Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor has 10 suggestions for the Albion..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
  1. Disagree. If we were playing well and scoring goals, Stockdale would be good enough. If Walton is ready let him play cup games, and if successful he can compete for the number 1 slot. Successful sides score goals, they’re not always built from the back.
  2. Disagree. An improved left back would be good, but they don’t have to be proven at Ward/Bridge level, we can’t afford to spend money in every area of the pitch.
  3. Agree.
  4. Agree, we need to replace Teixeira.
  5. Disagree. If we get a creative midfield spark we may not be a side that uses wingers much, and we have Kaz and Solly.
  6. Agree.
  7. Agree.
  8. Agree.
  9. Disagree. If we had the improvements already covered, we’d be playing better and scoring goals, and we wouldn’t be constantly in need of extra leaders.
  10. Disagree. If you shoot for the stars, do you blow the entire transfer budget on the first signing and then stop? We will have a budget, and we should be spending all of it. It should be spent to give us the best chance of finishing as high as possible.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's all common sense, when it comes down to it. All clubs, managers and chairmen will make mistakes. What I don't want is excuses.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Baldock is the one that continues to baffle. As he stated he has always played in a 2 pronged strike force so what do we do.....Play him either on his own or out wide on the left.

Hard to disagree with any of these points, and yes, they are obvious, but to be fair, he has to fill space and sell a paper. I do feel that SB does have potential, and will score if he is played to his strengths. All too often, we have persisted with one mobile but pint-sized lone striker, with the inevitable result. If we can get the proverbial "big bustling striker" to join us, than SB will be able to feed off him and the goals may then flow.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great article by Naylor, I agree with all of his 10 points.

The only minor point I disagree with him over is I think we should keep Calde as a bench utility player. I don't think we can afford to lose his all-round skills, his commitment, enthusiasm or passion - we're already lacking in those qualities as a squad and if we got rid then found ourselves in a dogfight again we'd regret it.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
10 suggestions, 8 of them are "spend more money". Fair enough, and I'm not disagreeing with them, but we have to hope that Tony is on board with it as it's his money.

Oh, and FFP. In hindsight we sold our players at exactly the wrong time: expecting a continual tightening of transfer budgets so selling when the money was still available, then finding out that the budgets will be significantly loosened soon but not just yet.

We have two seasons of low spending before we can spend big money even if Tony wants to spend it. In the meantime we need to look abroad for signings, as other championship clubs won't be looking to sell their decent players during these budget-restricted times and instead will hang on to them until they can get some decent money for them. Although it does mean that there will be lots of players on the loan market (yeah, I know).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Its not a hard article to write, I also hate this dumming down style of writing and reporting it like a buzzfeed news story, he could offer a lot more insite than just stating the bleeding obvious.

This is also seen from a fans point of view. The board will also have their own view on things in regards to budget, what went wrong etc, I would rather he tried to get a little more information from the club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
  1. Disagree. If we were playing well and scoring goals, Stockdale would be good enough. If Walton is ready let him play cup games, and if successful he can compete for the number 1 slot. Successful sides score goals, they’re not always built from the back.
  2. Disagree. An improved left back would be good, but they don’t have to be proven at Ward/Bridge level, we can’t afford to spend money in every area of the pitch.
  3. Agree.
  5. Disagree. If we get a creative midfield spark we may not be a side that uses wingers much, and we have Kaz and Solly.
  6. Agree.
  7. Agree.
  8. Agree.
  9. Disagree. If we had the improvements already covered, we’d be playing better and scoring goals, and we wouldn’t be constantly in need of extra leaders.
  10. Disagree. If you shoot for the stars, do you blow the entire transfer budget on the first signing and then stop? We will have a budget, and we should be spending all of it. It should be spent to give us the best chance of finishing as high as possible.
AN has hit the nail on the gead unlike your post.

1. All succesful clubs build from a solid defence.
2. Nobody is suggesting an international rated left back but a competant one that we have signed permenantly.
5 In order to supply the front men with opportunities we ned a new wide man who can provide crosses and score goals a la Buckley, Pennant or at a higher level Andros Townsend.
9. As pointed out on the radio by Guy Butters we have nobody geeing up the players a la Cullip Oatway Carpenter if they dont do their job and getting at the ref if he isng doing his effectively equally and fairly.

Most of what AN says is obvious and common sense but perhaps the hierarchy need to see it in black and white print to act.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
  3. Agree.
  6. Agree.
  7. Agree.
  8. Agree.

Agree

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
And if Bloom and Barber think otherwise we'll end up with scratching around in August for cast offs and loans whilst Bloom bullshits us with the same as last August, are we still pleasantly surprised by last August's transfers BTW ?

Blooms annual statement about putting together a squad to challenge for top 6 always seems to come just before season ticket renewal time.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Its not a hard article to write, I also hate this dumming down style of writing and reporting it like a buzzfeed news story, he could offer a lot more insite than just stating the bleeding obvious.

This is also seen from a fans point of view. The board will also have their own view on things in regards to budget, what went wrong etc, I would rather he tried to get a little more information from the club.

:dunce::shootself

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

It may well be dumbed down but at least it is now being discussed in mainstream media as opposed to online forums. There's nothing in the article that hasn't been discussed on here for 18 months or more but it is now harder for the club to hide from the obvious issues and problems. The Argus isn't the force it once was but its readership is massive compared to NSC and The Albion news is a major reason people still buy it.

It's a good start, and it's at the right time. Just needs the club to act quickly now.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
By Naylor's standard, a decent summary. I agree with most. However, it would be good to see some more insight on strategy...

...for example...

More teams have reverted to 4-4-2 this season (Leicester; Bournemouth with some success recently). I think CH has to decide now whether he will play 1 or 2 up front. If 1, it has to be a big and mobile goalscorer a la Ulloa and we may need to invest the majority of the transfer and incremental wage budget to bring them in. If 2 (with Baldock the 2nd striker in my view) then a less mobile target man (upgrade on COG) may do the job, at less cost. This determines the hierarchy of the summer's transfer strategy. The rest is about getting the best players for the money to fill the missing holes. Truth is, we have been ok at the back/midfield (when fit), goalscoring has to be the priority.

PG

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wonder how significant it will prove that our season has ended a month earlier than usual? Play-off teams tend to focus their energies on the promotion battle as opposed to getting contracts sorted out.

It's hard to disagree with a lot of what Naylor is saying there, and it pretty much involves wholesale playing changes. I think that extra month might prove handy!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I hope TB PB and CH sit down after the season have decent targets and go and get them. Another summer like last and we wont be so lucky....

I am fervently hoping that they are not waiting until after the season, I would demand and hopefully expect that a good portion of that research and discussion has already happened.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
In an ideal world of course all that is suggested would be great. There are just the issues though of player availability and cost. This is a bit like a list for Father Christmas. It is nice to dream but it never all arrives !!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The whole issue revolves around the man who is going to sign the cheques so I'm pleased that Tony Bloom has been at recent games to see our shortcomings in person. I really hope he shares our frustrations at how this season has panned out and recognises that we lack quality and a proper cutting edge across the pitch.

I suspect that TB will be unimpressed that our fate was almost out of our control and in the hands of other teams, so determined not to be in that position again. I know the tone for the season was largely set during Hyypia's reign and we need to cut Hughton some slack until he gets more of his own players - but I do hope that TB will still ask some searching questions of Hughton's recent performance which has been a bit too predictable.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No need for ten points by Naylor. One will do.

How many of our current first team would get in any of the top 6 teams?

Therein lies the problem. I can only think of 2 Ince and Kayal and even then they'd be fringe players.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wonder how significant it will prove that our season has ended a month earlier than usual? Play-off teams tend to focus their energies on the promotion battle as opposed to getting contracts sorted out.

I was wondering that this morning - both of the last 2 seasons we've had an extended season (not as extended as we'd have liked) with the playoff daliances, and that HAS had a knock on effect to our planning for the following season (partly from a time perspective, but also from a 'Which Division will we be in?' perspective) so recruitment was delayed.

This year we're clear where we'll be next time, AND we will finish at the end of the normal season. Let's hope we can kick on with our recruitment early as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here