[Football] Nations League & other international football, October 2022

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
When the Nations League was first conceived, the idea was that it would reduce the number of meaningless friendlies.

England's relegation means we can now look forward to the footballing powerhouses of Georgia, Kazakhstan and Montenegro.

Still, I'm sure we'll hear from Southgate and the FA that there are no easy games in international football anymore. :rolleyes:

It also means we’ll be seeded lower for major tournaments, making the cakewalk qualification a thing of the past. Nice little gift for his successor come December

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Eddie Howe is England manager before the end of the season. Despite spending fortunes, Newcastle have only won one game so far this season, against Forest, and I don’t think it will take much of an excuse for the Saudi’s to give him the chop being experts in that field.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For starters get rid of that f*****g stupid jumble sale of an England shirt. It looks ridiculous.

From a distance it looks like a Spurs kit from the 80s or 90s. How England could do with an Ardiles or Hoddle.

My Ecuadorian support grows stronger by the game :lol:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry if it’s already been covered but can anyone name a player who has been out of form (not picked?) at club level but shines in an England shirt?

So why do we pick Maguire, dier, shaw, Walker, sterling, and saka (out of position)?

What does that say about the rest of the English players?

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Probably the most talented squad of players we’ve ever had (plus overrated haircut Grealish) and this clown in charge, it’s almost criminal

Phil Foden is so overrated. Yes, he does create chances here and there but his goalscoring record for both club and country is shocking.

Two goals scored so far this season and we'll be into October (he won't play against Germany on Monday).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When the Nations League was first conceived, the idea was that it would reduce the number of meaningless friendlies.

England's relegation means we can now look forward to the footballing powerhouses of Georgia, Kazakhstan and Montenegro.

Still, I'm sure we'll hear from Southgate and the FA that there are no easy games in international football anymore. :rolleyes:

Well, 5 games 2 points.. clearly the group was too strong. Maybe Kazakhstan is a better level for your boys.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Sorry if it’s already been covered but can anyone name a player who has been out of form (not picked?) at club level but shines in an England shirt?

So why do we pick Maguire, dier, shaw, Walker, sterling, and saka (out of position)?

What does that say about the rest of the English players?

it’s not what it says ‘about’ the rest of the English players, more ‘to’ them. Basically it doesn’t matter how well you play for your clubs you won’t get picked. To me this is unforgivable by Southgate, this alone shows he’s not fit to be the manager, especially as he said he would only pick form players. That is just dishonest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Sam Wallace sums up the age old England issue, where’s the CM playmaker? Other countries always seem to have one or two.

As we all know, Southgate is far too conservative. Then he compounds this by picking central defenders who are too slow and not good enough - meaning we then have to play with two holding midfielders to ensure we don't get taken apart in the final third. This leads to a huge gap in central midfield, and the only way to progress the ball forwards is via the wingers/wing-backs - who in turn are too easily isolated. Decent teams play the ball through the lines quickly. We've got the players to do this, but somehow Southgate either won't pick them, or sticks to a formation which makes that type of football VERY difficult.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I very much doubt it. If we were going to bin him, the time would've been after the 4-0 defeat to Hungary.

I was wondering more whether he would walk.

I very much doubt it and perhaps it would leave too much of a shambles for someone else but with our current form, formation and odd choice of players...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It should happen - but won’t. Not enough time to prep, no one would take the job now and the FA can’t afford to sack them all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports