National Anthem with pride

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You don't need to sing the national anthem to have pride in your country.

See Spain.

[yt]IudjF2E7jyg[/yt]

Yeah, easy to see why though.............it reminds them of the good times under Franco..............although they did stop using his lyrics in 1978.

To be fair it suits the Spanish not have lyrics now.............the conquered Basques and Catalans would hardly sing lyrics extolling the Spanish Fatherland.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I support England, but as a republican feel absolutely alienated by our national anthem. It might as well say "Vote Conservative". I'm with Gary Neville on this one.

All this stuff about "you must sing" is basically "you must be a monarchist to be English". So that's Free Speech, eh?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I'll sing the national anthem when I need to, but I still believe it should be Jerusalem or one of the other classics that gets sung heartily at the last night of the Proms.

I'll sing the national anthem when I need to, but I still believe it should be Jerusalem or one of the other classics that gets sung heartily at the last night of the Proms.

Agreed. I don't hold any particular strong pro or anti Monarchy views but think that the National Anthem should stir pride in the Country as a whole and not the Monarchy as ours does. Jerusalem ticks the boxes for me, I love that song and all the images it conjures.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Agreed. I don't hold any particular strong pro or anti Monarchy views but think that the National Anthem should stir pride in the Country as a whole and not the Monarchy as ours does. Jerusalem ticks the boxes for me, I love that song and all the images it conjures.

Jerusalem for me brings images of glory, ambition and national pride. GSTQ just conjures ones of dreariness and submission; something that this country shouldn't be associated with - after all, we never, never, never shall be slaves!

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I support England, but as a republican feel absolutely alienated by our national anthem. It might as well say "Vote Conservative". I'm with Gary Neville on this one.

All this stuff about "you must sing" is basically "you must be a monarchist to be English". So that's Free Speech, eh?
Jesus Christ. So singing the national anthem makes you Tory.You couldn't make that up.
:rolleyes:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Jerusalem for me brings images of glory, ambition and national pride. GSTQ just conjures ones of dreariness and submission; something that this country shouldn't be associated with - after all, we never, never, never shall be slaves!

I think you'll find never shall be slaves is rule britannia.

I was at a funeral on Friday and Jerusalem was sung.

It suddenly struck me that the meaning of the words was open to a variety of interpretations. Try this one ...

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountain green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark satanic mills?

Interesting questions, to which the answer is ... NO.

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

That's better. We'll do the job ourselves.

A perfectly reasonable sentiment for a national anthem.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I would be quite happy to see an England team not sing a note of the national anthem if I felt that they played with pride. I don't feel that it is the sole indicator of pride in being asked to represent your country. However, given the indifferent rubbish that the England team has put out over the past decade and the sullen way in which the players go about their business it is good to see the pride back in the squad. I would love to know what Roy has been saying to them but keep it up, whatever it is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Spot on. Total respect to all those who have the guts to stand there with their mouths shut as opposed to mouthing the monarchist dirge, they're the real patriots. True Englishmen should stay silent during the anthems until we get our own English one.

Load of old bollocks.

Sing it or don't sing it, believe it or don't believe it, I for one will be belting it out loud and proud without thinkink of a hidden meaning, because at this time it is our anthem.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I think you'll find never shall be slaves is rule britannia.

I know that, I was just referencing another of the songs from the last night of the proms.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Load of old bollocks.

Sing it or don't sing it, believe it or don't believe it, I for one will be belting it out loud and proud without thinkink of a hidden meaning, because at this time it is our anthem.

Good boy. Can't believe these idiots who see the anthem as some sort of hidden agenda.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
If that's the criterion, can I put in a word for What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?

If you do then I'll stick you in a longboat 'til you're sobre.

:jester:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Load of old bollocks.

With you there Hillian. Oh by the way Rooney is not playing as i believe he is a Republican ?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I don't really care what the song is, this shouldn't be about whether you're a supporter of the monarchy or not, it's just a little sign of pride that you get to represent your country, you belt it out with every ounce of you because every fan in the crowd would give an arm to be in your position. It's a small thing but Roy getting them all to sing it does claw back some respect and pride from a national team that many ordinary folk have become alienated from in recent times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports