National Anthem with pride

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I don't really care what the song is, this shouldn't be about whether you're a supporter of the monarchy or not, it's just a little sign of pride that you get to represent your country, you belt it out with every ounce of you because every fan in the crowd would give an arm to be in your position. It's a small thing but Roy getting them all to sing it does claw back some respect and pride from a national team that many ordinary folk have become alienated from in recent times.

+1...

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Jesus Christ. So singing the national anthem makes you Tory.You couldn't make that up.
:rolleyes:

Miss the point why don't you. Of course it doesn't mean "vote conservative", my only point is that it is political, and assumes every English person is a submissive monarchist.

Jerusaelm's a fantastic moving one, even Land of Hope and Glory is fine.

Anyway, when asked, my son thought our national anthem was "Sussex by the Sea". That's my boy...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Agreed. I don't hold any particular strong pro or anti Monarchy views but think that the National Anthem should stir pride in the Country as a whole and not the Monarchy as ours does. Jerusalem ticks the boxes for me, I love that song and all the images it conjures.

And where is Jerusalem?

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
:rotlf::lol::bigwave::lolol::lolol:are you sure your english
Jerusalem for me brings images of glory, ambition and national pride. GSTQ just conjures ones of dreariness and submission; something that this country shouldn't be associated with - after all, we never, never, never shall be slaves!

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Jerusalem is actually a very English song/poem/hymn!
Written by William Blake:

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountain green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

Surely you can see the meaning in those lyrics?

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
never, never, never shall be slaves!
these are the lyrics i am having trouble putting into william blakes poem , from your original post on page one:facepalm:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
never, never, never shall be slaves!
these are the lyrics i am having trouble putting into william blakes poem from your post

I see the misunderstanding, but I said in another post that I was referencing it from Rule Britannia - another of the major songs in the Last Night of the Proms, also mentioned briefly in Post #7...

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I support England, but as a republican feel absolutely alienated by our national anthem. It might as well say "Vote Conservative". I'm with Gary Neville on this one.

All this stuff about "you must sing" is basically "you must be a monarchist to be English". So that's Free Speech, eh?

absolutely this

kano

Jun 17, 2011
If it makes people find imagined slights and reasons not to do something then i think GSTQ is perfect for our country to be fair :D

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I wish the England fans would stop singing the dirge during a game-the team needs lifting and supporting ffs! Are they the only set of fans from around the world who can only manage their own anthem during a game? The great escape and that other load of shite the 'band' insists on ruining every little while during a game need booting out too.

As much as the team and FA need to start again, so do our fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports