Votes: 8 5.2%
  • What?! 'F' No!

Votes: 145 94.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Are you a little upset at the wording? :D We can all spin, left, right, centrist or just don't know. Fun isn't it?

Yes it can be, although a weepy sjw throthing up at the graun is hardly likely to dictate tory party policy. Although with a leader as clueless and incompetent as Teresa May it cannot be ruled out 100%.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Better than your attempt at quoting my post. That's for sure. Sorry that a three and a bit paragraph response is a bit much for you. Next time I'll remember to keep it to a couple of lines and nothing more than two syllable words.

Or maybe don't bother?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I remember my late father-in-law had no great opinion of the USAAF but are you sure? Dresden is over 90 miles from Prague, that is one hell of a navigational ****-up...

He is right jakarta. Mind you the Americans would be unable to locate Ireland an awful lot of the time. So maybe it can be classed as a near miss!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Dancing House building here was built on the area destroyed by US Bombers precision bombing. They mistook Prague for Dresden. When you manage to bomb the wrong city, I'm not sure their precision criteria was the same as other nations I think i read the USAAF was also assigned to bomb Dresden as well but didn't due to weather

So which did they do then? Go out to bomb Dresden and hit Prague by mistake, or call off their assignment to bomb Dresden because of the weather?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The American pilots have voiced their regret many times. The history of the 398th Bombardment Group based at RAF Nuthampstead, which carried out the raid, indicates the attack was an accident. The radar navigational equipment on the aircraft was not functioning correctly and high winds en route produced a dead reckoning navigational error of some 70 miles. This caused the formation to arrive over the supposed "target", which was believed to be Dresden, at the time bombing commenced. Prague was mostly obscured by broken clouds, with occasional glimpses of the Vltava river. Additionally, Prague and Dresden looked similar from the air, with rivers running through both cities. The bombing was carried out as a "blind attack" using radar.

After the war, the Americans were billed for some of the damages sustained by the historical buildings. The raid was used for anti-American propaganda purposes, both by the Nazis and the subsequent Communist regime in Czechoslovakia.[2]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Better than your attempt at quoting my post. That's for sure. Sorry that a three and a bit paragraph response is a bit much for you. Next time I'll remember to keep it to a couple of lines and nothing more than two syllable words.
Better still, use emojis!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The American pilots have voiced their regret many times. The history of the 398th Bombardment Group based at RAF Nuthampstead, which carried out the raid, indicates the attack was an accident. The radar navigational equipment on the aircraft was not functioning correctly and high winds en route produced a dead reckoning navigational error of some 70 miles. This caused the formation to arrive over the supposed "target", which was believed to be Dresden, at the time bombing commenced. Prague was mostly obscured by broken clouds, with occasional glimpses of the Vltava river. Additionally, Prague and Dresden looked similar from the air, with rivers running through both cities. The bombing was carried out as a "blind attack" using radar.

After the war, the Americans were billed for some of the damages sustained by the historical buildings. The raid was used for anti-American propaganda purposes, both by the Nazis and the subsequent Communist regime in Czechoslovakia.[2]

Thanks for that - it clearly wasn't a devastating (Cologne/Dresden/Hamburg) strike as so much of the Old Town has survived.

Still amazed that the navigators got it so wrong, you can only think that there was an overwhelming desire to ditch their bombs over this part of Europe as there were certainly Germans down there somewhere.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It is a reminder of our past and how we were, warts and all.
Pulling it down alongside other significant structures that signify success will further progress us into obscurity.
Being reminded of former glories could be inspiring, as is their intention.
Lest we forget.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Ha! The bloke claims to read a broadsheet too! I suspect it's thinking outside of his echo chamber that's the struggle.

Buzzer you are clearly a man(?) of superior intellect and wit, and I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by not wanting to read your essays on my phone. But can we still be friends?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Buzzer you are clearly a man(?) of superior intellect and wit, and I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by not wanting to read your essays on my phone. But can we still be friends?
My feelings hurt? Not at all, matey. If anything I'm rather enjoying the irony of you claiming to be too busy to engage me but your need to have the last word. Fair play.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This country's PC brigade won't be happy until every white person of Anglo Saxon heritage has apologised for everything this country has ever done and are in chains as slaves themselves and not represented in any capacity in boardrooms, parliament, sports, education, culture and so forth.

You can see why Brexit happened, people were sick of liberal fanaticism and general interference in our country - including rewriting our history. Quite proud of Nelson myself. Stuck it to them Frenchies when Bonaparte was about to invade us. Perhaps we should have let him, not sure the French would be entertaining this idea with their historical greats!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm curious as to why so many people are quite so outraged by the suggestion that we ought to have a debate over it.

I'm not saying it should be pulled down on the whim of a yoghurt knitter, but change is usually a good thing. Isn't it about time women were recognised? We've lived with statues that are almost exclusively men for centuries - why are women so invisible? It's not healthy is it? And what about the fact that this country is made up of a large number of people who might well have been slaves back then - again, hard for them to respect a man who was hell bent on keeping the slavery industry running.

Finally, this whinge at "left wingers" seems wide of the mark, but par-for-the-course for some of NSC's biggest thickies. I'd bet there are many other people who would least like to discuss the subject without hastily being labelled something they're not.

Too many lion and horse statues, as well.
How about a few guinea pigs and chickens to make it more democratic for the animal kingdom.
I love the statue of Boadicea and her Daughters, and as a young lad, my favourite picture in my history book was that of a fierce red-headed Boadicea charging along in a chariot that had deadly daggers attached to the wheels.
I've had a thing about red-heads ever since.......in a nice way.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
As regards statues..theres a few here :lol:
David Cerny, the enfant terrible of Czech art, wanted to put a 6 foot golden statue (and water feature) of a man masturbating on top of the Narodni Divadlo building.

Wouldnt you just love to have been in the city meeting when the application was made.... :lolol:

Im sorry David, you want to do WHAT?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
This country's PC brigade won't be happy until every white person of Anglo Saxon heritage has apologised for everything this country has ever done and are in chains as slaves themselves and not represented in any capacity in boardrooms, parliament, sports, education, culture and so forth.

You can see why Brexit happened, people were sick of liberal fanaticism and general interference in our country - including rewriting our history. Quite proud of Nelson myself. Stuck it to them Frenchies when Bonaparte was about to invade us. Perhaps we should have let him, not sure the French would be entertaining this idea with their historical greats!

Point of pedentary, the Danes and then their descendants (the Normans) largely enslaved the Anglo Saxons for hundreds of years.

When the Danes were pagan they brutalised the Christian Anglo Saxons, who were comparatively a tame bunch. When the descendants the Normans turned up it was the same, check out the Harrying of the North, which is a strange term to describe effectively an ethnic holocaust by the Normans.

In some respects it was the Anglo Saxons tolerance that contributed to their downfall, had they have had the rapacious kill, rape and burn ideology of the Danes (and Normans) they may have prevailed (king Alfred and his lineage excepted).

I guess the lesson from history is that when you are confronted with ideologically perverse hatred you need to fight fire with fire.

Some people of course don't realise that they are ideologically perverse merchants of hate, I suspect the Danes (and Normans) would have argued that to achieve their objectives.

Plus ca change.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
My feelings hurt? Not at all, matey. If anything I'm rather enjoying the irony of you claiming to be too busy to engage me but your need to have the last word. Fair play.

No I'm not too busy, I said I can't be bothered, there's a big difference...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Luckily as a person of mixed Anglo-Saxon and Slavic heritage I am able to apologise to myself for Brexit and also for Britain failing to help Poland out in any practical way in WWII. Plus the betrayal at Yalta of course.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
At school, I had an interest in the Crimea war, from the poem, the lessons about the charge of the light brigade, the film, the Thin red line painting, and Nightingale as my mother was a nurse. It does promote pride in your country. Had my ancestors papers translated by my gf a couple of years ago for a project for a family member. Discovered my ancestors discharge papers from the Tsar's army just after the war :lol:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
How about replacing with a less divisive person that people can actually relate to :-

Nelson Mandela

Michael Jackson

Emily Pankhurst

Ronnie Corbet

David Bowie

or John Noaks ,

who can forget this amazing moment of TV history

[yt]p4YFCJETmwI[/YT]

As a pont of issue and as a description of how things have changed, there was absolutely no recognition of Health and safety as we know it today with no hard hats, hi vis jackets, safety ropes, securing of the ladders and clambering around the top with no security. What was acceptable them, is not acceptable now.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Part of the cultural crucible.

Hard times create hard men who create good times, good times create soft men who then create bad times.

Even debating this is part of the culture unraveling due to in part Post Modernism, a rebranding of marxism, and the soft cultural generation. The third turning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here