Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] new away fan ID/ticketing system

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It is illegal for an unauthorised person to sell or dispose of a football ticket to another person.

My guess would be that, perhaps, the club is able to bestow authorised person-ship to 1901ers which enables them to be able to legally pass on the ticket without having to go via the club.

If that was taken literally to the nth degree, it would be illegal for a parent to buy a ticket for a child. Let alone when I ask my friend Joe to get one while he;s at the ticket office and give him the money later.

I think general passing on of tickets at face value that you have bought for someone else, isn't illegal, and that would cover the 1901 people. Of course, it would also cover anyone else who buys a ticket on behalf of a third party at face value, and so then the club can only fall back on the "against club rules" argument because it's surely not illegal.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Confident. I’ve travelled three or four times to away games - when tickets hadn’t arrived/club issued duplicates and collected them with little fuss from the away ticket office.

Agree with this. The only time I can think of where it's happened to us was my mate couldn't find his ticket for Fulham on the morning of the game (lots of piss taking for that of course, what a DOOFUS) and he called up the Brighton ticket office and they arranged a replacement to be collected at Fulham.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
A system in which a fan who wants to pass on a ticket can do so by entering in the ticket number on the website and assigning it to another fan (with the right number of points obvs) seems like a relatively straight forward option rather than this mess. The original ticket holder can pass on the physical ticket and the club knows who the new owner is with any points being passed onto the new owner. Much like you do know with the season ticket 'sharing'

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Good, and not before time. The people moaning will be the ones benefitting at the moment from the extra loyalty points or from access to tickets they don’t actually qualify for. The beneficiaries of these new measures will be the silent majority currently losing out to these scams.

Wow. Thats a really arrogant, sweeping generalisation. Well done. :facepalm:

I'm 100% against it and I have over 300 (legitimately) earned points I've gained through having a season ticket for a few years and going to away games. I don't harvest points but if in the future I'm sick or whatever I'd like the option to be able to not waste my ticket and pass it on to someone else without fear of being punished. If its as big a problem as the club suggests its up to them to come up with a solution which facilitates the passing on of tickets in a safe and legal way, then they can start talking about punishments.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wow. Thats a really arrogant, sweeping generalisation. Well done. :facepalm:

I'm 100% against it and I have over 300 (legitimately) earned points I've gained through having a season ticket for a few years and going to away games. I don't harvest points but if in the future I'm sick or whatever I'd like the option to be able to not waste my ticket and pass it on to someone else without fear of being punished. If its as big a problem as the club suggests its up to them to come up with a solution which facilitates the passing on of tickets in a safe and legal way, then they can start talking about punishments.

So you want to decide who gets your ticket if you can’t go and I’m the arrogant one. Ok mate. The fact is loyalty points don’t give you that right. There’s a queue and if you can’t make it then your mates get in line just like everyone else.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I think general passing on of tickets at face value that you have bought for someone else, isn't illegal, and that would cover the 1901 people. Of course, it would also cover anyone else who buys a ticket on behalf of a third party at face value, and so then the club can only fall back on the "against club rules" argument because it's surely not illegal.

You keep mentioning "face value" but it's immaterial - it's illegal to pass on a ticket for free without the club's knowledge/consent.

But, yes, your main point stands. There are many holes in the laws/rules - eg sometimes allowing STHers to buy four tickets, and the club not knowing who they're going to.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A system in which a fan who wants to pass on a ticket can do so by entering in the ticket number on the website and assigning it to another fan (with the right number of points obvs) seems like a relatively straight forward option rather than this mess. The original ticket holder can pass on the physical ticket and the club knows who the new owner is with any points being passed onto the new owner. Much like you do know with the season ticket 'sharing'

Problem is, that wouldn't stop someone in tier 1 buying and then passing on even if they had no intention of going.

Maybe it should be capped to two or three times a season or something. Circumstances do change, after all.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It is illegal for an unauthorised person to sell or dispose of a football ticket to another person.

My guess would be that, perhaps, the club is able to bestow authorised person-ship to 1901ers which enables them to be able to legally pass on the ticket without having to go vi a the club.

Good luck to 1901 members They pay a premium which of course should come with perks.
West Ham tried to bring in a similar system to ours and there was big protest and this was reversed. I know this is true as know a local who has for years had 2 STs and goes with different people. I am lucky he always gives me ticket for Brighton game. I know many disagree but it a shame I cant reciprocate

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
God I miss the ye olde days of ask a few mates night before or day of the game if they were interested in going, meet, rock up, pay on the gate, stand where you like. Modern over paid superstars and progress eh?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I understand thats a perk, no problem, but why are we quoted its illegal and legislature that you can't exchange tickets. It clearly is just club policy and I wish they would say as such. It does also irritate me about your second point on empty seats, in WSU that seats are empty but allegedly 'sold out'. In my email correspondence with the club, they don't seem bothered on the issue, I have two seats next to me that are empty every game, but are season ticket seats. It is strange that the club are happy they go empty every week.

It’s illegal as the clubs terms and conditions disallow it. They could easily change the terms and conditions to allow it so it’s legal. Which is how season ticket sharing and the ticket exchange came about; the club changed the t&cs which means it’s not illegal any more.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
It’s illegal as the clubs terms and conditions disallow it. They could easily change the terms and conditions to allow it so it’s legal. Which is how season ticket sharing and the ticket exchange came about; the club changed the t&cs which means it’s not illegal any more.

All this "illegal" and changing the rules to make"illegal" " legal" just comes over like dodgy " fines " from shyster car park scammers..

You don't get much for £2.8 million pounds a year these days.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Being in contravention of T&C isn't 'illegal'.....

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
50 point loyalty reduction
10 home games confiscated
No more away games!

Naughty! Naughty! Naughty!

Have I gone back to school?

Write out 100 times:

‘I will not give my away ticket away, not even when I’m ill or unable to travel’

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
All this "illegal" and changing the rules to make"illegal" " legal" just comes over like dodgy " fines " from shyster car park scammers..

You don't get much for £2.8 million pounds a year these days.

That’s below the belt. BHA is a private club owned by Tony Bloom, who built us a ground. To use the language you are using is pretty ungrateful and I don’t think is representative of the feelings of our fan base. Perhaps it would be better to express your views in more sober and civilized fashion. Although I do remember some accusations about you being Palace so perhaps you shouldn’t be on this thread at all.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015

My guess would be that, perhaps, the club is able to bestow authorised person-ship to 1901ers which enables them to be able to legally pass on the ticket without having to go via the club.

1901ers buy a seat license alongside their ST which presumably allows the legal transfer of home tickets. Not sure how that extends to away tickets.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
That’s below the belt. BHA is a private club owned by Tony Bloom, who built us a ground. To use the language you are using is pretty ungrateful and I don’t think is representative of the feelings of our fan base. Perhaps it would be better to express your views in more sober and civilized fashion. Although I do remember some accusations about you being Palace so perhaps you shouldn’t be on this thread at all.

I suggest you read the thread and the points I addressed, as for your suggestion that I am not a Brighton fan, if you feel the Scandinavian fan is a died in the wool Brighton fan it just shows how newbie fans are regaled on here

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Your comment about illegality of passing tickets sounds just like a comment from PB. Fact is it with permission from club it is not illegal

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Your comment about illegality of passing tickets sounds just like a comment from PB. Fact is it with permission from club it is not illegal

I suggested above that we should move away from technical terms like "illegal " and "legal" when talking about allowing/banning transferring tickets.

BHAFC are not able to alter law, all they can do is adjust terms and conditions.

Shyster car park spiv tactics are not a good look for a football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here