Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My respect for TB keeps on growing

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If the Chairman was in the country rather than being in Aus for all of January, it would have helped a lot - And that from the Argus.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10944001.Albion_chairman_in_Australia_as_Grabban_deal_talks_go_on/

We've had three from the first team squad be happy to leave this January too. I do wonder how many more feel this way currently.
If some are unhappy (for whatever reason..) then i'm thinking he should really be here. January was always going to have activity with getting some cover in at the least; The Grabban point above shows he can't or won't leave it just to Barber.

I was reading this thread and felt the need to log on because of the rubbish I read on this thread. This comment was the first. So much over dramaticising. Three of the first team squad happy to leave. We have two players who when everyone is fit are back up players leaving and then a transfer request from one of our key players. Hardly a key reason for flying back over. This board is at its worst in situations like this.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If we can't buy players of Grabben's pedigree (lets face it, not great) whilst having the highest attendance in the league and being the most expensive team to watch then we may well be in this league for a very long time. Lets hope the new fans are up for the long haul.

Sorry, I am trying to understand your point, but am struggling. What's your suggestion? Are you saying Grabban has no pedigree? In which case, are you saying we should throw money at him to persuade him to come to Brighton? That sounds very like what Portsmouth did. To be honest, you might be better off supporting a Man City or Chelsea judging by your comments on here.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It sounds like the Grabban deal has stalled for now because TB is refusing to be played by the agent. Seems we want to buy players to improve this team but not at any cost. If that's the case I couldn't agree with his approach more. It's a sign - along with his investment in infrastructure, commitment to FFP etc - that we're determined to build a club with a healthy, long term, sustainable future. If that means we win the race a little more slowly, but with a damn site more integrity, then I'm all for it. I really do love this football club.

One of the best posts I've read on here. There has been so many people panicking about the club or annoyed at Grabban's agent. Tony Bloom has done so much for this club. They obviously wanted Grabban but if he's not going to sign for the money we think he's worth, then we absolutely shouldn't go higher. I trust the club to do what's right. On the other hand, if Grabban and/or his agent think they can get a better deal somewhere else, good luck to them. If he signs, then great but there's no point in getting carried away if he doesn't as we'll try to sign another player. That's football.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I agree with the op but....... Did Bloom just show his hand that let Barnes and El-Abd go without replacements? I believe he did. Although I'll reserve judgement until after the transfer window.
I love TB, don't get me wrong, shrewd, intelligent, fiscal, loyal, fan!! But.... I don't think the ins and out of these transfers are being delt with by bloom. Sure he gets the final say on a sale or a bid, but what if he sanctions the sales on the promise that the bids will work and replacements will sign,....and then they don't? What then? I guess we'll find out in due course. Burke is in charge of recruitment, Bloom holds the purse strings. So yes, huge respect to Tony Bloom for running such a tight ship that is clearly sailing in the right direction. But his first officer and chief steward may be cocking things up!

Last edited:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I agree with the op but....... Did Bloom just show his hand that let Barnes and El-Abd go without replacements? I believe he did. Although I'll reserve judgement until after the transfer window.
I love TB, don't get me wrong, shrewd, intelligent, fiscal, loyal, fan!! But.... I don't think the ins and out of these transfers are being delt with by bloom. Sure he gets the say on a sale or a bid, but what if he sanctions the sales on the promise that the bids will work and replacements will sign,....and then they don't? What then?
I guess we'll find out in due course.

What hand was there to show with Barnes? He would've walk for sweet fa in June! TB/Club received £750k ish instead of **** all!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I was reading this thread and felt the need to log on because of the rubbish I read on this thread. This comment was the first. So much over dramaticising. Three of the first team squad happy to leave. We have two players who when everyone is fit are back up players leaving and then a transfer request from one of our key players. Hardly a key reason for flying back over. This board is at its worst in situations like this.

Not being in the country during one of the most important periods in a club's season can only suggest that TB's business interests in Australia are of more importance, which is fair enough considering that it is those interests which make the money that allows him to invest in BHAFC.

It still can't make negotiations over transfers easy and could result in missed opportunities.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
What hand was there to show with Barnes? He would've walk for sweet fa in June! TB/Club received £750k ish instead of **** all!

Ok, well personally I liked Barnes and although 750k is ok for someone out of contract in the summer, we could have let him walk if it ment he helped us to a play off spot. This is the thing I never understood with fan anger over Murray. Although I understand the hatred over the club he went to, imagine if we'd have cashed in, and he wouldn't have played the season run in. Would we have got out of league 1 so easily? Maybe, maybe not. When we are short on strikers, Barnes was arguably playing some of his best football for us. We let him go, and the bid 350k more for a striker that is not exactly a step up, and what's more, he doesn't even sign. I think Blooms boys have let us and Tony down a bit. Although as I said, I'll wait til the end of season for final judgement.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Ok, well personally I liked Barnes and although 750k is ok for someone out of contract in the summer, we could have let him walk if it ment he helped us to a play off spot. This is the thing I never understood with fan anger over Murray. Although I understand the hatred over the club he went to, imagine if we'd have cashed in, and he wouldn't have played the season run in. Would we have got out of league 1 so easily? Maybe, maybe not. When we are short on strikers, Barnes was arguably playing some of his best football for us. We let him go, and the bid 350k more for a striker that is not exactly a step up, and what's more, he doesn't even sign. I think Blooms boys have let us and Tony down a bit. Although as I said, I'll wait til the end of season for final judgement.

Wouldn't necessarily disagree CS but business is business.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree 100% with the way in which TB is running the club and wouldnt argue for 1 minute about not over spending etc but having supported the club for some 65 years I cannot remember, off the top of my head of any player that has chosen to sign for us when there have been other clubs in the running and they have a choice of another club or us, it always seems that we miss out. I am sure that there must be examples of such occasions but I cant think of one.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I agree 100% with the way in which TB is running the club and wouldnt argue for 1 minute about not over spending etc but having supported the club for some 65 years I cannot remember, off the top of my head of any player that has chosen to sign for us when there have been other clubs in the running and they have a choice of another club or us, it always seems that we miss out. I am sure that there must be examples of such occasions but I cant think of one.
CMS chose us over Leicester, QPR and possibly west Ham.....that is the only one I can think of...

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Not being in the country during one of the most important periods in a club's season can only suggest that TB's business interests in Australia are of more importance, which is fair enough considering that it is those interests which make the money that allows him to invest in BHAFC.

It still can't make negotiations over transfers easy and could result in missed opportunities.

What a load of baloney !!! Most of my company's client's are overseas - does not prevent us doing business - Skype - conference calls - text - email - with these tools most things are possible blooming marvelous I say !

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I don't see why we need him with CMS and Hoskins coming back......that means we already have 3 strikers, when we play one up front.......perfect.

Imagine being CMS, spend a year getting better, and when you just about start training, the club trys to buy another striker......how would you feel?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
CMS chose us over Leicester, QPR and possibly west Ham.....that is the only one I can think of...

Kuszczak is another; he had Ipswich after him.

We will have lost out on a number of players during the Withdean years, but these days we're an attractive proposition.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I don't see why we need him with CMS and Hoskins coming back......that means we already have 3 strikers, when we play one up front.......perfect.

Imagine being CMS, spend a year getting better, and when you just about start training, the club trys to buy another striker......how would you feel?

So what happens if Ulloa gets a red card today like at reading or gets another injury there are a lot of games in a short time before CMS gets anywhere near match fit

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
It sounds like the Grabban deal has stalled for now because TB is refusing to be played by the agent. Seems we want to buy players to improve this team but not at any cost. If that's the case I couldn't agree with his approach more. It's a sign - along with his investment in infrastructure, commitment to FFP etc - that we're determined to build a club with a healthy, long term, sustainable future. If that means we win the race a little more slowly, but with a damn site more integrity, then I'm all for it. I really do love this football club.

this. especially if (as suggested on another thread recently) that TB turned down £3m for LB from Sunderland.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The power lies with the agent & players not with the chairman, while Bloom and Barber go on about FFP all the other clubs ignoring it will snap up anyone decent
Right....let's go the 'Bolton' way and end up £165m in debt....good thinking...glad you're not chairman.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Agree pretty much. We've now sold two important players from the top end of our first eam squad and lost two more to injury, one for the season. We've signed a DS winger for arguably a similar fee to the pittance we got for Adam El-Abd and borrowed a serial loanee forward who has yet to impress any other club enough to sign him permanently. Like it or not, we have four big away games coming up and the squad looking a bit thin with none of our first choice wingers available if you include Conway with Buckley and Kaz. I don't see Obika as a natural option for Barnes or strong enough cover for Leo. We owe so much to TB and if Grabban's agent thinks he can play a Bloom, he's got another think coming. We just seem to have found ourselves very thin onthe ground player wise at a crucial time of the season at just the time when clubs and agents think theycan hold buying clubs to ransom. My impression is that Howe would rather have Grabban than £1.1m and I would rather we had not had a max £850k than let Ash and AEA go, then scrabble around to find someone eto spend it on.

Insightful and intelligent post. Agents have no concerns about the long term stability of the football clubs their clients are going to or coming from. They only care about their short term commissions on deals. Football agents are normally gifted communicators, they know how to strike a deal and have the gift of the gab but visually they are obese beached whales who rely on their fat mouths, blagging soul and profound lust for money to bring in the dollar. I don't care if we don't sign Grabban, if his agent has tried to push it and change the deal, I'm all behind our poker playing genius of a chairman in telling the f***ing little c*** of an agent to f*** right off. How dare they tour the Amex, the new training ground and potentially meet Oscar Garcia who is respected across the world as a player and coach and then start trying to milk us off for a better deal? I am proud that we're staying within the FFP and if that means Grabban and his agent FO then so be it. Sick of the parasites in this game.

This.....spot on!!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
What a load of baloney !!! Most of my company's client's are overseas - does not prevent us doing business - Skype - conference calls - text - email - with these tools most things are possible blooming marvelous I say !

Not the same though, is it? - different negotiating structure.

On a one to one basis the tools you mention are fine - in a selling or buying situation where there is active competition, not so clever - that's why international businesses have sales forces and negotiators that travel, so decisions can be made immediately - especially where the two parties are in such different timezones as the UK and Australia.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Agree pretty much. We've now sold two important players from the top end of our first eam squad and lost two more to injury, one for the season. We've signed a DS winger for arguably a similar fee to the pittance we got for Adam El-Abd and borrowed a serial loanee forward who has yet to impress any other club enough to sign him permanently. Like it or not, we have four big away games coming up and the squad looking a bit thin with none of our first choice wingers available if you include Conway with Buckley and Kaz. I don't see Obika as a natural option for Barnes or strong enough cover for Leo. We owe so much to TB and if Grabban's agent thinks he can play a Bloom, he's got another think coming. We just seem to have found ourselves very thin onthe ground player wise at a crucial time of the season at just the time when clubs and agents think theycan hold buying clubs to ransom. My impression is that Howe would rather have Grabban than £1.1m and I would rather we had not had a max £850k than let Ash and AEA go, then scrabble around to find someone eto spend it on.

Bottom line is you can't keep unhappy players.

Barnes would have left at the end of the season, there was no way he was signing another deal from his comments, so you either get £750k for him now and re invest on a player circa £1m or perhaps due to FFP maybe if we'd let him walk we would have had to try and replace him for £250-350k which is pretty unlikely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here