Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor slags off Amex support

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It was a very good read, you explained this better than I could. Well done. The Roar boys, or rather Al, have been sticking up for Naylor but I think you've put the other side of the argument very well indeed.

Somebody disagreed with Naylor on the Roar today....

Although I do love the show, I got that feeling with David Burke.

Absolutely. Burke was a bit of a roar hero, it seemed.

As for Naylor, he should log into the BBS to see how much palace fans have been moaning about their own 'poor support' this year.

I haven't listened to this week's yet but I will on podcast when it's there. What I will say about the boys, having done 2 shows now, is that they have 60 minutes to fill each week which would be really hard if guests turned them down or they had a policy of every guest having the same opinion.

Burke is an interesting one. I wasn't dead against him on arrival and was interested in how we said recruitment worked, particularly under Oscar, which is all the show presented. It took a while before the poor recruitment reflected in poor results because Oscar was such a good coach. When we had that nightmare summer just after Oscar left the condemnation was fairly unanimous.

You're also allowed to change your opinion, most human beings will over time. I wasn't the greatest Paul Barber fan in the world for quite a long time but I actually think the club has been led excellently this season by him and his team and I'm happy to put that on record.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When Andy Naylor wrote an article the week before in the Argus saying that the changes to kick off times, especially for the Forest match, were unreasonable and the club should at least offer free coach travel there was a deafening silence as a response.

As I posted when [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] made the same observation a couple of days back: that article was a week after the very same discussion on NSC when the same suggestion re: cash/coaches was both made and discussed (happy to post the link when I'm not just on a phone).

In short: it was old non-news that NSC had already long moved on from.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As I posted when [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] made the save observation a couple of days back: that article was a week after the very same discussion on NSC when the same suggestion re: cash/coaches was both made and discussed (happy to post the link when I'm not just on a phone).

In short: it was old non-news that NSC had already long moved on from.

Agree with you. I think it was me who suggested it!

There has also been lengthy correspondence with PB on the very issue.

Last edited:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Suspect there would be a 17 page thread on the fans' message board.

The reporting up here in both the MEN and the Echo is very one eyed though. As such it's difficult to take very seriously.

His comments about the Palace support were inflammatory, but probably less inaccurate than his opening line where he claimed the Albion's away support is the best in this division.

I'm not trying to be a Naylor apologist nor his hangman. He's neither Oscar Wilde nor Garry Bushell, probably somewhere in the middle.

But being in the middle can make you wrong on two counts, just look at the BBC, accused of both left wing bias and being part of the establishment.

It was a poor report at best,
he wanted to create a reaction and he certainly achieved that.
Naylor lost it for me when he said our attendance against Reading was poor but was making excuses for Hull who attracted a crowd of nearly 8,000 less.
He is the Sami Hyypia of journalists.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agree with you. I think it was me who suggested it!

There has also been lengthy correspondence with PB on the very issue.

Cheers . ElP. I guess PB is sympathetic to original idea of subsidising away travel with the extra Sky cash like various NSC posters and subsequent Naylor column but.... ? Yep ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Using what entrance and time does AN normally appear at The Amex?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It will be very disappointing if three points against Burnley is greeted by the usual 88 minute stampede to the exits.

Yeah, I don't think I'd even be able to cheer the final whistle because other people left early.

Hopefully what he has done is to create a great atmosphere for the burnley game.

Yeah, I know on Saturday at the forefront of my mind is going to be an article Andy Naylor wrote almost two weeks ago.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That's what I was trying to say. Can understand some needing to leave on the final whistle for midweek matches. Surely not necessary for this crucial game - what message does it send to the players?

To quote some on here there is no message, the players are completely unphased by such actions and 'can't even see' that people have left because they are so focused on the game.

That said, I expect more people to set aside their fascination with getting the first train and make a big decision(for them) to stay for the final whistle, depending on the score of course. There have been a greatly increased number of people staying behind after the game for food and drink in the concourses lately, but that's to be expected with our position I guess.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just watched a bit of Millwall v Burton on TV.

6th against 1st, Millwall with every chance of a play off spot even if Wigan seem to be sewing up the second automatic position. A win would be huge for Millwall and they're 2 up at half time. Yet the ground is, as always, two thirds empty, and the crowd is so quiet, the TV microphones picked up the Burton keeper calling Steve Morison a "****ing prick".

This is the Den, FFS. If there's no atmosphere there, what hope do other grounds have?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here