Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Never mind the team, where did the fans' spirit go?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Remember the dark old days? The board that sold the ground, the threat to our league status, the ultimate threat to our very existence? Can you remember the exile in Gillingham, the average gate of about 3,000, the woeful standard of football? Remember when our greatest hope was that we would one day play again in Brighton?

If you can remember all of that, then you'll definitely recall what made Brighton fans FAMOUS and WELL-RESPECTED across the country. It was our spirit, our desire to unite fans against the enemies of football who infiltrated the boardrooms of our clubs and sought to destroy from within.

We had a good reputation as fans and for a long time, despite the almost insurmountable problems we faced, I was proud to be a Brighton fan. I thought we had character.

And look at us now. Falmer is within our grasp and we're playing in the second tier of English football. The future hasn't looked sunnier for a very long time. BUT we've lost a lot of games recently, we might go down, that surely wouldn't seriously affect us fans of such indomitable spirit though, would it?

Well, take a look at this board, because it has affected us. The dominating force on here are either those that dislike the manager, or want him out, those that criticise the chariman or suggest that we are being mislead by the club. What a shower of shit we are as fans. What help are we meant to be to the team?

There are also those on here who constantly rumourmonger about the spirit of the players, depsite knowing nothing of what they think. So let's forget about the team for a moment, where did all our spirit go? Should I be PROUD to be a Brighton fan? Because reading NSC, I don't feel especially proud.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe we should all just bite the bullet and admit that due to lack of investment in a credible strike force we're the worst team in this division, and worse than at least half the teams in the next division down. Might make relegation a bit easier to accept.

We'll have an absolutely CRACKING team a couple of seasons down the line if the club manage to keep the youth team together. But not this season. Not next season either. And only by the skin of our teeth last season - and last season's team was MUCH stronger.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
DJ Leon said:
Remember the dark old days? The board that sold the ground, the threat to our league status, the ultimate threat to our very existence? Can you remember the exile in Gillingham, the average gate of about 3,000, the woeful standard of football? Remember when our greatest hope was that we would one day play again in Brighton?

If you can remember all of that, then you'll definitely recall what made Brighton fans FAMOUS and WELL-RESPECTED across the country. It was our spirit, our desire to unite fans against the enemies of football who infiltrated the boardrooms of our clubs and sought to destroy from within.

We had a good reputation as fans and for a long time, despite the almost insurmountable problems we faced, I was proud to be a Brighton fan. I thought we had character.

And look at us now. Falmer is within our grasp and we're playing in the second tier of English football. The future hasn't looked sunnier for a very long time. BUT we've lost a lot of games recently, we might go down, that surely wouldn't seriously affect us fans of such indomitable spirit though, would it?

Well, take a look at this board, because it has affected us. The dominating force on here are either those that dislike the manager, or want him out, those that criticise the chariman or suggest that we are being mislead by the club. What a shower of shit we are as fans. What help are we meant to be to the team?

There are also those on here who constantly rumourmonger about the spirit of the players, depsite knowing nothing of what they think. So let's forget about the team for a moment, where did all our spirit go? Should I be PROUD to be a Brighton fan? Because reading NSC, I don't feel especially proud.
Hear, hear! Sincerely meant - and also to forestall anyone who thought it was spelt "Here, here!" [Has no-one on NSC had a proper education?]

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Re: Re: Never mind the team, where did the fans' spirit go?

Gilliver's Travels said:
Hear, hear! Sincerely meant - and also to forestall anyone who thought it was spelt "Here, here!" [Has no-one on NSC had a proper education?]

I think you'll find most of us had a comprehensive education, with all the advantages that that brings.

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
I think the fans have all but given up - there wasn't much to cheer about today - we were terrible and it just proved we are the worst team in the division. No wonder we were quiet.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I think it's more a feeling of disbelief that we are performing like this, and a refusal to accept what is becoming inevitable as each week passes. It's bad enough that we get relegated, but let's face it, we have been here before, and we will bounce back. If we can't believe that, then there is no point in following the Seagulls. I think it is too late to change anything, and this is now dawning on some of the fans. Once we admit to ourselves that this season has been a bad one for lots of reasons (except beating Palace!), then the morale will come back, we will accept our fate, and we will look forward to League 1 and a return to winning ways.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I completely agree DJ Leon - NSC is reflective of what's going on fan-wise at the club. We seem to have forgotten that once things were REALLY bad - but did we all fall apart then? Course not.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
I completely agree DJ Leon - NSC is reflective of what's going on fan-wise at the club. We seem to have forgotten that once things were REALLY bad - but did we all fall apart then? Course not.

Two Championships and a Play off final win have made some people forget where we were and where we're at now.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
the full harris said:
All things considered, we did our best. Lots of singing where I was.
so do surely the players must be lifted when they come out before the game and at half time to be meet be the roar they were meet with? we are only human and went quiet towards the end but look at what we were watching

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sorry but as the 2nd half went on I just was lifeless.

It was an accident waiting to happen and it did.

Heartbreaker.

1066gull

I dunno why, but even just listening to it on the radio felt like a disaster was about to happen and once it happened, there was no going back.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
just because we were crap a few years ago doesn't mean we have to accept slightly less crap now!

When we moved back to Withdean we were promised money to invest in players> We're still being promised the same yet no-one wants to join us.

I for one am finding it very hard to "keep the faith" - keep the faith in what? Certainly not our unimaginative management team.

As for the future being bright, let's not get carried awy by the success of our U18s - believe me as individuals they're not that good - just a good hardworking, fighting team.

And sorry, NSC doen't capture the mood of the fans - not even the teenage element.

DJ Leon said:

Well said that man.

sir danny cullip said:
I think we were cheering louder than they were after they scored.

Yeah, that was good, particularly given the nature of the goal. But real life generally is better than NSC, it just doesn't seem that way when we make thousands of posts on here :jester:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I agree DJ Leon.
People complain about lack of investment in the team etc etc. Look at Sheff Wed and Millwall who get vastly superior gates to us and own their own ground. They have more money to spend than us but cannot buy a strike force who can score regularly.

I don't like the way things are at the moment. I hate losing as much as anybody but cannot see the solution at present. We could sack McGhee but who takes over? Bob Booker? He couldn't manage a win when Coppell left us at the top of div 2(league 1)
It would take at least 3 weeks to sort out a new manager and who is to say he can turn it around?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's the mushroom syndrome, we haven't heard any good news for so long that the vermin are chewing at our very souls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here