Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Need some advice for a Brighton fan

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
And where is your Liverpool supporting mate from? Downtown Toxteth?

I suspect not.
I was born in Brighton and started going to the Goldstone in the early 80s. My lad was born and raised in Toxteth but supports the Albion. My best friend was born and raised in Surrey, but also lives in Liverpool. He’s a teacher at a local school and I convinced him to come with me to Brighton Vs Chester City and we’ve been going to games every season since. His son has a proper full on Scouse accent but also supports the Seagulls. My point, starting to support a team, any team can be for a number of reasons. Your friend, your dad’s mate, Uncle Bob, you’ve got the same hair cut as Cucarella. How and why you start supporting a team doesn’t always matter. Sticking with that team through the, bad times and the good, is what matters. UTA.

e55exseagull

Jun 20, 2023
Hi fella,

that’s a great story, of course your welcome in the Albion family, however there is one simple requirement..

You have to post in the below thread and engage with a character called Kuzushi for seven days and seven nights.

If you have survived after this period, you will be welcomed with open arms and the blessing HWT
hmm i dont get that thread😂 personally i appreciate all people's religions

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyway, there's no easy club to support over a long period of time, each and every one of them has dark times and good times, disappointments and successes - regardless of trophies won or average league positions. Fans' perspective is always relative, as all we really need is an exciting vessel for our emotions.
Yeah, must have been tough being a Liverpool fan for the last 45 years………..

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Yeah, must have been tough being a Liverpool fan for the last 45 years………..
They've had their better years and worse years as well; as I said, it's all relative to each club's expectations but the emotions are the same everywhere. You could say there's no easier team to support in Italy than Juve, but it has its own set of pros and cons - just as supporting Brighton does.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Life’s a bit more complicated than supporting a club where you were born which is a choice you can’t make.
However like women you can make some stupid decisions which you don’t want to be lumbered with the rest of your life, so nothing is forever. Enjoy yourself and sod what others think.
As long as you remember you are a customer and not a fan you will fit right in!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Simple reply......support the local team where you were born.
Bugger, it’s been fun following the Albion so help required here as I switch my allegiance, do I go full on glory hunter and support Nottingham Forest or would I be more of a genuine fan if I changed my allegiance to Notts County?

Thoughts?? :wink:

The cynic in me suggests a Palace connection from the OP though

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I assume you are actually a Palace fan.

But I'm going to humour you and ask: when we play the likes of Manchester United and sing, with some pride, "we support our local team", what will you do?
That one can be a bit awkward. My daughter’s local team is Manchester Utd. The ground is walking distance. She supports Brighton and always has done although has never lived there.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Hi fellow Seagulls I have something on my mind. I would be grateful if you could read the following and give me some advice (even though it is long)

Today, my Liverpool fan friend called me a bandwagon fan.

I have some admitting to do:
My first season of briefly following football was 2008-09. Man United won the league that season so as a stupid, mis-informed 7 year old, I hopped on their bandwagon - note that I did not have family team. I grew into watching football as United won trophies and initially I was happy. But when they stopped winning trophies, I noticed a change of attitude, an unappreciative mentality from their fans which I didn't like. I wanted to change, but I was told to be loyal and didn't want to stop after the first season after Fergie left.
Then, during the 2016-17, United won stuff again under Mourinho. I had to admit I didn't feel great, that club was not what I wanted but continued under the principles of loyalty. Then, one day at school, a friend called me out to be a bandwagon in around June 2017. Of course, this made me reconsider everything.

During the offseason, I chose Brighton. It happened to be the season that they got promoted and were on a high but I considered several teams, including my local team Southend and also Colchester, Ipswich and Norwich. Brighton stood out to me the most because of their history and humble fanbase - knowing about how we lost our ground in 1997 and nearly lost our Football League status and how the fans rallied around to save the club: this inspired me to want to be a part of this. Also, I had been to East Sussex before and driven past the stadium and it's a beautiful place and great people but this is the extent of the place connections I have.
I did not have this connection with neither the aforementioned more 'local' teams, nor other teams I was reading about. I knew I wanted a non-big 6 team but also at least a Football League team, as I came from a background where my family did not want me going to football matches because of the negative stereotypes around football fans - so I had no local connection and no family team.

For months in school, I had been a Brighton fan but shy to admit it, so when people asked me, I simply replied being a 'neutral' fan. But then my friends told me to 'stop being weird' so I admitted I liked Brighton and have been supporting the Albion from 2017-18 season until now, got some Seagulls gear and really enjoying myself.

However, today my Liverpool fan friend called me bandwagon, and so I am reconsidering everything.
In my school, the majority of people supported a 'Big 6' team or West Ham (for the reason that it was their local Prem team). In fact, others supported Southend + a big Prem team. In fact, this dude is from South London - his local is Charlton and supports Liverpool because it's his family team. I wanted Brighton because it made me sick that in school, like half the year would be United fans (and about 80% supporting big 6 teams) and I wanted to be unique. Does that make me more plastic or bandwagon than them?

He told me that football fans support a team for 2 'acceptable' reasons: either their local team or family team.
With my background, ultimately I don't get the thing around 'local' because I never really got it from my background were my parents influenced my upbringings including football.

I'm not claiming to be a 'pure' Brighton fan who followed from the start. In fact, on Brighton Twitter, I agree with some of the humble opinions that Brighton fans view because I understand and appreciate where we have come from. I just eradicated the mistake I made earlier in my life and chose a team I have a deep connection with, so I just want to fit in with Brighton fans who I really admire.
So, my question is: if I go to a Brighton game, given this passage and how I admit I'm a changed person, would I be accepted here? Does my friend have a point - should I still be supporting Brighton, or would that violate football fan principles? Honest opinions would be appreciated, thank you :)
Do what you want, as long as it doesn’t hurt others, and don’t give a **** what others think. If supporting Albion feels right for you then do that. You’ll soon enough know if it does. Supporting a football club is as much about what you feel and something personal to you, no one has the right to tell or instruct you what is right and what is wrong.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'll admit I only skim read the OP it as it was a bit TL;DR, and I don't know how seriously to take it as it does have a faint whiff of Croydon. The straight-bat answer however is that no one will check your credentials either when you buy a ticket, pass through the turnstiles or take your seat in the stand. Over the past few years we've gained fans from all over the world with no previous links to Sussex - a new fan from Essex is hardly going to raise any eyebrows.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hi fellow Seagulls I have something on my mind. I would be grateful if you could read the following and give me some advice (even though it is long)

My first season of briefly following football was 2008-09. Man United won the league that season so as a stupid, mis-informed 7 year old, I hopped on their bandwagon - note that I did not have family team. I grew into watching football as United won trophies and initially I was happy. But when they stopped winning trophies, I noticed a change of attitude, an unappreciative mentality from their fans which I didn't like. I wanted to change, but I was told to be loyal and didn't want to stop after the first season after Fergie left.
Then, during the 2016-17, United won stuff again under Mourinho. I had to admit I didn't feel great, that club was not what I wanted but continued under the principles of loyalty. Then, one day at school, a friend called me out to be a bandwagon in around June 2017. Of course, this made me reconsider everything.

During the offseason, I chose Brighton. It happened to be the season that they got promoted and were on a high but I considered several teams, including my local team Southend and also Colchester, Ipswich and Norwich. Brighton stood out to me the most because of their history and humble fanbase - knowing about how we lost our ground in 1997 and nearly lost our Football League status and how the fans rallied around to save the club: this inspired me to want to be a part of this. Also, I had been to East Sussex before and driven past the stadium and it's a beautiful place and great people but this is the extent of the place connections I have.
I did not have this connection with neither the aforementioned more 'local' teams, nor other teams I was reading about. I knew I wanted a non-big 6 team but also at least a Football League team, as I came from a background where my family did not want me going to football matches because of the negative stereotypes around football fans - so I had no local connection and no family team.

For months in school, I had been a Brighton fan but shy to admit it, so when people asked me, I simply replied being a 'neutral' fan. But then my friends told me to 'stop being weird' so I admitted I liked Brighton and have been supporting the Albion from 2017-18 season until now, got some Seagulls gear and really enjoying myself.

However, today my Liverpool fan friend called me bandwagon, and so I am reconsidering everything.
In my school, the majority of people supported a 'Big 6' team or West Ham (for the reason that it was their local Prem team). In fact, others supported Southend + a big Prem team. In fact, this dude is from South London - his local is Charlton and supports Liverpool because it's his family team. I wanted Brighton because it made me sick that in school, like half the year would be United fans (and about 80% supporting big 6 teams) and I wanted to be unique. Does that make me more plastic or bandwagon than them?

He told me that football fans support a team for 2 'acceptable' reasons: either their local team or family team.
With my background, ultimately I don't get the thing around 'local' because I never really got it from my background were my parents influenced my upbringings including football.

I'm not claiming to be a 'pure' Brighton fan who followed from the start. In fact, on Brighton Twitter, I agree with some of the humble opinions that Brighton fans view because I understand and appreciate where we have come from. I just eradicated the mistake I made earlier in my life and chose a team I have a deep connection with, so I just want to fit in with Brighton fans who I really admire.
So, my question is: if I go to a Brighton game, given this passage and how I admit I'm a changed person, would I be accepted here? Does my friend have a point - should I still be supporting Brighton, or would that violate football fan principles? Honest opinions would be appreciated, thank you :)
Local team or family team. If you can't do that now and chose another team along the way, you can't go reconsidering and picking another team on a whim. If you have settled on Brighton a few years ago, that's it for life now. Otherwise you won't get any passion for your team. Once you have the passion for a club, there is no pondering, reconsidering, switching or anything like that.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I was born in Brighton and started going to the Goldstone in the early 80s. My lad was born and raised in Toxteth but supports the Albion. My best friend was born and raised in Surrey, but also lives in Liverpool. He’s a teacher at a local school and I convinced him to come with me to Brighton Vs Chester City and we’ve been going to games every season since. His son has a proper full on Scouse accent but also supports the Seagulls. My point, starting to support a team, any team can be for a number of reasons. Your friend, your dad’s mate, Uncle Bob, you’ve got the same hair cut as Cucarella. How and why you start supporting a team doesn’t always matter. Sticking with that team through the, bad times and the good, is what matters. UTA.

I was just backing up Essex Seagull and his mate who is a Liverpool fan calling him a bandwaggoner.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Next season is my 30th consecutive season as a season ticket holder. I acrrued enough away games to be gold tier and even through in a handful of Under 21 games as well (Look at me!, LOOK AT ME!)

I supported Man Utd at school, which was my dad's team and it was only when I got to go to games on my own, that I really made a choice who to support.

Non-football supporters often ask me, do you know so and so, apparently they are a massive albion fan? The answer is nearly always no. I recognise far more faces than names, but some people's perception of massive, clearly hasn't been tested by long periods of struggle and underwhelming performance.

It used to really enjoy it seeing John Snow wearing a Seagulls tie to read the Channel 4 News and he had no connection to the area and never attended a match and I don't suppose it ever bothered him not making it to Uber supporter level.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

But we are a top 6 club!!!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Don't worry about it. If you've spent any time reading NSC you will know that there is plenty of piss-taking on here but anyone who wants to be part of the fan base, and part of the fun on here, can be, and not being 'local' is irrelevant. As long as you don't behave like a twat, in which case the full weight of our vituperation will lower itself on top of you like a heavy and unpleasant thing.

In the late 90s, a 14 year old lad living near Chester became captivated by the way the fan base was fighting to save the club and, with no connection to Brighton, started following us, and still does so today.

It is what it is.
Reminds me of one of my favourite fan moments. Back in the heyday of the Seagulls Mailing List, we would exchange post match analysis, via Email. One guy in partiicular kept coming up with bizzare tactical changes and opinions on player performances, which seemed to bear no relation to the game that some of us had attended.

It turned out he lived in Canada (or possibly Faversham, I get confused) and given there was no video stream of highlight packages meant he had a choice of following the games by listening to Radio Sussex commentary via a subscription at £30 a season, or following the BBC sports minute by minute analysis. He chose the latter. At this point in time it would read something like;

47 Brighton throw in left side half way line Mayo
48 Foul by Sparrow Brighton, free kick Stockport
53 Defensive clearance Stockport

It required great powers of imagination to get any soft of insight into a 0-0 draw and some of the puzzled response, his post matxch analysis used to prompt, was quite something.

phoenix

May 18, 2009

Total disgrace if you ask me you are just a football tart who supports who suits you. You don't get it, its in the heart you don't get to choose you heart does it for you and then thats it, simple. Oh were having a bad season ! i don't think i will bother with them. You just hang on in there and support your team. So good luck BANDWAGON boy. I hope its not to harsh but well its fair. I fell sorry for who you actually support 3/10.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reminds me of one of my favourite fan moments. Back in the heyday of the Seagulls Mailing List, we would exchange post match analysis, via Email. One guy in partiicular kept coming up with bizzare tactical changes and opinions on player performances, which seemed to bear no relation to the game that some of us had attended.

It turned out he lived in Canada (or possibly Faversham, I get confused) and given there was no video stream of highlight packages meant he had a choice of following the games by listening to Radio Sussex commentary via a subscription at £30 a season, or following the BBC sports minute by minute analysis. He chose the latter. At this point in time it would read something like;

47 Brighton throw in left side half way line Mayo
48 Foul by Sparrow Brighton, free kick Stockport
53 Defensive clearance Stockport

It required great powers of imagination to get any soft of insight into a 0-0 draw and some of the puzzled response, his post matxch analysis used to prompt, was quite something.
Ha! I don't remember that. I'd probably find it entirely normal :lolol:

OK, Canada-based posters on the Mailing list....there is deffo one, 'CR'. He also posts on NSC. More than 20 years ago he accused me of being hoity toity, an insult I have never forgotten :LOL:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here