Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor slags off Amex support

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having seen Leicester's support at home matches recently, they have shown that the crowd can get behind the team, as well as be patient.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Without reading all 29 pages Naylor is right. Given the big numbers, the atmosphere is not good and burying our heads in the sand and getting thin-skinned about him making the point isn't going to help.

The bottom line is...we all (at least I hope we do) want the atmosphere to be loud, help the team, even intimidate the opposition but at the very least lift our own lads especially near the end, and when things aren't going well.

The fact is the atmosphere is better at Palace. Not just a little bit better, a lot better. That can change, but it isn't going to change if everyone pretends it isn't true.

BHAFC_SWC

honorary pierced weirdo
Feb 26, 2013
West Sussex
Agree. But that means that the club have to accommodate all the singers together. And clearly they don't intend to make that happen.

The club can't force people to move seats and create room for a singing section. They wrote to people and asked nicely, and no-one was interested. It's now dead in the water.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
There are enough home fans at the Amex who want to sing to make a good atmosphere. The problem, as many have pointed out, is the co-ordination of their efforts on the same song at the same time.

So what we need is a prompt, a starter, that most can hear and gets things going #Together.

Now a drum could do that job. But to my ear (and I would wager most fans) a drum is monotonous, dull and tuneless. Frankly, dull.

Surely a better solution would be a really good trumpet or bugle player, starting songs rather like Billy does for the Barmy Army. The trumpeter would just need half-a-dozen "intros" that signal to people what and when to sing. The classic is the Call to Post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2QdFrcTFU that Billy uses to signal the Great Escape song.

This has the advantage of being both tuneful and penetrating - if he/she were sat on the NW shelf, then most in those 2 stands at least could clearly hear them. They could also be primed to start things up when things had gone quiet, allowing fans to start songs as now as well.

What do people think? It's got to be worth a try.

PG

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Vocal support is scattered throughout the ground. Obvious from Saturday that we have 7k and many more committed to sing throughout the game if consolidated.

If people aren't willing to move then not much can be done.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The fact is the atmosphere is better at Palace. Not just a little bit better, a lot better. That can change, but it isn't going to change if everyone pretends it isn't true.

And how do you know this?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Without reading all 29 pages Naylor is right. Given the big numbers, the atmosphere is not good and burying our heads in the sand and getting thin-skinned about him making the point isn't going to help.

The bottom line is...we all (at least I hope we do) want the atmosphere to be loud, help the team, even intimidate the opposition but at the very least lift our own lads especially near the end, and when things aren't going well.

At times the palace fans make a fair bit of noise. But I've watched and listened to a few of their matches and they are dead quiet a lot of the time. It helps they are playing Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham and Arsenal all local derbies against bigger clubs and then you add man u, man city, Liverpool etc and half their games are against the best supported clubs in the country. Palace weren't getting this 'amazing and intimidating atmosphere' on the championship were they! No certainly not on gates of 14 or 15 thousand. We however could make more noise, I'll concede that but we are playing Rotherham instead of man u and mk dons instead of Chelsea. Give us a few bigger clubs to play and I'm sure more people will be more up for it and the atmosphere will improve.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
At times the palace fans make a fair bit of noise. But I've watched and listened to a few of their matches and they are dead quiet a lot of the time. It helps they are playing Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham and Arsenal all local derbies against bigger clubs and then you add man u, man city, Liverpool etc and half their games are against the best supported clubs in the country. Palace weren't getting this 'amazing and intimidating atmosphere' on the championship were they! No certainly not on gates of 14 or 15 thousand. We however could make more noise, I'll concede that but we are playing Rotherham instead of man u and mk dons instead of Chelsea. Give us a few bigger clubs to play and I'm sure more people will be more up for it and the atmosphere will improve.

A good point well made. It can be difficult to get worked up against the likes of Rotherham and MK. I think the hugeness of the Burnley game will generate a good atmosphere, as will the visits of Fulham and QPR and a couple of large away followings, and then we end up with a potentially season defining game against Derby on Bank Holiday Monday. The atmosphere should be much better for these games.

FWIW I still think we are being overly harsh on the Amex support, it can ALWAYS be better, but I still think we compare well to others in the division.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
And how do you know this?

Exactly! Another one who's bought into the Sky Hyperbole 'Premier League is best' hypnosis - keep showing the same 20 spotty kids in uniforms with a drum and clapping co-ordinator trying to be Italian and telling the viewers that it's a great atmo and they'll believe it. Plus of course he can't possibly know this as doesn't go regularly to both grounds - deliberately stirring shit IMO :lol:

Our support is fine and at times great. Just cos Naylor wants to flog a few more rags in the international break at 35p each, doesn't mean we should all get drawn in to this negative bullshit - especially after a huge win Saturday - we should be basking in that and thinking about the next game for 2 weeks rather than worrying about this crap Naylor has stirred up.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Exactly! Another one who's bought into the Sky Hyperbole 'Premier League is best' hypnosis - keep showing the same 20 spotty kids in uniforms with a drum and clapping co-ordinator trying to be Italian and telling the viewers that it's a great atmo and they'll believe it. Plus of course he can't possibly know this as doesn't go regularly to both grounds - deliberately stirring shit IMO :lol:

Our support is fine and at times great. Just cos Naylor wants to flog a few more rags in the international break at 35p each, doesn't mean we should all get drawn in to this negative bullshit - especially after a huge win Saturday - we should be basking in that and thinking about the next game for 2 weeks rather than worrying about this crap Naylor has stirred up.

When was the last time you bought the Argus? It's at least 65p now.

Circulation within Brighton and Hove? Just over 5k at the last count.

PG

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I'm shocked at the sensitivity and the level of denial from so many posters. But at least there are some views from the other side in the mix as well.

The atmosphere this season at the AMEX has been shocking this season. I am not comparing that to other clubs - I am comparing to previous seasons at the AMEX. The atmosphere at the AMEX was much better previously, and so there should be no reason why we can't replicate that same atmosphere now.

We have the best chance we have ever had of reaching the top league since our brief spell there before I was born, and I think we should be doing more to push the team on. Hopefully we do in the last few home games of the season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't disagree. But how many "noisy types" are being priced out at over £30 a pop? When you know the ground won't sell out, charge £15 and maybe then some of the "noisy types" will return.

One of the very points I made to him on Twitter that he didn't have an answer to. Price it cheap and fans will turn up. Charlton away last season when we were still in great danger of going down did kids for quid and, far from the away end being taken over by silent 10 year olds, it was the second best away atmosphere after Fulham. Naylor discounts Sheffield Weds for the sake of trying to stick to the point of his article but it proves our higher gates are when there's a ticket offer on.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Mullery used to complain in the 70s that the Goldstone was too quiet, so it's nothing new.

As Barber has said, our fans are, on the whole, fairly affluent, and with that are possibly somewhat reserved?

Solution, stick all the singers in the centre of the north stand would be a start.

Jan 30, 2008
I'm shocked at the sensitivity and the level of denial from so many posters. But at least there are some views from the other side in the mix as well.

The atmosphere this season at the AMEX has been shocking this season. I am not comparing that to other clubs - I am comparing to previous seasons at the AMEX. The atmosphere at the AMEX was much better previously, and so there should be no reason why we can't replicate that same atmosphere now.

We have the best chance we have ever had of reaching the top league since our brief spell there before I was born, and I think we should be doing more to push the team on. Hopefully we do in the last few home games of the season.
Fair comment, unfortunately its like being told Father Christmas doesn't exist for some on here
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Mullery used to complain in the 70s that the Goldstone was too quiet, so it's nothing new.

As Barber has said, our fans are, on the whole, fairly affluent, and with that are possibly somewhat reserved?

Solution, stick all the singers in the centre of the north stand would be a start.
How about attracting some unreserved fans instead of the leafy werther originals, if that's what Barber has described our support as can we start singing "Swing low "
Regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here