Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My respect for TB keeps on growing

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Hugo Rune - totally in agreement. Justice and fair play will out, spivy agents, greedy players and over spending clubs will suffer. Being totally forward thinking and pragmatic, TB has set the framework as to how clubs should be run in the future. He is as much a visionary as a pragmatist and we should be highly grateful he is at our helm. DK was brilliant at the time, as is TB now. We are blessed and perhaps karma really exists after we have been through.
Just a thought.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What is actually wrong with an agent taking time to get the best possible deal for his client though? It might be that we can't afford it, but that doesn't suddenly make the agent or player an evil money grabber.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is actually wrong with an agent taking time to get the best possible deal for his client though? It might be that we can't afford it, but that doesn't suddenly make the agent or player an evil money grabber.

Maybe we've been spoilt by players who've come to the Albion for something other than just the money. CMS could have got more elsewhere, Spanish Dave, Bruno, Upson too in all likelihood. I like to believe they believed they were joining a club on the up where they'd be a big part. Grabban and his agent seem to be chasing purely a big payday.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Maybe we've been spoilt by players who've come to the Albion for something other than just the money. CMS could have got more elsewhere, Spanish Dave, Bruno, Upson too in all likelihood. I like to believe they believed they were joining a club on the up where they'd be a big part. Grabban and his agent seem to be chasing purely a big payday.

If there is now other interest, it might just be he wants to see what other clubs have to say etc. I can imagine both QPR and Reading for example could put forward equally persuasive arguments about their plans for the future as us.

And also, without knowing what he is currently paid or what we are offering, its pretty impossible to say for sure he is just after a big pay day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What is actually wrong with an agent taking time to get the best possible deal for his client though?

it isnt, but the methods maybe. for instance waiting until a deal is about to be signed to increase demands, or as i understand it agents requiring payments direct from the clubs. its bizarre how agents can expect and get paid on both sides.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Personally speaking, I'm still upset about Ashley leaving, I really am. There have been a good few transfers going through over the past week (lots of strikers leaving and joining ) that have happened very quickly and efficiently; why should our deal for Grabban be different? We could have had him in for Derby tomorrow; what went wrong? He was only too eager to come to the Amex yesterday and have a sniff around but why no deal? It all points to an agent's sinister game and a chairman who will not compromise on his sustainable vision of how a football club should be run no matter if your name is Murray, Barnes or Grabban.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If there is now other interest, it might just be he wants to see what other clubs have to say etc. I can imagine both QPR and Reading for example could put forward equally persuasive arguments about their plans for the future as us.

The guy's talked turkey, agreed a deal, had a medical, met the tea lady. The time for finding out what other clubs have to say was before this point.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Personally speaking, I'm still upset about Ashley leaving, I really am. There have been a good few transfers going through over the past week (lots of strikers leaving and joining ) that have happened very quickly and efficiently; why should our deal for Grabban be different? We could have had him in for Derby tomorrow; what went wrong? He was only too eager to come to the Amex yesterday and have a sniff around but why no deal? It all points to an agent's sinister game and a chairman who will not compromise on his sustainable vision of how a football club should be run no matter if your name is Murray, Barnes or Grabban.

I just don't think you can necessarily blame the guy for exploring his options if other clubs with potentially more finances and a better chance of promotion show an interest.

It is a big decision for him. He might want to think it over, talk to his family etc.

Who is to say the deal we are offering is drastically better than what he is on at Bournemouth? He is first choice there, would he be at Brighton?

He may well be after a big pay day. He may well have back-tracked when on the verge of signing. But until we know that for sure, I'll reserve judgement.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Insightful and intelligent post. Agents have no concerns about the long term stability of the football clubs their clients are going to or coming from. They only care about their short term commissions on deals. Football agents are normally gifted communicators, they know how to strike a deal and have the gift of the gab but visually they are obese beached whales who rely on their fat mouths, blagging soul and profound lust for money to bring in the dollar. I don't care if we don't sign Grabban, if his agent has tried to push it and change the deal, I'm all behind our poker playing genius of a chairman in telling the f***ing little c*** of an agent to f*** right off. How dare they tour the Amex, the new training ground and potentially meet Oscar Garcia who is respected across the world as a player and coach and then start trying to milk us off for a better deal? I am proud that we're staying within the FFP and if that means Grabban and his agent FO then so be it. Sick of the parasites in this game.

You tell `em Hugo :clap:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I admire your generosity of spirit Walt. For someone who's ex-Palace with an ex-Palace agent you're cutting him a lot of slack.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Depends what other conditions they are trying to negotiate. As far as we can tell the sale price and his wages were agreed to in principle otherwise it wouldn't have got to this stage.

If they are trying to include preconditions and guarantees of a starting place it complicates things, and we cannot do that at the moment because Ulloa is our number one striker.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The agent is probably trying to exploit the rumoured interest from Reading et al. Lacks a bit of class if that is the case.

If we were the club potentially coming in and stealing a player at the last minute, not sure anyone would be saying we didn't want to sign them as they were a money-grabber who'd back-tracked on the other club.

Sadly just a symptom of modern football.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

If the Chairman was in the country rather than being in Aus for all of January, it would have helped a lot - And that from the Argus.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10944001.Albion_chairman_in_Australia_as_Grabban_deal_talks_go_on/

We've had three from the first team squad be happy to leave this January too. I do wonder how many more feel this way currently.
If some are unhappy (for whatever reason..) then i'm thinking he should really be here. January was always going to have activity with getting some cover in at the least; The Grabban point above shows he can't or won't leave it just to Barber.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Isn't this the point....it's all well and good gnashing teeth that we seem to be one of the few clubs adhering to FFP, but who is supposed to put up all the cash in the first place? I have 100% sympathy with TB if he simply does't want to lose more than circa £8m a year.

THIS^^ with massive piss off bells on. It's all relative; if the club put £150 on a season ticket and £3 on a pie or pint, people would kick off. Yes Bloom is wealthier than us (maybe all of us put together), but he's entitled to not lose his own money hand over fist, regardless of his love for the Albion, just like the rest of us. We can't have it both ways. I for one would rather enjoy the unpredictability (and affordability) of the Championship for 2, 5, 10, even 20 years, then end up a long-term Prem team, than go up this year and then bounce back and forth being ripped off by dickhead clubs, agents and TV companies, whilst loyal players like AEA get sidelined for nob-end mercenary tw@ts like Chamakh and Cameron fecking Jerome.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have 100% sympathy with TB if he simply does't want to lose more than circa £8m a year.

Oh, so do I! My point is simply that if other Chairmen are happy to lose than £8m pa, then unless the FL punish clubs that flout FFP, we'll always be at a disadvantage, s'all.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Regardless of ffp and regardless of what other clubs are doing, I for one am happy that we are trying to operate within our means. We see doing the right thing and given our brush with extinction and others consequences of overspending I am prepared to forego the perceived riches of the premier league and see where running a club properly can take us.worth any luck we can provide a sustainable model for other clubs to follow.

I am too. I apologise if my post has been interpreted as implying I'm unhappy. I'm not in any way...

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Kick on Tony, **** him if he don't like the terms & conditions :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here