Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor has 10 suggestions for the Albion..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The big issue for AN to approach is why does CH persist with 1 lone striker when recent seasonx have shown that the succesful, clubs played 2. I can understand Hyppia trying it as per the continent but not CH.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Usually one of the first to jump on Naylor's back but this article is very much a piece of art, perfection, for once in my life I can say well done Andy Naylor. :clap2:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I was wondering that this morning - both of the last 2 seasons we've had an extended season (not as extended as we'd have liked) with the playoff daliances, and that HAS had a knock on effect to our planning for the following season (partly from a time perspective, but also from a 'Which Division will we be in?' perspective) so recruitment was delayed.

This year we're clear where we'll be next time, AND we will finish at the end of the normal season. Let's hope we can kick on with our recruitment early as a result.

I think this is partially correct, although the real reason for the delay is the change of manager.

Being in the play-offs shouldn't affect the planning because you just plan for both outcomes, the board and manager should know the retained list and what they will be targeting long before the season ends, regardless of the season outcome.

I think it's pretty clear now that last season was all done on the hoof. I don't think it was entirely Burke's fault because of the manager situation, but the Ward debacle was embarrassing for everyone.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
2. Nobody is suggesting an international rated left back but a competant one that we have signed permanantly.
To quote AN, "one with the qualities of Bridge or Ward" .......... sounds pretty close to internationally rated to me - and da**ed expensive!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think he was referring to the ability to both defend and get forward .equally well. I am sure there are a few left backs capable of that, not that we could hope to sign him, like Tyrone Mings not an international.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The only thing I would argue with is accepting that one up front is the best bet for getting you promoted. Time and again successful clubs show that you need two strikers on the pitch playing in tandem. It puts more emphasis on the quality of midfield to compensate for lesser numbers (and/or go with 3 at the back) but our chances of going up are considerably reduced by playing a lone striker.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Pretty much agree with all that AN has written - looks like NSC should be getting his fees though as it's what most have been saying for some time.
Also agree with what has been written above in that we've got an extra month this year to get things sorted out - we've also (hopefully) got a manager in place who will still be here at the beginning of next season.
Let's hit the ground running this season with a settled team, clear objectives and,most of all, some genuine passion,commitment and desire from the players.
I'm already looking forward to 2015/16 - we can learn a lot from our shortcomings this season - I just hope we do

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All those promoted from this division last season and those likely this season play 2 up front. Hopefully if TB or PB have any input into the players coming in they can convince CH.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think he was referring to the ability to both defend and get forward .equally well. I am sure there are a few left backs capable of that, not that we could hope to sign him, like Tyrone Mings not an international.
Maybe. I read it as being of their standard, though.
Tyrone Mings would be excellent, but no way can I see Ipswich selling - they turned down £3M for him a year ago.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd look to remember that good sides aren't stuffed to the rafters with players of the highest quality, but players of high quality in just the right places. I don't imagine us with the cash to spend insanely, so 3 key signings, alongside a few others mixed with charachter and potential, can turn us around. Leadership is key from front to back, and without that this season we've struggled. The players we have aren't tripe. They just need some people in charge. Then, with that, it's largely about momentum.

One rock at the back at least half as good as Upson.
One goalscoring midfielder with an engine.
One difficult to find striker with a good mix of might and potency - another forward is intensely necessary, but a gamble on a season long loan for a pacy top flight youngster could be a good. substitute.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Maybe. I read it as being of their standard, though.
Tyrone Mings would be excellent, but no way can I see Ipswich selling - they turned down £3M for him a year ago.

As I said no hope. I do not know anyting about him but other Championships are looking at Charles Dunne at Blackpool .so perhaps worth a look, although we may have already because it is reported in most papers we are after Andrew Waddington an 18 yr old midfielder at Blackpool?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
When it comes to signings in the Summer I wouldnt be suprised to see a few coming in from Ireland or the players having Irish connections.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'd look to remember that good sides aren't stuffed to the rafters with players of the highest quality, but players of high quality in just the right places. I don't imagine us with the cash to spend insanely, so 3 key signings, alongside a few others mixed with charachter and potential, can turn us around. Leadership is key from front to back, and without that this season we've struggled. The players we have aren't tripe. They just need some people in charge. Then, with that, it's largely about momentum.

One rock at the back at least half as good as Upson.
One goalscoring midfielder with an engine.
One difficult to find striker with a good mix of might and potency - another forward is intensely necessary, but a gamble on a season long loan for a pacy top flight youngster could be a good. substitute.

No, no, no. We need to stop relying on loans for key positions.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Its not a hard article to write, I also hate this dumming down style of writing and reporting it like a buzzfeed news story, he could offer a lot more insite than just stating the bleeding obvious.

Bit unfair.The consensus he's received on here for the 10 arguments shows how it chimes with fan opinion and how skilfully he's presented his argument. As for more club info, he writes 2 lengthy opinion pieces for the paper (and many other pieces) every single week throughout a season and this largely summarises points he's made before at length and in more detail in his Monday or Thursday columns in the Argus..

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Agreed with AN's comments, as has been said, most are obvious.

I am also sure that the club will be in agreement. The big issue is not knowing what the issues are so much as actually implementing them.

As an example, every club wants to do business early in the transfer window, but players and agents won't commit as they try and hold out for a better club/deal. The club needs to take heed of AN's comments for sure, but the way the Argus presents it suggests that "oh, just sign them early, sorted" doesn't tell the whole story and that is the real battle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here