[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Its not very simple and no, Maupay is not paid to score goals, he is paid to help the team win football games. If that is through scoring himself or helping someone else score really doesnt matter.

You pay a brick layer to build houses and a plumber to build houses. You dont ask the bricklayer to do the plumbing or the plumber to lay the bricks. Brian Clough who took a second division side to be champions of england and twice European Cup winners in what 5 or 6 season was absolutely right when he told his forward in training "I pay you to score goals, now get in the box". If Maupay plays the next game then Potter's judgement is in question and if he doesn't score, Potters job is on the line. Failing to try something else to try to address our goal scoring record is simply not good enough.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You pay a brick layer to build houses and a plumber to build houses. You dont ask the bricklayer to do the plumbing or the plumber to lay the bricks. Brian Clough who took a second division side to be champions of england and twice European Cup winners in what 5 or 6 season was absolutely right when he told his forward in training "I pay you to score goals, now get in the box". If Maupay plays the next game then Potter's judgement is in question and if he doesn't score, Potters job is on the line. Failing to try something else to try to address our goal scoring record is simply not good enough.

What, because you posted that on here ? LOL.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Was crap tonight.

I’ve said for a while I think it will be like the Ryan situation, ultimately the stats will catch him up and we’ll offload him in the summer and sign an upgrade.

4 goals from open play all season from your main striker, for a side who create as many chances as we do is just simply not good enough.

So who would you play
a) Wellbeck has missed some sitters and doesn't work as hard
b) Connolly missed sitters workrs harder than Wellbeck but less than Maupay andagain will play better as a pair so not a replacement.
c) Tau , doesn't read the game or tackle back.
d) Zequiri , had a good game then not played again should have been on last night.
e)Khadra why not, another who looked ok (based on one game) but then disappears.
f) Ali J I think his time has gone, when he did look like he migh maker it last year he didn't play again
g) Andone - give him a chance but agin needs to be played with a another forward

I would prefer to play two up top at the expense of either Trossard or Gross so that we cut out some of the midfield slow delivery. I also would prefer to see Alzate get some time in midfield . At the start of thi season we looked good when we had younger players going forward quickly .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Brian Clough and the football of his time are both all kinds of dead. There's been at least as much tactical development between the 1970s and now as between the 1910s and the 1970s, football is played in a different way. Everyone is supposed to participate in every part of the game. I've given you great examples of strikers who does not score a lot but helped or are helping their teams to great success. I agree goal scoring needs to improve but its a team thing, not a central forward thing.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Brian Clough and the football of his time are both all kinds of dead. There's been at least as much tactical development between the 1970s and now as between the 1910s and the 1970s, football is played in a different way. Everyone is supposed to participate in every part of the game. I've given you great examples of strikers who does not score a lot but helped or are helping their teams to great success. I agree goal scoring needs to improve but its a team thing, not a central forward thing.

No, forwards score goals or they get dropped. He should have been dropped in October, latest November and now it is beyond the pale. There are not many great options, but creating competition for places but dropping him and trying others, or trying to convert someone else into a temporary forward is what Potter should be doing. You do not keep picking a forward who can't score goals leaving one of the most creative teams in the counry unable to score more than 1 goal every two games. Potter should know this and if he doesn't then he will have to go also.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Is Neal Maupay Brighton's problem?
Neal Maupay has started 19 of 25 league games this term, but he is a serial underperformer.

The Frenchman undoubtedly brings a lot to Brighton’s general play, but when it comes to finishing chances, he is extremely underwhelming.

In his four seasons in English football, two in the Sky Bet Championship at Brentford, Maupay has scored 54 goals from chances equating to 64.3 xG. He has only ever equalled or exceeded his xG once, back in 2018/19.

Since making the step up to the Premier League with Brighton he has left around nine goals out on the pitch (17 goals, 25.8 xG).

Maupay obviously does half the job by getting in the right scoring areas, which is why he is rated so highly by xG models, but converting the chances is an issue.

Brighton chose not to upgrade in the summer or January, but they definitely should in the next window.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
So who would you play
a) Wellbeck has missed some sitters and doesn't work as hard
b) Connolly missed sitters workrs harder than Wellbeck but less than Maupay andagain will play better as a pair so not a replacement.
c) Tau , doesn't read the game or tackle back.
d) Zequiri , had a good game then not played again should have been on last night.
e)Khadra why not, another who looked ok (based on one game) but then disappears.
f) Ali J I think his time has gone, when he did look like he migh maker it last year he didn't play again
g) Andone - give him a chance but agin needs to be played with a another forward

I would prefer to play two up top at the expense of either Trossard or Gross so that we cut out some of the midfield slow delivery. I also would prefer to see Alzate get some time in midfield . At the start of thi season we looked good when we had younger players going forward quickly .

This is the debate to be had. What to do. Welbeck if fit or Andone if fit. Otherwise Connolly and then it's a curve ball solution by "doing a Chris Sutton". Try and use a player who doesnt play up front and look to convert them into the role. Bottom line is that no matter who you play, they will not be scoring any less than Maupay. Maupay should not have been first on the team sheet since October. Sure, on the bench, and some starts, fighting for a place. But a shoe in to start every game? Well that is bad management.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No, forwards score goals or they get dropped. He should have been dropped in October, latest November and now it is beyond the pale. There are not many great options, but creating competition for places but dropping him and trying others, or trying to convert someone else into a temporary forward is what Potter should be doing. You do not keep picking a forward who can't score goals leaving one of the most creative teams in the counry unable to score more than 1 goal every two games. Potter should know this and if he doesn't then he will have to go also.

Alright, you are going to keep ignore my examples of forwards who didnt score yet helped their teams to great success and go on with your false "forwards score goals or get dropped/are shit" nonsense. Its like talking to a wall. In modern football, midfield goal production is as important as striker goal production and there's plenty of proof for it that I've mentioned to you plenty of times. The main difference between Brighton and a team playing similar football is that their midfielders score goals while the Brighton midfield doesnt, regardless if you understand it or not.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Alright, you are going to keep ignore my examples of forwards who didnt score yet helped their teams to great success and go on with your false "forwards score goals or get dropped/are shit" nonsense. Its like talking to a wall. In modern football, midfield goal production is as important as striker goal production and there's plenty of proof for it that I've mentioned to you plenty of times. The main difference between Brighton and a team playing similar football is that their midfielders score goals while the Brighton midfield doesnt, regardless if you understand it or not.

Maupay has missed chance after chance after chance after chance. It is bad management to make Maupay first on the team sheet. The manager should have had him scrapping for his place since October. The manager is at fault. Now he either tries other options, create competition for the forward role or for me, he has to go. It has been left to drift for 3/4 months longer than it should have done.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm not getting too deep here, but if you play a single, or central striker, there's a clue in the name, he strikes the goal

I don't give a **** about the supporting role or the being nice to team mates, one-two lovathons, he should be the greediest tartiest most selfish c*nt out there . . . . But gets away with it because he scores a goal every other game or more and the team wins.

There was hope, maybe expectation, and glimmers, but the last three months have proven that Neal Maupay is not that man.

Players, and managers, have lost their jobs for less.

last night, he looked more of a hinderance than a help.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maupay has missed chance after chance after chance after chance. It is bad management to make Maupay first on the team sheet. The manager should have had him scrapping for his place since October. The manager is at fault. Now he either tries other options, create competition for the forward role or for me, he has to go. It has been left to drift for 3/4 months longer than it should have done.

All the Brighton strikers got bad xG, Welbeck is almost identical to Maupay, Connolly only a slight difference. And thats just the strikers, neither most midfielders or defenders are close to the equivalents of other teams either. Its a team problem.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
no because he has continued with the same failing striker for 3 months longer than he should have without trying to find other solutions, leaving us very close to relegation despite having a midfield that is one of the best in the country.

We’ve just had a long unbeaten run, beaten Spurs and Liverpool and lost a game to a bit of daylight robbery. I doubt sacking Potter has ever been further from Tony’s mind. He certainly isn’t going to do it over a single player’s selection.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This is the debate to be had. What to do. Welbeck if fit or Andone if fit. Otherwise Connolly and then it's a curve ball solution by "doing a Chris Sutton". Try and use a player who doesnt play up front and look to convert them into the role. Bottom line is that no matter who you play, they will not be scoring any less than Maupay. Maupay should not have been first on the team sheet since October. Sure, on the bench, and some starts, fighting for a place. But a shoe in to start every game? Well that is bad management.

Wellbeck had a little run out for a few games and in three on the trot he missed a sitter, maybe if he gets a run of games he might be better but I wouldn't hold my breath, work rate is questionable. Hope i am proved wrong.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Potter likes to put out a formation and tactics as if we are Man City but without that quality of player - hence we play well but don;t score much.

Or maybe we need an Emile Heskey up front, he never scored many but his teams did ok.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter likes to put out a formation and tactics as if we are Man City but without that quality of player - hence we play well but don;t score much.

Or maybe we need an Emile Heskey up front, he never scored many but his teams did ok.

What is he up to these days? I still remember Rivaldo saying "England are shite but Heskey would be good for us", I was a bit surprised at the time but looking at old games now I've come to appreciate that Heskey was a very good footballer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s a one goal EPL goal every 4 games striker. I can’t see a 24 year old drastically improving on that, but would love to be proved wrong.

He works tirelessly and can hold the ball up to an extent, the best of our strikers at doing that.

If TB aspires for the club to be consistently top 10, that won’t be with Maupay as our best striker imho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports