Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Need some advice for a Brighton fan

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't worry about it. If you've spent any time reading NSC you will know that there is plenty of piss-taking on here but anyone who wants to be part of the fan base, and part of the fun on here, can be, and not being 'local' is irrelevant. As long as you don't behave like a twat, in which case the full weight of our vituperation will lower itself on top of you like a heavy and unpleasant thing.

In the late 90s, a 14 year old lad living near Chester became captivated by the way the fan base was fighting to save the club and, with no connection to Brighton, started following us, and still does so today.

It is what it is.
If you do behave like a twat, HWT will put you on ignore anyway :laugh: :laugh:

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Anyway, there's no easy club to support over a long period of time, each and every one of them has dark times and good times, disappointments and successes - regardless of trophies won or average league positions. Fans' perspective is always relative, as all we really need is an exciting vessel for our emotions.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
@e55exseagull Who cares what your mate thinks. You support who you support.

As long as you're committed to being an Albion fan until the day you die and bringing up your offspring in the correct Seagull way, that's fine by me. Just make sure you know the difference between The Lanes and the North Laine.
And if not he can pretty much copy and paste the post onto another team’s forum when we get relegated. Win win.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Hi fellow Seagulls I have something on my mind. I would be grateful if you could read the following and give me some advice (even though it is long)

Today, my Liverpool fan friend called me a bandwagon fan.

I have some admitting to do:
My first season of briefly following football was 2008-09. Man United won the league that season so as a stupid, mis-informed 7 year old, I hopped on their bandwagon - note that I did not have family team. I grew into watching football as United won trophies and initially I was happy. But when they stopped winning trophies, I noticed a change of attitude, an unappreciative mentality from their fans which I didn't like. I wanted to change, but I was told to be loyal and didn't want to stop after the first season after Fergie left.
Then, during the 2016-17, United won stuff again under Mourinho. I had to admit I didn't feel great, that club was not what I wanted but continued under the principles of loyalty. Then, one day at school, a friend called me out to be a bandwagon in around June 2017. Of course, this made me reconsider everything.

During the offseason, I chose Brighton. It happened to be the season that they got promoted and were on a high but I considered several teams, including my local team Southend and also Colchester, Ipswich and Norwich. Brighton stood out to me the most because of their history and humble fanbase - knowing about how we lost our ground in 1997 and nearly lost our Football League status and how the fans rallied around to save the club: this inspired me to want to be a part of this. Also, I had been to East Sussex before and driven past the stadium and it's a beautiful place and great people but this is the extent of the place connections I have.
I did not have this connection with neither the aforementioned more 'local' teams, nor other teams I was reading about. I knew I wanted a non-big 6 team but also at least a Football League team, as I came from a background where my family did not want me going to football matches because of the negative stereotypes around football fans - so I had no local connection and no family team.

For months in school, I had been a Brighton fan but shy to admit it, so when people asked me, I simply replied being a 'neutral' fan. But then my friends told me to 'stop being weird' so I admitted I liked Brighton and have been supporting the Albion from 2017-18 season until now, got some Seagulls gear and really enjoying myself.

However, today my Liverpool fan friend called me bandwagon, and so I am reconsidering everything.
In my school, the majority of people supported a 'Big 6' team or West Ham (for the reason that it was their local Prem team). In fact, others supported Southend + a big Prem team. In fact, this dude is from South London - his local is Charlton and supports Liverpool because it's his family team. I wanted Brighton because it made me sick that in school, like half the year would be United fans (and about 80% supporting big 6 teams) and I wanted to be unique. Does that make me more plastic or bandwagon than them?

He told me that football fans support a team for 2 'acceptable' reasons: either their local team or family team.
With my background, ultimately I don't get the thing around 'local' because I never really got it from my background were my parents influenced my upbringings including football.

I'm not claiming to be a 'pure' Brighton fan who followed from the start. In fact, on Brighton Twitter, I agree with some of the humble opinions that Brighton fans view because I understand and appreciate where we have come from. I just eradicated the mistake I made earlier in my life and chose a team I have a deep connection with, so I just want to fit in with Brighton fans who I really admire.
So, my question is: if I go to a Brighton game, given this passage and how I admit I'm a changed person, would I be accepted here? Does my friend have a point - should I still be supporting Brighton, or would that violate football fan principles? Honest opinions would be appreciated, thank you :)
I fell asleep before finishing that, can someone summarise?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Hi fellow Seagulls I have something on my mind. I would be grateful if you could read the following and give me some advice (even though it is long)

My first season of briefly following football was 2008-09. Man United won the league that season so as a stupid, mis-informed 7 year old, I hopped on their bandwagon - note that I did not have family team. I grew into watching football as United won trophies and initially I was happy. But when they stopped winning trophies, I noticed a change of attitude, an unappreciative mentality from their fans which I didn't like. I wanted to change, but I was told to be loyal and didn't want to stop after the first season after Fergie left.
Then, during the 2016-17, United won stuff again under Mourinho. I had to admit I didn't feel great, that club was not what I wanted but continued under the principles of loyalty. Then, one day at school, a friend called me out to be a bandwagon in around June 2017. Of course, this made me reconsider everything.

During the offseason, I chose Brighton. It happened to be the season that they got promoted and were on a high but I considered several teams, including my local team Southend and also Colchester, Ipswich and Norwich. Brighton stood out to me the most because of their history and humble fanbase - knowing about how we lost our ground in 1997 and nearly lost our Football League status and how the fans rallied around to save the club: this inspired me to want to be a part of this. Also, I had been to East Sussex before and driven past the stadium and it's a beautiful place and great people but this is the extent of the place connections I have.
I did not have this connection with neither the aforementioned more 'local' teams, nor other teams I was reading about. I knew I wanted a non-big 6 team but also at least a Football League team, as I came from a background where my family did not want me going to football matches because of the negative stereotypes around football fans - so I had no local connection and no family team.

For months in school, I had been a Brighton fan but shy to admit it, so when people asked me, I simply replied being a 'neutral' fan. But then my friends told me to 'stop being weird' so I admitted I liked Brighton and have been supporting the Albion from 2017-18 season until now, got some Seagulls gear and really enjoying myself.

However, today my Liverpool fan friend called me bandwagon, and so I am reconsidering everything.
In my school, the majority of people supported a 'Big 6' team or West Ham (for the reason that it was their local Prem team). In fact, others supported Southend + a big Prem team. In fact, this dude is from South London - his local is Charlton and supports Liverpool because it's his family team. I wanted Brighton because it made me sick that in school, like half the year would be United fans (and about 80% supporting big 6 teams) and I wanted to be unique. Does that make me more plastic or bandwagon than them?

He told me that football fans support a team for 2 'acceptable' reasons: either their local team or family team.
With my background, ultimately I don't get the thing around 'local' because I never really got it from my background were my parents influenced my upbringings including football.

I'm not claiming to be a 'pure' Brighton fan who followed from the start. In fact, on Brighton Twitter, I agree with some of the humble opinions that Brighton fans view because I understand and appreciate where we have come from. I just eradicated the mistake I made earlier in my life and chose a team I have a deep connection with, so I just want to fit in with Brighton fans who I really admire.
So, my question is: if I go to a Brighton game, given this passage and how I admit I'm a changed person, would I be accepted here? Does my friend have a point - should I still be supporting Brighton, or would that violate football fan principles? Honest opinions would be appreciated, thank you :)
How many insert days do you get in Croydon?

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Where were you when we were shit?

No better than the Man City 'fans' cropping up everywhere.

:jester:

Ah, that drives me :mad:

My son often does the Albion football camps in Uckfield at holiday times and without fail, there are always a few wallies in Man City shirts (but always pleasing to see SO many kids, of all ages, in Brighton shirts!!)

Anyway, back to the thread!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
At your young age, don't worry about picking a team, just find a group to go to live football with. Go to whatever games you can get to regularly with your mates. You can argue among yourselves about each of the teams you picked or your parents picked for you. (His 'family team' is of no more worth than you choosing one yourself).

Eventually, something will tell you. Perhaps the team you've been watching will play a cup match against your EPL team and you'll know from your own reaction, which team you support. In the meantime, going to live games with your mates will give far more opportunity for laughs and memories than arguing over teams you'd all struggle to get to watch regularly. The shared experience is what it's about. The team could be any team*, at any level. If and when it's meant to be, you and the team will choose each other.

* - Except Palace of course. Never, ever Palace. ;)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Hi fella,

that’s a great story, of course your welcome in the Albion family, however there is one simple requirement..

You have to post in the below thread and engage with a character called Kuzushi for seven days and seven nights.

If you have survived after this period, you will be welcomed with open arms and the blessing HWT

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
You don't speak to a club, a club speaks to you. (@Javeaseagull already said this, but it's a good quote!)

You are always welcome to down to the AMEX, hopefully enjoy yourself, and see how you feel after it all.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I often wonder why people get so worked up about the perception of our fanbase being somehow less loyal or more plastic or whatever you want to call it than others.

Because when I go to the football, I go to enjoy the game and the company of my Dad and my mates. What 3K away fans think of our fanbase is at the very, very bottom of the list of things I give any sort of a shit about.

To the OP specifically: if you like Brighton and enjoy watching Brighton then support Brighton and, frankly, tell anyone who gives you shit for it or for switching allegiances to f*** off into the sea and stay there. It's your life, do what you want with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi fella,

that’s a great story, of course your welcome in the Albion family, however there is one simple requirement..

You have to post in the below thread and engage with a character called Kuzushi for seven days and seven nights.

If you have survived after this period, you will be welcomed with open arms and the blessing HWT
Steady. I will tolerate many, but I bless very few ???

:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here