Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My story from the boro game yesterday....

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Hello all,

I just wanted to share with you, something that happened yesterday at the game.

My grandparents both attended the game as their first visit to the Amex. This was part of their 59th wedding anniversary celebrations. With my grandad being in a wheelchair, they were sat in front of the west stand, at the north stand end. My parents took them both to their entrance before joining us in our usual seats. From there, a steward met them and they discovered they had actually gone to the wrong entrance. The steward insisted that she personally took them to the correct entrance and pushed the wheelchair, to save my nan from having to do so.

Once they were in their seat, the steward then went and got a blanket for my grandad to put over his legs. Speaking to them after the game, they said the steward returned 3 or 4 times during the game to check they were ok and to see if they needed anything.

To top all this off, whilst chatting to them, the steward discovered that it was their wedding anniversary and I would assume took their names from their tickets and subsequently arranged for a half time message to be read out, giving their names and that it was their 59th wedding anniversary.

I just wanted to share this on here as i think it is a superb example of some of the exceptional people we must have working for our club, it made a great day of theirs even more memorable. If I can find the name of the steward I will be sending an email, outlining just what she did yesterday.

.......obviously Calderon helped with making the day memorable too!!!!

Sb

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Brilliant mate, reading that has made me smile. Congratulations to your grandparents and heard the message at HT.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can you remember the steward's number on her jacket? If so, the club will be able to identify her and pass on your thanks.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
:)
Lovely story. Well done that steward and congratulations to your grandparents too. What better place to celebrate! x

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
can I suggest that you copy your post to Derek Chapman because whilst he's got a lot to sort out at the top, I'm sure he'll want to hear of such good customer service.

Last edited:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Personally I've had no bad experiences of stewarding at all at the Amex - always found them to be helpful, friendly and unobtrusive. Good to hear stories like this.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
great shout! there is an indian(im trying to say this without being racist) looking gentleman steward in the north/east who is an absolute gem. he goes out of his way to make the matchday experience for those in the wheelchair section a great day out.its a shame some of these stewards that really do a wonderful job do not get recognition.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That's excellent. Incidentally, a Middlesbrough fan contacted Five Live last night to praise the Brighton stewards and the way their fans were treated on Saturday - all part of a debate they were having about the heavy-handed treatment football supporters frequently suffer on away trips. Nice to hear we're setting a good example.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
This has got Steven Spielberg written all over it. Tilda Swinton playing the steward, Kevin Spacey as the half time announcer, Anthony Hopkins and Dame Maggie Smith as SB005's grandparents, Javier Bardem as Inigo Calderon.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Fantastic story SB005, congratulations to your Grandparents. I am in the South West disabled area, and the stewards there are brilliant and will always help if they can.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Lovely story.. Made me :) and Congratulations to your grand parents

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
It's normally the negative things that get reported so it's so good to hear when the club (and members of staff) get it right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here