, 2014
Dont think villa fans know what supporting your player means .

Does anyone know where i can get pics of him in a brighton shirt apart from the one which is on the club website ??

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Welcome to BHA Bennett. Ooh this is getting exciting now.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Looking on one of the Villa Forums (Villa Talk) many seem to feel that JB would make a better wing back(good) than a full back as his defending isn't great (not so good). Some say he would make a better midfielder (He could team up with Bruno). He is a confidence player, so he may have problems when some of our fans get on his back.

However, I am optimistic about this signing. He is good competition for Chicksen who has improved as the season has progressed. I wonder who will start on Saturday?

I hope we get the lad from Cork as well.

We just need the elusive striker (possibly two).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I could post 8 or so tweets from boro saying he's 'worst player I've seen' etc. Usually there's something in it. But of course I'll be judging him in the stripes - just worrying to read these tweets...

Is it you that's been saying that Chicksen is shite???? (If not, I apologise!)

You are wrong about him, hope you are about Bennet :wink:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nathan Jones was a left-wing back in the day, and Hyypia was one of the finest defenders in the Prem, so hopefully their knowledge will rub off on Bennett and make him a better player.

Alliv

Aug 20, 2014
Villa fan here and I thought I'd offer my tuppenceworth,

Firstly, I won't try and embellish the fact that it hasn't worked out for him with us and his is likely the beginning of the end of his Villa career especially given the arrival of Aly Cissokho. His first season was poor, he didn't settle from the off and always seemed overawed by the pressure of being thrown into a Premier League side. His biggest problem in my opinion is his mental strength. He often came across as jittery and unconfident in his perfomances. This wasn't helped at all by the fans quickly turning on him, he along with Bannan were specifically singled out and I don't think he's ever recovered.

He missed a lot of last season due to injury, so never got the run he needed to stake a claim. Bertrand was then loaned in January which killed off his chances really. As a player I've seem glimpses to believe that he isn't as bad as some of our fans make out though. He is competent technically and can whip in a mean ball when he gets forward. I wouldn't say he is an instrinsically bad defender either. As I eluded to already, when he is low on confidence, he can become very rash and clumsy in his play. It should be noted that Paul Lambert is a poor defensive coach and his system leaves the full-backs heavily exposed also. One thing he could improve on is his strength, a bit powderpuff at times.

Anyway, this move is ideal for him and I hope he can find his way. He really needs a run of games and he couldn't have gone to a better club. Good luck to you guys also, I like what Brighton have been doing over the last few years, it'd be nice to see you continue your progression.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here