Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He is very poor outside of the box, that's become my thought throughout the season. He overhits simple passes and really doesn't have much vision of what's around him. He's a very strong finisher when given a good chance in the box but otherwise I think he's underwhelming. Either he needs to change his game to become more effective for the team, or the team needs to get back to basics and think about how to generate the type of chance at Leeds he's absolutely deadly with.

What - open goals ?

Thats half our problem. Attempting to walk it into the net,

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes yes, the usual stats. Stats, stats, stats. Ignore your eyes, everyone! Much like what happened with Ryan, ignore your eyes! Well, eventually the obvious was obvious to everyone. Watch Maupay, when he gets the ball outside the box. He rarely knows what to do with it, and frequently overhits a pass into touch or makes it a 50/50 for the intended recipient. I don't really care too much for statistics, I prefer to rely on watching the game and forming my opinions on watching the matches.

My opinion on Maupay is pretty low at the moment, he needs to get back to doing what the team needs from him. And it isn't trying to create things outside the box - we have plenty of those types and nobody to stick the ball in the net. Maupay needs to score goals, that's what the team requires right now - can anyone disagree with that?

The other problem with stats of course, is that you can find thousands of them then select the one to share which most matches the opinion you first arrived at.

I'll be trusting my eyes as well and they say that Maupay shouldn't be in the team any time soon

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I repeat: then neither does Jurgen Klopp (Firmino) or Arsene Wenger (Bergkamp). I'm fine being in their company.
There's a major difference. Firminho plays as the supply line for Mane and Salah, Bergkamp played as the supply line for Ian Wright, Maupay is meant to be on the end of the supply line. He's just not good enough.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There's a major difference. Firminho plays as the supply line or Mane and Salah, Bergkamp played as the supply line for Ian Wright, Maupay is meant to be on the end of the supply line. He's just not good enough.

Who says Maupay is "meant to be on the end of the supply line"?

Also I recall Bergkamp have another mate up front for quite a few years but thats a different story.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Er, YES. Burn crossed from the right (wtf?) and Neal headed wide again. Burn is criticised for poor heading but I'm afraid Neal is poor in the air.

Er ,NO. Watch the highlights again . The cross was too high for him, he jumped and made no contact and the ball fell to Trossard.
So had the cross been a foot lower , he would have At least got a full head on it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He’s our best striker.

That says it all, given that he’s utterly useless at the moment, if we had a proven finisher up front they’d have have 20 goals this season, I understand bad form every player goes through the same thing but I’m sorry there is no excuse for Maupays woeful decision making, he seems to do the wrong thing every time, he should shoot and he doesn’t and he should pass and he shoots.

I’m running out of patience with him because it feels like his attitude and application is going down hill, and that’s something that annoys me the most I could handle him being shit but acting like a brat and being selfish riles me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes yes, the usual stats. Stats, stats, stats. Ignore your eyes, everyone! Much like what happened with Ryan, ignore your eyes! Well, eventually the obvious was obvious to everyone. Watch Maupay, when he gets the ball outside the box. He rarely knows what to do with it, and frequently overhits a pass into touch or makes it a 50/50 for the intended recipient. I don't really care too much for statistics, I prefer to rely on watching the game and forming my opinions on watching the matches.

My opinion on Maupay is pretty low at the moment, he needs to get back to doing what the team needs from him. And it isn't trying to create things outside the box - we have plenty of those types and nobody to stick the ball in the net. Maupay needs to score goals, that's what the team requires right now - can anyone disagree with that?

We (Ryan fans) ignored the stats, not our eyes.

Potter didn't.

I am certain of one thing (and the Ryan episode proves it): when Potter sees a problem he will fix it ruthlessly as soon as he can.

I also have faith that he can see a problem and statistics will help him in that regard.

I think he made an error yesterday, though. Pussyfoot football was needless against that shower. A battering would have made better sense.

Last edited:

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
There are some bottom lines in all sports and in football, a bottom line is that a striker must score goals, should he be given the opportunity. Maupay does not play in a team that might be lucky to create 3 to 5 chances a games. He plays in a team that is creating 20 to 25 chances a game, of which 3 to 6 are glaring chances. I praised Potter when he made the decision to address the goals being conceded from set pieces by changing the keeper. For me tho' I thought he was 2 months late with that decision, it should have been done in October.

Now in my opinion, Potter is a few months late in changing his centre forward. Maupay has scored only 3 goals from open play in a side creating more chances than almost any side in the league. Yes he has made his tally to 7 by scoring other peoples penalties. But 3 in open play is simply not close to good enough in this side. The question is who should replace him because Potter only has the strikers we have to choose from. The best finisher (Welbeck) is mostly injured, Connolly has been dreadful in front of goal himself, Ali J has not been great and Tau is both new and also has only been average when played. That leaves Andone who also is injured. Doesn't give Potter many options.

However, playing Maupay game in game out as he is seen as the best of a bad choice isn't good enough. Freshen it up, create competition and give others a chance. It is one position in the team where you could almost put a youth team player or centre back up front to change it around and it couldn't be any worse, if they dont score then so what, neither does Maupay. We have other strikers such as Connolly to try, so throw him in. Experiment with other players as makeshift forwards, but to keep playing Maupay is now unacceptable management, that shows no ability to adapt and solve a problem.

If he looks to plays Maupay in the next game then he should be told, it's up to you, but if he fails to score and we continue to miss chances then the managers job is on the line. I won't mind if the next forward doesn't score, but I will mind if he continues to not even try and find a solution.

Last edited:

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
We (Ryan fans) ignored the stats, not our eyes.

Potter didn't.

I am certain of one thing (and the Ryan episode proves it): when Potter sees a problem he will fix it ruthlessly as soon as he can.

I also have faith that he can see a problem and statistics will help him in that regard.

I think he made an error yesterday, though. Pussyfoot football was needless against that shower. A battering would have made better sense.

It was evident to many of us that the keeper needed changing in October, Potter was late in changing the keeper, now he is late in changing the forward. I make allowance for the fact that making the decision is different to being a fan observing, but now it's time to act. Maupay must be dropped and that also has been evident since November so Potter is late with this decision also.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Who says Maupay is "meant to be on the end of the supply line"?

Also I recall Bergkamp have another mate up front for quite a few years but thats a different story.

Doesn't matter whether it's Wright or Thierry Henry,the point still stands. Bergkamp was a number 10 supplying the bullets, as well as scoring a fair few, Firminho is the false 9 supplying the bullets, as well as scoring some, Maupay is the primary striker. You cannot argue, surely, that Maupay is playing as the main striker and is supposed to score goals from the supply line of Mac Alli, Gross, Trossard and the wingbacks?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Doesn't matter whether it's Wright or Thierry Henry,the point still stands. Bergkamp was a number 10 supplying the bullets, as well as scoring a fair few, Firminho is the false 9 supplying the bullets, as well as scoring some, Maupay is the primary striker. You cannot argue, surely, that Maupay is playing as the main striker and is supposed to score goals from the supply line of Mac Alli, Gross, Trossard and the wingbacks?

Why not? Plenty of teams playing similar to Brighton where a huge part of the goal production comes from other players than the striker who is more or as much of a link player as a goal scorer. Maupay does that part of the job, he links up with the others, but they are not converting. Plenty of players - provided by Maupay - had better chances than him yesterday, yet very little is said of their inefficency. Playing against collected defenses requires midfielders to contribute with goals. Look at United where one of Martial / Cavani most often play centrally but where most of the goals are scored by Rashford / Fernandes (and recently James). Or City where players like Gundogan, Sterling and Mahrez often score more than the central forward.

Brighton play in a similar way - is it then reasonable to demand that Maupay should score more than Jesus or Martial? Is it unreasonable to expect more goals from players like Trossard, Mac Allister, Lallana, Gross etc?

May 13, 2013
He’s a number 10, the problem is so are Trossard, MacArgie and Gross.
Welbeck is the only true 9 at the club but he’s made of glass.
I wouldn't say he's a no 10 at all, the three players above are clever, can see a pass. Maupay is the opposite.

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Why not? Plenty of teams playing similar to Brighton where a huge part of the goal production comes from other players than the striker who is more or as much of a link player as a goal scorer. Maupay does that part of the job, he links up with the others, but they are not converting. Plenty of players - provided by Maupay - had better chances than him yesterday, yet very little is said of their inefficency. Playing against collected defenses requires midfielders to contribute with goals. Look at United where one of Martial / Cavani most often play centrally but where most of the goals are scored by Rashford / Fernandes (and recently James). Or City where players like Gundogan, Sterling and Mahrez often score more than the central forward.

Brighton play in a similar way - is it then reasonable to demand that Maupay should score more than Jesus or Martial? Is it unreasonable to expect more goals from players like Trossard, Mac Allister, Lallana, Gross etc?

It's very simple is football. Maupay is paid to score goals. He is in a team that creates plenty of chances to score goals. The manager needs to drop him, and that has been evident for months. If Potter doesn't drop him and at least try to find a solution then Potter will need to go.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's very simple is football. Maupay is paid to score goals. He is in a team that creates plenty of chances to score goals. The manager needs to drop him, and that has been evident for months. If Potter doesn't drop him and at least try to find a solution then Potter will need to go.

Its not very simple and no, Maupay is not paid to score goals, he is paid to help the team win football games. If that is through scoring himself or helping someone else score really doesnt matter.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

You are just arguing black is white and trying to pretend Maupay is something he isn't. He has shown in recent months that he is not good enough to be a Premier League striker. Maybe he will improve after a lay-off or maybe he won't and that's as good as he will ever be.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You are just arguing black is white and trying to pretend Maupay is something he isn't. He has shown in recent months that he is not good enough to be a Premier League striker. Maybe he will improve after a lay-off or maybe he won't and that's as good as he will ever be.

I disagree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here