Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Goalkeeping Coach PLEASE!

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
It was a good punch out. Shame that it fell to arguably the best finisher on the pitch and that no one closed it down when it did but that's football.

if you are punching you should punch through the ball not flap it back to the edge of the box, great finish yes but it was put on a plate for him.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
thats not really a legitimate argument for why brezovans punch was so awful. brezovan has done this at least 3/5 times in recent weeks and needs to try and catch the ball. Hes a giant ffs!!

No but u could try blaming tht person as well as Brez...I feel a bandwagon coming on

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Expecting Brez to catch the cross is harsh. He was going over the top of players to get to the ball and it would have been very difficult to catch it. He was just concentrating on making contact. Admittedly it could have gone further or towards the touchline but he was a tad unlucky that it dropped straight to their player who proceeded to execute a very tidy finish into the top corner. Dont really blame him that much.

We have to realise that keepers at this level will make mistakes. If they didn't they would be playing in the prem. You just have to hope that they dont make many mistakes. On the whole i'm not too unhappy with our GK situation but believe that if we are to mount a serious challenge next season (assuming we dont go up this season of course) then GK is one position that we can improve.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Expecting Brez to catch the cross is harsh. He was going over the top of players to get to the ball and it would have been very difficult to catch it. He was just concentrating on making contact. Admittedly it could have gone further or towards the touchline but he was a tad unlucky that it dropped straight to their player who proceeded to execute a very tidy finish into the top corner. Dont really blame him that much.

We have to realise that keepers at this level will make mistakes. If they didn't they would be playing in the prem. You just have to hope that they dont make many mistakes. On the whole i'm not too unhappy with our GK situation but believe that if we are to mount a serious challenge next season (assuming we dont go up this season of course) then GK is one position that we can improve.

Nicely put

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Ok it was a mistake but not the worst I have seen 8 times out of 10 the ball would have been blocked or the striker would have missed from that position. If it had been a header out from a defender he would not have got this much stick. Thought brez had a good game - even the best keepers usually have one wobbly moment in a game - today we were unlucky to get punished for it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Brezovan should have caught the ball or at least attempted to rather than punch it straight down the middle of the field. At 6ft 5in he has a distinct advantage over most and had he spilled the ball he would have probably got a free kick for a foul on him. from that joke of a ref.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am and have never been critical of Brezovan on here, but I think he was to blame for the second goal. He just did not punch it far enough away from the danger area. Whereas goalkeepers who punch it successfully like Reina at Liverpool actually get two fists to the ball, Brezovan seems to do a volleyball waft at the ball and doesn't get as much distance on it which is what happened with the second goal as when the ball fell to Whittingham, Brezovan had no chance where he was after his punch

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it again, but at the time I thought he had done what he could under the pressure he was under. It's unusual not to have any form of defence on the edge of the area. It was a badly defended corner, very unlike us. Even if Brez was at fault for the goal, I think he did enough overall to excuse it. I'm not his biggest fan, and never will be, but I have been impressed by his recovery from the Liverpool debacle.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
It was a good punch out. Shame that it fell to arguably the best finisher on the pitch and that no one closed it down when it did but that's football.

Absolutely spot on- Brez did nothing wrong last night. What Gus will be pissed off with, as was i, was that no one picked up Whittingham on the edge of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of Greyskull

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
No but u could try blaming tht person as well as Brez...I feel a bandwagon coming on

I could but the subject is Brezovans punching ability. Dont want to go off topic. Brezovans days are numbered, we all know that but some tend to wear there RTS and bury their heads in the sand.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
No clearance, by any defender, should go and end up on the edge of our penalty area circle it's looking for the finish we saw last night. This is not the 1st or 2nd time this has happened.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I didn't think it looked easily catchable - he would have had to reach over a couple of heads which would have made it tricky - so he elected to punch and it seemed to dip (or be lower then he expected) so it ended up being a punch down rather than up. Stuff like that just happens.

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
Anyone got John Keeley's phone number? Think Poyet needs it. It could well be the difference between us making the playoffs or not. Seriously. Doing nothing is not an option.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As a (mediocre) keeper myself, my view at the time was that he was right to punch that cross - he couldn't get to it to attempt a catch. It wasn't a very GOOD punch though, to be fair.

I coach the keeper at my lad's team, and I teach that you catch what you can take cleanly, and clear your lines when you can't. I don't advise punching crosses though, as its too great a risk of missing it altogether / slicing it. Instead, I'll ways teach to use the direction and pace of the original cross to palm it further away in the direction it was already going. You only need to get a palm on it to help it all the way out for a throw, and even the tiniest deflection is enough to thwart a forward who was coming in right behind you.

Last edited:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
As a 'Keeper in what I would say is a decent standard league, catching the ball isn't as easy as some people make it out to be!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As a 'Keeper in what I would say is a decent standard league, catching the ball isn't as easy as some people make it out to be!

Agreed. Its very easy to mess up a catch, and generally results in presenting a far simpler chance than a mis-timed punch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here