Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New deals for Calderon and Casper; CMS + others released

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I must admit that I am surprised that CMS has been released I thought the least would be a 2 yr contract then try to sell him in January to get somd money back. Casper must be on low wages but then people on here get carried away with wages offered. In the paper Waddington from Blackpool has been offered £150 a week by them.

If we signed him on a 2 year deal, it would be at a wage that CMS would have to agree to. And there would be no guarantee of any sort of return. Let's use some numbers to illustrate the point. Assuming he's earning £15k a week basic now, it's perhaps fair to say he's not going to accept a deal for any less than £9k a week now. That means we'd have to pay six months at £9k a week (£234k) and we might recoup, say, £500k in January when we try to sell him (a £200k profit). Or we might not, and we could be lumbered with a labrador for 18 more months at £9k a week, tying up a valuable portion of the playing budget.

It isn't the 1980s any more. Clubs can't just hold a player's registration and pay what they want.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Then dump the Kemys earlier but don't reward the CMS's for effort without results. It gets you to the same place in the tables and doesn't help the footballer either.
He's not being rewarded, he's being released, which I don't think anyone can really be surprised by (or complain about).

I'll still applaud him for the effort put in whilst wearing the stripes. Again, it's not a reward, more of an acknowledgement that whilst it didn't really work out here he's someone that tried to make it happen.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I must admit that I am surprised that CMS has been released I thought the least would be a 2 yr contract then try to sell him in January to get somd money back.

That really wouldn't make much sense. A 2 yr contract at say £10k a week would meaning we are comiiting £1m in wages (and that is before NIC etc) He may het injured again leaving is stuck with the contract. If he perfoms like he has done this saeason, no one else will want to pay a fee and match those wages.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I must admit that I am surprised that CMS has been released I thought the least would be a 2 yr contract then try to sell him in January to get somd money back.

Are you serious ??

Why on EARTH would we commit to another 2 years of covering CMS's (not inconsiderable) wage on the offchance of getting a few quid back for him in January ? Whilst at a stroke drastically affecting Hughtons summer budget for bringing in someone who can actually, y'know, score ?

That would be completely fruit loop.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
From the CH press conference article:

New Contracts: “You have to make decisions for the future and anticipate where you can strengthen. It is pretty much part and parcel of the game. For those that receive new contracts, it’s because we feel that it’s in the best interests of the club and because they’ve deserved it. For the ones that don’t, it gives them an opportunity to be somewhere where they can play regular football.

“In Casper’s [Ankergren] situation, he in effect has been our third-choice goalkeeper here and that can be quite a specific role.That role tends to be making sure you’re a good back up goalkeeper and also you’re a very good training keeper.

“There will be lots of sessions on the training pitch that your first choice goalkeepers will step out, so it’s an important role in regards to a few responsibilities around that. He has done that very well and he’s also a very good personality to have in the squad. He’s also a goalkeeper that is looking to do his coaching badges and has embarked on that already.

“What comes with Calde [Inigo Calderon] is a package. He is very much a team player and is very popular at the club. That’s certainly not a good enough reason to want to retain his services. The reason why we are retaining his services, is because of the amount of football that he’s played – he has a versatility in his game which shows how valuable he is to this squad.”
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...on-v-watford-2420171.aspx#MtDKxexRVi5eW56V.99

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Good decisions all round. Hope the contracts offered to Calde and Casper are good enough for them to want to sign - wouldn't want to lose them by trying to do things on the cheap.

But as bit part players they have to be cheap. No point in offering good salaries to players who are unlikely to be regulars :shrug:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
And from the Calde article:

Inigo Calderon has expressed his delight at being told he is to be offered a new contract with Brighton & Hove Albion.

The 33-year-old is Albion's longest serving player and since signing back in in January 2010, he has notched up over 200 appearances in the blue-and-white stripes.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "I want to stay here because I've got a good relationship with everyone at the club. I'm really happy; it's been a really good week for me having won the Player of the Season award on Monday.

"I am very proud, because I have had to earn a new contract each year, so it shows that I must be doing something well and I would like to thank the club for offering this to me.

"I always say I'd like to finish my career at Brighton as I've been here for five years and I enjoy living here a lot. I don't have a bad word to say about the city or the fans, and I am so grateful to them because they have always been with me since the very start. I was surprised then and I am still surprised now, because I have never considered myself to be a great player.

"I don't mind where I play as long as I am on the pitch; whether that's at right-back, left-back or in midfield. It gives me a lot more options as I can play in different positions. I know I'm not the first option to start, but I've played 39 games this season with two games left."
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-albion-deal-2420162.aspx#flKEvFG06SGGSutO.99

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But as bit part players they have to be cheap. No point in offering good salaries to players who are unlikely to be regulars :shrug:
No point in offering them something so unrealistically low that they just say, 'Stuff that - I'll get far more in League 2 or the Conference". The salaries have got to be good enough for them to agree to; not huge, I grant you, but sensible.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I don't think that CMS (when he wasn't injured) ever got the support he needed to carry on his goal scoring exploits at Peterborough. That said, however, I'll never forget a goal line clearance (against Doncaster I think) at the Amex or that superb cross that Leo Ulloa nodded in against Forest in the play offs last season. Given different managers then things might have been very different for him....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't think that CMS (when he wasn't injured) ever got the support he needed to carry on his goal scoring exploits at Peterborough. That said, however, I'll never forget a goal line clearance (against Doncaster I think) at the Amex or that superb cross that Leo Ulloa nodded in against Forest in the play offs last season. Given different managers then things might have been very different for him....

That and better control.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Inigo Calderon has expressed his delight at being told he is to be offered a new contract with Brighton & Hove Albion.

The 33-year-old is Albion's longest serving player and since signing back in in January 2010, he has notched up over 200 appearances in the blue-and-white stripes.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "I want to stay here because I've got a good relationship with everyone at the club. I'm really happy; it's been a really good week for me having won the Player of the Season award on Monday.

"I am very proud, because I have had to earn a new contract each year, so it shows that I must be doing something well and I would like to thank the club for offering this to me.

"I always say I'd like to finish my career at Brighton as I've been here for five years and I enjoy living here a lot. I don't have a bad word to say about the city or the fans, and I am so grateful to them because they have always been with me since the very start. I was surprised then and I am still surprised now, because I have never considered myself to be a great player.

"I don't mind where I play as long as I am on the pitch; whether that's at right-back, left-back or in midfield. It gives me a lot more options as I can play in different positions. I know I'm not the first option to start, but I've played 39 games this season with two games left."
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-albion-deal-2420162.aspx#flKEvFG06SGGSutO.99

Where the f*ck is his banner for the legends row!
He is the living definition of a club legend!

Even his humility is heart warming. The only shame is there is no mention of him starting his badges as there is in Ank's article.

Oct 25, 2003
I must admit that I am surprised that CMS has been released I thought the least would be a 2 yr contract then try to sell him in January to get somd money back. Casper must be on low wages but then people on here get carried away with wages offered. In the paper Waddington from Blackpool has been offered £150 a week by them.

possibly your maddest post ever

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Where the f*ck is his banner for the legends row!
He is the living definition of a club legend!

Even his humility is heart warming. The only shame is there is no mention of him starting his badges as there is in Ank's article.

I think he's already started his coaching badges... But I'm not completely sure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

What a bloody great bloke.

(I'm aware this is not new information)

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Just dug out the highlights from Burnley 1-3 Brighton 1/09/2012, CMS v Charlie Austin, no contest that day two absolute world class goals. Wish he'd lived up to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here