Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray's back

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
What's the chance of B'muff letting a player from their 25 man squad go anywhere? They're in a relegation fight and would probably like to have the option of a player like Murray when it gets to the business end of the season.

That would definitely be Eddie Howe's argument, but on the other hand would a player who really wants to leave not have a negative effect on the overall squad morale, and therefore harm the chances of staying up?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What's the chance of B'muff letting a player from their 25 man squad go anywhere? They're in a relegation fight and would probably like to have the option of a player like Murray when it gets to the business end of the season.

Depends how committed Murray is to the cause as well. Who wants a player who doesn't want to play for you?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That would definitely be Eddie Howe's argument, but on the other hand would a player who really wants to leave not have a negative effect on the overall squad morale, and therefore harm the chances of staying up?

I said the same thing. Why take any kind of risk when you're scrapping for your lives and another £100m?

However, a 93-day loan can have a recall clause, although the clause can only come into effect after the first 28 days. So there is logic in letting Murray go out on loan if you have enough striker coverage and he doesn't feature in your immediate plans, particularly if you know he'll be getting game time and will be remaining sharp in the event that you do need to recall him due to other injuries and/or suspensions.

And before anyone asks, I know nothing more than I did a few weeks ago: he wants to come and we want him.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I said the same thing. Why take any kind of risk when you're scrapping for your lives and another £100m?

However, a 93-day loan can have a recall clause, although the clause can only come into effect after the first 28 days. So there is logic in letting Murray go out on loan if you have enough striker coverage and he doesn't feature in your immediate plans, particularly if you know he'll be getting game time and will be remaining sharp in the event that you do need to recall him due to other injuries and/or suspensions.

And before anyone asks, I know nothing more than I did a few weeks ago: he wants to come and we want him.

I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that should we sign him on loan there will be an agreement that they can't recall him but we have to stump up for a permanent deal in the summer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My only worry is that if Murray does come on loan, then Mr Perfect might just recall him at the last minute just to piss us off.

I don't imagine he'd get a cheery and motivated Glenn Murray back though if those were the circumstances.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

indeed. Seems to me its all up to Eddie Howe and Bmuff.

What I do hope is that the club didn't "hope" for the signing of FFS which meant they didn't sign the striker we need to fire us to the Prem because if they did it was ****ing stupid (if FFS doesnt sign)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that should we sign him on loan there will be an agreement that they can't recall him but we have to stump up for a permanent deal in the summer.

I'm not sure why Bournemouth would entertain no recall clause, particularly given the injuries they've had this year. Why risk the law of sod coming back and leaving your other strikers crocked with Murray banging goals in with us and Bournemouth unable to get him back?

Maybe if we did commit to a Summer purchase that would be enough, but I'm still not sure why Bournemouth would take the chance.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Im not sure the rules around the emergency loan system allow for waiving of the clause for recall after 28 days

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Come on fella...you were jumping onto every single Murray thread constantly saying there was nothing in it, he wasn't gonna sign etc.

There clearly IS something in it. Plenty of ITKs have suggested as much. We know for a FACT that he was a Hoskins broken foot away from rejoining us.

What is it that makes you so angry at people propagating these rumours, when there is perfectly logical reasons to think it may well be a goer?

MUG.

Maybe because there's been about 500 different threads on the subject and there was nothing in any of them. It's boring and unimaginative. And I was right, wasn't I? Because:

HE'S STILL NOT HERE.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'm not sure why Bournemouth would entertain no recall clause, particularly given the injuries they've had this year. Why risk the law of sod coming back and leaving your other strikers crocked with Murray banging goals in with us and Bournemouth unable to get him back?

Maybe if we did commit to a Summer purchase that would be enough, but I'm still not sure why Bournemouth would take the chance.

You may well be right, it doesn't make a lot of sense. However, if you are correct and we are pursuing this, then we must have been given an indication that it may be a goer, surely? Even the recall situation could potentially leave them short for 28 days (or 5 fixtures.)

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
So NSC is chucking all it's eggs in the Murray basket.

Let's assume, just for a horror inducing minute, that he DOESN'T join us.

For those who know a bit more than me about the squads in the league above us, who else is there who might be let go out on loan who COULD get us the goals we need?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
He obviously had a decent offer from Palace on the table, and it was a move he could make without even having to uproot his family. No brainer.

Seriously, whats he supposed to do ? Say "oh no, I can't sign for them because thats the Brighton fans main rivals" ?? Get real, how childish would that be. We brought him from Rochdale, he had no past association with us, he didn't come up through the ranks here, he's not "one of our own". He's just another professional footballer who made a career move - he owed us NOTHING.

Some fans seriously need to get over this notion that players are like fans. They're not. They're just passing through, looking to maximise their earnings in the few short years they've got before they're on the scrapheap. Like every single one of us would do were we in his position.
Exactly this - nothing wound me up more about the whole Murray 'affair' than the bleating about where he had gone to. It's us that the fans, the people on the pitch (with a few exceptions) are employees and once they move on they can go wherever they like imo.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
To be fair the general consensus has been that he would not be joining before the 25th.

That is rare common sense for this corner of the internet. But don't forget the numerous threads saying 'We should sign him', 'We're signing him' 'Warren says signing nearly complete' 'He's coming soon as the loan window opens'. Yawn.
Honestly, it feels like we've been stuck in the twilight zone for the last two months. I've never seen so much about one player. You'd think he was the second coming.

I almost hope it does happen just to remove all doubt.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Im not sure the rules around the emergency loan system allow for waiving of the clause for recall after 28 days

You might be right, I took 'may' in the below to indicate that it wasn't necessarily there:

53.3.9 Except for the specific circumstances provided for in Regulations 53.3.11, 53.3.12 and 54, the minimum duration of any Emergency Loan and Youth Loan shall be 28 days and the maximum duration of an Emergency Loan is 93 days. The loan period is inclusive of the starting date and the finishing date. Youth Loans may not extend beyond the date of the Player's 21st birthday.

53.3.10 Emergency Loans and Youth Loans may contain a break clause but only where that break clause is exercisable after the expiry of the initial 28 day period of the loan.

Source: http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/section6.aspx#ot7d576cup0fP5AO.99

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Honestly, it feels like we've been stuck in the twilight zone for the last two months. I've never seen so much about one player. You'd think he was the second coming.

no that was Zamora.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here