Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Goalkeeping Coach PLEASE!

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
Thoroughly enjoyed our performance this evening. However...Ankergren cannot punch for toffee (eg. Rochdale last season etc); Brezovan cannot punch properly either (eg.tonight etc). We concede unnecessary goals because of this.

Therefore...new goal keeping coach required. Wonder what John Keeley is up to these days? That would be sweet! SEAGULLS!

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
totally agree that something needs to change, i never feel confident whenever the ball is near brez, even when the ball is just being played back. Surely it's worth taking a look at gonzalez! Why is there a need to punch when you have a 6ft 6goalkeeper that has an easy catch like he did tonight?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Brezovan not to blame for either goal tonight.

I tell you what though, Brezovan with his feet (both of them)... The change is incredible. Our coaches deserve a LOT of respect for how competant he has become with the ball at his feet. It looks easy, but he's had to really work hard to become so comfortable on the ball.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I thought Brez has improved a bit of late but seems at least once a game has a punch when a catch looks possible. I don't know how highly regarded our existing coach Tony Godden is? I recall him as a decent keeper back in the day.

Seeing Godden with Brez and Ankers doing their drills in the pre-match warm-ups gives the impression that he looks a bit like the bloke from the pub, he doesn't seem very dynamic but then it is about loosening / warm up / confidence building rather than a full on training session. So it's hard to get a definitive feel for his coaching style on the training ground, but I do wonder what emphasis is placed on improving their confidence in catching crosses.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
It was a good punch out. Shame that it fell to arguably the best finisher on the pitch and that no one closed it down when it did but that's football.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed our performance this evening. However...Ankergren cannot punch for toffee (eg. Rochdale last season etc); Brezovan cannot punch properly either (eg.tonight etc). We concede unnecessary goals because of this.

Therefore...new goal keeping coach required. Wonder what John Keeley is up to these days? That would be sweet! SEAGULLS!

No need to get a new keeping coach as they all teach the same way these days. Punching is the preferred way of dealing with crosses, even if its easy for a 6ft 7 giant just to catch it.

Hes more commanding than ankergren but still a piss poor keeper. Doesnt say much for casper does it!

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

I am and have never been critical of Brezovan on here, but I think he was to blame for the second goal. He just did not punch it far enough away from the danger area. Whereas goalkeepers who punch it successfully like Reina at Liverpool actually get two fists to the ball, Brezovan seems to do a volleyball waft at the ball and doesn't get as much distance on it which is what happened with the second goal as when the ball fell to Whittingham, Brezovan had no chance where he was after his punch

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Brez was coming out and catching a lot of balls if not most when he regained the number 1 shirt and just lately he has reverted back to punching most balls. It takes so much pressure off when you have a keeper come and claim a ball by catching it.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It was a good punch out. Shame that it fell to arguably the best finisher on the pitch and that no one closed it down when it did but that's football.

f*** me, ive heard it all now.

Was a shocking punch. your supposed to clear your lines not hand it to your opponent who is sitting on the edge of the box 18 yards out.

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove

I tell you what though, Brezovan with his feet (both of them)... The change is incredible. Our coaches deserve a LOT of respect for how competant he has become with the ball at his feet. It looks easy, but he's had to really work hard to become so comfortable on the ball.
Er, he punched the ball to the feet of a Cardiff player standing on the edge of the box for the second goal! I'd shoulder him some blame for that (or is that what the goalkeeping manual suggests should happen?!)

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I agree - he did not punch it far enough so he has to be culpable.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lets be honest we would be very very surprised if either Casper or Brez are first choice next season.

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011

agree that he wasn't to blame directly but it is frustrating when you feel a catch is on but you get a poor punch instead. He has got better no doubt but everything a goalkeeper does is highlighted so the hard work can be undone in an instant.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
f*** me, ive heard it all now.

Was a shocking punch. your supposed to clear your lines not hand it to your opponent who is sitting on the edge of the box 18 yards out.

Why is there no one marking him or there to close it down though?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Why is there no one marking him or there to close it down though?

thats not really a legitimate argument for why brezovans punch was so awful. brezovan has done this at least 3/5 times in recent weeks and needs to try and catch the ball. Hes a giant ffs!!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Stop it with all this talking sense. Completely agree though. He had to punch it, the punch cleared the area, no one close the player down, great shot and top corner goal. But hey, let everyone have their moan!!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Stop it with all this talking sense. Completely agree though. He had to punch it, the punch cleared the area, no one close the player down, great shot and top corner goal. But hey, let everyone have their moan!!

Were not moaning - were blaming!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here